The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IL 2 treatment completed weeks later hair loss

Forums General Melanoma Community IL 2 treatment completed weeks later hair loss

Participant

I finished round 4 of IL 2 treatment 4 weeks ago and within the last few days have been losing much hair.  I realize this is a less common side affect of treatment, but I wonder if anyone knows if it certain to be complete hair loss or extreme thinning? 

Thank you for any and all replies in advance.

Karin

I finished round 4 of IL 2 treatment 4 weeks ago and within the last few days have been losing much hair.  I realize this is a less common side affect of treatment, but I wonder if anyone knows if it certain to be complete hair loss or extreme thinning? 

Thank you for any and all replies in advance.

Karin

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Rocco
        Participant

Hi Karin,

About 6 weeks after I stopped IL-2 I started loosing hair.  This lasted for about 12 weeks.  I'm guessing that I lost about 1/3 of my hair all over my head.  I had a fairly thick head of hair to start with and most people wouldn't have noticed – but I certainly did.  The thinning eventually stopped, the hair grew back in – curley.  Then the curls ended up going away. 

Hang in there!

Rocco
          Participant

Hi Karin,

About 6 weeks after I stopped IL-2 I started loosing hair.  This lasted for about 12 weeks.  I'm guessing that I lost about 1/3 of my hair all over my head.  I had a fairly thick head of hair to start with and most people wouldn't have noticed – but I certainly did.  The thinning eventually stopped, the hair grew back in – curley.  Then the curls ended up going away. 

Hang in there!

ChrisB
            Participant

I don't think anyone can tell you for certain whether you will loose it all or not.

Like Rocco my hair started thinning around the 6th week after treatment ended.  I lost about 1/3 of it and it grew back just fine.

Best wishes,

Chris

ChrisB
              Participant

I don't think anyone can tell you for certain whether you will loose it all or not.

Like Rocco my hair started thinning around the 6th week after treatment ended.  I lost about 1/3 of it and it grew back just fine.

Best wishes,

Chris

Kim K
                Participant

Yup, my hair started thinning around week 4 and lasted for a couple of months.  After 3 months or so it stopped.  Not a problem, just annoying to have to keep cleaning out the shower drain – lol.  It wasn't noticeable to anyone except the person who cut my hair.  When my hair grew back it was all sticking out sort of because the short hairs were mixed in with the long ones.  Oh, and my mom complained about my shedding.  I have to say the dandruff trail I left behind after the first month was the worst. 

I jumped up and down a week after my second treatment and it was like I was in the middle of my own personal snow globe.  If anyone abducted me, no problem for a tracking dog to sniff my trail of epithelials!  We had hardwood floors and there was this flakey trail that kept following me……… OK getting TMI.

Considering how close to death they bring us, its no wonder our body goes into shock and we lose some hair as a result.  Let's see….. it was a race between my lungs filling with fluid, my kidneys shutting down completely, my liver enzymes going nuts, my electrolytes so out of control we were always playing catch up ( K+, Phos, Cl-, Mg++, Ca++ to name a few…..), the heart arrythmias, and finally spontaneous bleeding from my kidneys due to a very very low platelet count…..  Did I mention the best BP I could manage with support was 55/30?!

So yeah, no wonder my hair started to fall out!

Hell, at least it worked and I am now NED.

(Then again I have my 1 year scans next week – here's to staying NED *fingers crossed*)

BTW – how are you doing otherwise?  Still a responder?  Did you make the 6% club?

Take care,

Kim

Kim K
                  Participant

Yup, my hair started thinning around week 4 and lasted for a couple of months.  After 3 months or so it stopped.  Not a problem, just annoying to have to keep cleaning out the shower drain – lol.  It wasn't noticeable to anyone except the person who cut my hair.  When my hair grew back it was all sticking out sort of because the short hairs were mixed in with the long ones.  Oh, and my mom complained about my shedding.  I have to say the dandruff trail I left behind after the first month was the worst. 

I jumped up and down a week after my second treatment and it was like I was in the middle of my own personal snow globe.  If anyone abducted me, no problem for a tracking dog to sniff my trail of epithelials!  We had hardwood floors and there was this flakey trail that kept following me……… OK getting TMI.

Considering how close to death they bring us, its no wonder our body goes into shock and we lose some hair as a result.  Let's see….. it was a race between my lungs filling with fluid, my kidneys shutting down completely, my liver enzymes going nuts, my electrolytes so out of control we were always playing catch up ( K+, Phos, Cl-, Mg++, Ca++ to name a few…..), the heart arrythmias, and finally spontaneous bleeding from my kidneys due to a very very low platelet count…..  Did I mention the best BP I could manage with support was 55/30?!

So yeah, no wonder my hair started to fall out!

Hell, at least it worked and I am now NED.

(Then again I have my 1 year scans next week – here's to staying NED *fingers crossed*)

BTW – how are you doing otherwise?  Still a responder?  Did you make the 6% club?

Take care,

Kim

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics