The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I’m new and have a question re Atypical mild-moderate report

Forums General Melanoma Community I’m new and have a question re Atypical mild-moderate report

Participant

Hello everyone, I am new here and my question will probably seem very small for those of you with melanoma diagnosis.

A few days ago I had two moles biopsied, one on my upper leg & the other on my toe.  I got the report today.  Melanoma wasn't detected thankfully, however I am confused about what the report says and my doctor's interpretation….it seemed a bit grey.  One mole (on my toe) is atypical melonocytic lesion with junctional nests with bridging rate ridges, extension beyond confines & mild papillary dermal fibroplasia. There is no unequivocal evidence of malignant melanoma. Mild to moderately dysplastic.  Clinical correlation suggestion.   The second mole on my leg as a similar report, mentions crowded melanocytes and says no evidence of invasive melanoma seen, is noted as mild, yet suggests a conservative wider excision, which seems odd seeing it is mild, yet the other mild to moderate.

I spoke to my doctor who says she would just wait and watch, rather than excise further, particularly as it would be difficult to excise much from my toe.  Based on what many of you have experienced, what pathway would you take please? My mother had melanoma, so I'm keen to stay on top of this.

Thanks so much for your time and God bless.smiley

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Meli.Will
        Participant

I forgot to mention both were punch biopsies.  Not sure if that matters?  Thanks again.

Janner
            Participant

There is no real concensus among doctors on how to handle mild or moderately atypical nevi.  Some excise any atypia, some leave mild alone and maybe even moderate.  A viable alternative is to watch for any pigment regrowth and re-excise if they lesions start growing again.  This is your call as there is no universal guidelines.  Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Meli.Will
              Participant

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question; I appreciate your insights and thoughts. 

Kare83
                Participant

I don't have much to offer sorry, though maybe you could get a copy of the pathology report (if you haven't a copy already) and take it to a different doctor to see what they advise? They may just offer the same advice as the original dr, though it might give you more peace of mind.

Meli.Will
                  Participant

Thank you for your reply.  I got a copy of the report and have done some further research, so i think as long as I keep a good eye on my moles and get regular check ups, then that should be enough.  I think I have lots of Atypical moles on my body, which are probably unlikely to change.  Thanks again.

Meli.Will
                    Participant

Thank you for your reply.  I got a copy of the report and have done some further research, so i think as long as I keep a good eye on my moles and get regular check ups, then that should be enough.  I think I have lots of Atypical moles on my body, which are probably unlikely to change.  Thanks again.

Meli.Will
                      Participant

Kare83
                        Participant

I don't have much to offer sorry, though maybe you could get a copy of the pathology report (if you haven't a copy already) and take it to a different doctor to see what they advise? They may just offer the same advice as the original dr, though it might give you more peace of mind.

Kare83
                          Participant

Meli.Will
                            Participant

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question; I appreciate your insights and thoughts. 

Meli.Will
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

There is no real concensus among doctors on how to handle mild or moderately atypical nevi.  Some excise any atypia, some leave mild alone and maybe even moderate.  A viable alternative is to watch for any pigment regrowth and re-excise if they lesions start growing again.  This is your call as there is no universal guidelines.  Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Janner
                                  Participant

Meli.Will
                                  Participant

I forgot to mention both were punch biopsies.  Not sure if that matters?  Thanks again.

Meli.Will
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics