The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ILI

Participant
      Well I received my ILI at Moffitt on 9/5, it’s quite a procedure. 1 1/2 hrs in Cath lab placing catheter and pic line and another 2 1/2 hrs in the OR. 5day hospital stay. In 12 weeks they will do a PET to see if it worked.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant
          Hi Pink,
          Was it IL2 that you had?
          Karen
            JerryfromFauq
            Participant

Haven't heard of using IL-2 in ILI nor ILP.  These IL-2 in not a chemo.  The idea of ILI and ILP is that very highly toxic doses of cytotoxic chemo's can be administered to a limited area so that the who system will not be exposed to the extreme toxicity that is then administered. 

http://www.dovepress.com/isolated-limb-infusion-chemotherapy-for-melanoma-an-overview-of-early–peer-reviewed-article-CMAR

Conclusion: ILI chemotherapy is a useful technique, which can be readily repeated for control of melanoma in the limb. It is generally well tolerated, and is capable of achieving a cure, delayed progression, or effective palliation in selected cases. The longest survivors in this series were 8 and 10 years from the last ILI.

Keywords: metastatic melanoma, melphalan, actinomycin-D, regional therapy, intra-arterial infusion

NYKaren
              Participant
                I was thinking that Pink meant Ipi, but 5-day hospital stay and a pic-line sounds like IL-2.
                Karen
                JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Yep, 5 days and a Picc line  is common for IL-2 administration.  That was the only place I had seen those two items in a standard protocol before to.  Ipi is also immunotherapy and not a toxic chemotherapy.  ( I'm definitely saying that it is not toxic!  Just not considered chemotherapy.)

Percutaneous catheters were inserted into the axial artery and vein of the affected limb while using a pneumatic cuff to restrict limb vascular flow proximally to "isolate" the limb from the body and enable delivery of high-dose intra-arterial chemotherapy selectively to the limb.

Apparently the terms PICC line and arterial line are used interchangeably.  Here is another report on ILI.      http://www.fccc.edu/cancer/types/skin/melanoma/treatment/ili.html

I so far the only thing that talks about how long the hospital stay is : "Side effects are limited, but the limb must be monitored closely in the hospital for a few days following surgery."  http://www.nmh.org/nm/isolated-limb-infusion

http://www.nzmu.co.nz/Isolated_Limb_Infusion_82.aspx

The side effects listed here sound like the reason for the extended period of monitoring after the  ILI itself.

EFFECTS OF ISOLATED LIMB INFUSION

The treated limb normally becomes somewhat swollen, warm and pink for several days after an ILI. Sometimes mild “pins and needles” sensations are experienced for the first few days and very occasionally discomfort in the limb due to inflammation of nerves (neuritis) may persist for a few weeks. The skin may peel a little after a week or two, and growth of nails and hair on the treated limb usually ceases for several weeks. All these are expected results of treatment. They occur because some normal tissues are slightly affected at the same time as the cancer cells are destroyed.

Occasionally more dramatic inflammation of the limb occurs, especially when large doses of anti-cancer drugs and high limb temperatures are deliberately used in cases of disease which has recurred several times or which is particularly extensive. This inflammation usually settles completely in 4-6 weeks. If there is a lot of swelling of the limb in the first few days after an ILI, anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed and a minor operation to release the pressure in the limb may even be necessary on rare
                  occasions.

Patients who are particularly sensitive to the anti-cancer drugs sometimes experience mild nausea in the early post-operative period, but these symptoms are readily controlled with appropriate medications. A more serious but very rare side effect is thrombosis (clotting) in the veins or arteries of the limb. The risk of thrombosis is reduced by administering anti-coagulants (anti-clotting drugs) to the patient and into the limb during the operation, and by taking special precautions during the entire period of hospitalization. There is nevertheless a risk of limb loss as a result of an ILI, but the chance of this occurring is very small indeed (less than 0.5 %) – and it must be remembered that the only other effective treatment option is usually amputation.

Sometimes I wish I weren't so curious as to what the answer is to some of these questions!! 

Hopefully I'll never need some of this for myself, but it is interessting to learn it.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Yep, 5 days and a Picc line  is common for IL-2 administration.  That was the only place I had seen those two items in a standard protocol before to.  Ipi is also immunotherapy and not a toxic chemotherapy.  ( I'm definitely saying that it is not toxic!  Just not considered chemotherapy.)

Percutaneous catheters were inserted into the axial artery and vein of the affected limb while using a pneumatic cuff to restrict limb vascular flow proximally to "isolate" the limb from the body and enable delivery of high-dose intra-arterial chemotherapy selectively to the limb.

Apparently the terms PICC line and arterial line are used interchangeably.  Here is another report on ILI.      http://www.fccc.edu/cancer/types/skin/melanoma/treatment/ili.html

I so far the only thing that talks about how long the hospital stay is : "Side effects are limited, but the limb must be monitored closely in the hospital for a few days following surgery."  http://www.nmh.org/nm/isolated-limb-infusion

The side effects listed here sound like the reason for the extended period of monitoring after the  ILI itself.

The treated limb normally becomes somewhat swollen, warm and pink for several days after an ILI. Sometimes mild “pins and needles” sensations are experienced for the first few days and very occasionally discomfort in the limb due to inflammation of nerves (neuritis) may persist for a few weeks. The skin may peel a little after a week or two, and growth of nails and hair on the treated limb usually ceases for several weeks. All these are expected results of treatment. They occur because some normal tissues are slightly affected at the same time as the cancer cells are destroyed.

Occasionally more dramatic inflammation of the limb occurs, especially when large doses of anti-cancer drugs and high limb temperatures are deliberately used in cases of disease which has recurred several times or which is particularly extensive. This inflammation usually settles completely in 4-6 weeks. If there is a lot of swelling of the limb in the first few days after an ILI, anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed and a minor operation to release the pressure in the limb may even be necessary on rare
                    occasions.

Patients who are particularly sensitive to the anti-cancer drugs sometimes experience mild nausea in the early post-operative period, but these symptoms are readily controlled with appropriate medications. A more serious but very rare side effect is thrombosis (clotting) in the veins or arteries of the limb. The risk of thrombosis is reduced by administering anti-coagulants (anti-clotting drugs) to the patient and into the limb during the operation, and by taking special precautions during the entire period of hospitalization. There is nevertheless a risk of limb loss as a result of an ILI, but the chance of this occurring is very small indeed (less than 0.5 %) – and it must be remembered that the only other effective treatment option is usually amputation.

Sometimes I wish I weren't so curious as to what the answer is to some of these questions!! 

Hopefully I'll never need some of this for myself, but it is interessting to learn it.

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

occasions.

NYKaren
                      Participant
                        I was thinking that Pink meant Ipi, but 5-day hospital stay and a pic-line sounds like IL-2.
                        Karen
                        NYKaren
                        Participant
                          Karen
                          JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Haven't heard of using IL-2 in ILI nor ILP.  These IL-2 in not a chemo.  The idea of ILI and ILP is that very highly toxic doses of cytotoxic chemo's can be administered to a limited area so that the who system will not be exposed to the extreme toxicity that is then administered. 

http://www.dovepress.com/isolated-limb-infusion-chemotherapy-for-melanoma-an-overview-of-early–peer-reviewed-article-CMAR

Conclusion: ILI chemotherapy is a useful technique, which can be readily repeated for control of melanoma in the limb. It is generally well tolerated, and is capable of achieving a cure, delayed progression, or effective palliation in selected cases. The longest survivors in this series were 8 and 10 years from the last ILI.

Keywords: metastatic melanoma, melphalan, actinomycin-D, regional therapy, intra-arterial infusion

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

kylez
                              Participant

I think I remember from an earlier message from Pink, ILI for her is isolated limb infusion, similar to isolated limb perfusion. 

kylez
                                Participant

I think I remember from an earlier message from Pink, ILI for her is isolated limb infusion, similar to isolated limb perfusion. 

kylez
                                  Participant

NYKaren
                                  Participant
                                    Hi Pink,
                                    Was it IL2 that you had?
                                    Karen
                                    NYKaren
                                    Participant
                                      Hi Pink,
                                      Was it IL2 that you had?
                                      Karen
                                  Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics