The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I’m still NED!

Forums General Melanoma Community I’m still NED!

Participant
      Hello Melanoma Family!!!
      I will scroll down reading posts from “Forum Friends’ who have helped me these last 2 years!
      I am happy to see Bubbles and Melanoma Mike still posting and will read about others.
      Diagnosed Stage 4 May’17. 3 of 4 combo cocktail Opdivo/Yervoy liver enzymes: hepatitis
      d, 4 months of Prednisone. Started Opdivo maintenance Jan ’18. I still get 1 mg (90) infusions
      every 2 weeks at Kaiser Woodland Hills. with bloodwork several days before. Pet Scans every 3 months, haven’t had brain MRI in a year, I had 5
      within a year tho. After 2 years of the same oncology nurses they are amazed that I am the lowest dose
      of Opdivo they have administered to any patient. Dr. Wang said I was his first patient to get such a low dose.
      Worried me initially. \
      Just had latest Pet scan report: still NED!
      Had lung mass, lymph node in armpit, groin, mass in chest, by pancreas-7 total that could be seen.
      Dr. said still Stage 4. But tested positive for the what I call mutant gene ha! and can get targeted therapy and radiation etc if necessary going forward.
      72 year old grandma of 6. I take Sadie my daughters labradoodle to Dog Park. Have been on 3 cruises in last year. I have a lot of arthritis and use a cane now.
      Short term memory is bad. Was referred to Palative Care. Trying Retalin to see if it will help with fatigue. Osteoarthritis, takin glucosamine for it.

Sat by a patient on my last treatment, over 80 years old, his bladder and kidney cancer gone.
      His wife hospitalized but ok with intestinal problems just finished all 4 combo treatments. Melanoma tumor on leg shrank,.
      Seems like those that are fortunate to have all 4 combo treatments do suffer some stronger side effects.
      My worst ones was the brain fog and rashes.
      Again thanks to all that have helped me with well wishes, advice etc these last 2 years. You gave me hope! (now I will scroll to see how my (forum friends are doing)
      Blessings, Sharon

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        sister of patient
        Participant
          Sharon, you rock!!!! Way to go and I’m so pleased you are out there living it! May NED be your forever state! Best wishes always!!

Barb

Bubbles
          Participant
            YAY!!! That is great to hear, Sharon. Hopefully your fatigue will gradually improve as well. Dr. Wang may need to take a look at the Weber study that I and many others participated in! It grew over the years to have many arms, but when I and the first 20 ratties started it in 2010 – there were only 2 arms – 1 for Stage IV peeps with advanced disease and 1 for Stage IV peeps who were NED after surgery or radiation like me. The first 10 of us in each arm were given only Nivo 1mg/kg for the duration of the trial. Since we didn’t croak or grow 3 heads, the next 10 ratties to each group were given nivo at 3mg/kg, and finally the last 20 were given 10mg/kg. Not surprisingly those who had the highest dose had the most side effects and did a little better. As a phase 1 trial, this one was instrumental in determining the dose that was finally adopted as appropriate by the FDA in 2014. It was also crucial in as it began to convince folks that immunotherapy could be effective as adjuvant. Here’s the published report if you are interested:
            http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/12/cest-moi-results-from-33-raties-in-my.html

All that to say the 2 1/2 years each of those ratties contributed to that study, has certainly made a great deal of difference to ever so many melanoma peeps. I am glad you have benefited!!! That is AWESOME! Live large! celeste

Julie in SoCal
            Participant
              Woohooooooo! This is such good news, Sharon.

Doing the happy dance with you!
              Julie

jbronicki
              Participant
                Wonderful news Sharon! NED is always a reason to celebrate and hoping you infinity of NED! Congrats and love that you are living life!
                Lucygoose
                Participant
                  Let’s Happy Dance <(“<) (>”)> <(“<) (>”)> <(“<) (>”)> <(“<) (>”)> <(“<) (>”)>? So happy to hear this news. Hope is a glorious thing. Your picture shows you din’t look anywhere near 72! You ROCK!
                  smiller
                  Participant
                    Sharon,
                    I am so very happy for you! My husband started treatment around the same time you did and made it through three of the four….had to stop because of side effects. At that time he decided on no more treatment of any kind. CT scans every three months have been good. After the scan last April, his oncologist said the could wait six months for the next one. I am somewhat uneasy about that but trying to stay calm. Is that even possible in the melanoma world?!
                    So thankful for this forum and people like you!
                    Jim’s wife
                    JBM629
                    Participant
                      I’m so happy for you! Thank you for sharing your story with me today. I’m trying so hard to stay positive and not let fear take over my life. Some days this still feels like a nightmare to me, and I can’t believe it’s happening. Encouragement and support from people like you are making a huge difference. I’m very grateful that I found this site and that people are willing to reach out. Your story has inspired me!!
                  Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics