The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IL – 2 Question

Forums General Melanoma Community IL – 2 Question

Participant

I did a course of IL – 2 in December. This was myu first treatment of any kind. I have lung nodules measuring 7 mm and smaller. I tolerated 8 bags week one and 5 bags week two.

I had a scan 6 weeks after treatment which showed stable disease and a scan 12 weeks after treatment which also showed stable disease.

My question is whether or not to do a second course of treatment or not.

I did a course of IL – 2 in December. This was myu first treatment of any kind. I have lung nodules measuring 7 mm and smaller. I tolerated 8 bags week one and 5 bags week two.

I had a scan 6 weeks after treatment which showed stable disease and a scan 12 weeks after treatment which also showed stable disease.

My question is whether or not to do a second course of treatment or not.

My doctor (Dutcher, St. Lukes Roosevelt in NYC) is recognized as one of the foremost experts in renal cell carcinoma, and also treats patients for melanoma. She has treated over 500 patients with high dose IL – 2. Her opinion is that I am a resoponder, that there is no data to show that doing a second course of treatment has proven benefit, and that I should scan in another 3 months.

I know many doctors recommend a second course as standard protocol. Does anyone know if there is data to show a second course of treatment has benefit? Thanks.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        cltml
        Participant

ad2424,

I had two huge lung tumors last summer when my onc put me on HD-IL2 in 5/11.  After the first course, one tumor shrunk and the other was stable, so I went for a second course of two cycles in 8/11.  After that, the tumor that had shrunk continued to shrink but the other one started to grow again.  Dr. Flaherty felt that since I was a mixed responder, I should not go thru with additional HD-IL2.  Throughout the winter, the shrinking tumor has continued to shrink until the last scans, where it was stable.

Waiting for three months for another scan sounds reasonable given that you have stable disease.  My experience demonstrated to me that IL2 has long lasting effect.

It sounds like your oncologist has quite a bit of experience but I can't think of a reason to not pop into MSK for a second opinion (other than cost, of course).  The melanoma team there is one of the best.

IL2 treatments weren't as bad as what I was led to believe, but those four weeks of my life were definitely not my favorite.  Congrats on your good results.

cltml

ad2424
            Participant

Thanks for that feedback. I'm with you about the treatment not being as bad as I was led to believe.

MSK is my primary treatment center, and they do not believe in, or offer IL-2, so unfortuately they would not offer a meaningful opinion.

You were in my shoes, and Dr. Flaherty suggested a second course, and you did it. Did he offer any guidance about the pros and cons of the second round?

cltml
              Participant

Yes, the pros were that the one tumor might continue to shrink and the other might start to shrink.

The cons – two more weeks of toxic ooze going into my body.

After the second course and the next scans, it was clear that it was a mixed response and that I needed to move on to something else to attack the growing tumor.  I was glad that I did it though.  Don't want to check off a treatment until I'm sure it won't work.

cltml

NYKaren
                Participant
                  Hi,
                  I’m treated at MSK also. I was told that they “outsource” their IL-2 patients to Yale New Haven. When I went to Yale, Dr. Sznol there was in constant contact w/my doc @ Sloan. I had some response from the 1st 2 weeks so I did 2 more. If I had continued responding, they were going to do an abbreviated 3rd round. We never got to that, as I stopped responding. The hospital is brand new and I found Dr. Sznol to be amazing. The nursing staff was amazing too. They also do clinical trials there. Maybe you’d want to consider a 2nd opinion @ Yale.
                  Hope this helps,
                  karen
                  NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Hi,
                    I’m treated at MSK also. I was told that they “outsource” their IL-2 patients to Yale New Haven. When I went to Yale, Dr. Sznol there was in constant contact w/my doc @ Sloan. I had some response from the 1st 2 weeks so I did 2 more. If I had continued responding, they were going to do an abbreviated 3rd round. We never got to that, as I stopped responding. The hospital is brand new and I found Dr. Sznol to be amazing. The nursing staff was amazing too. They also do clinical trials there. Maybe you’d want to consider a 2nd opinion @ Yale.
                    Hope this helps,
                    karen
                    NYKaren
                    Participant
                      Hi,
                      Hope this helps,
                      karen
                      cltml
                      Participant

Yes, the pros were that the one tumor might continue to shrink and the other might start to shrink.

After the second course and the next scans, it was clear that it was a mixed response and that I needed to move on to something else to attack the growing tumor.  I was glad that I did it though.  Don't want to check off a treatment until I'm sure it won't work.

cltml

cltml
                        Participant

cltml

ad2424
                          Participant

Thanks for that feedback. I'm with you about the treatment not being as bad as I was led to believe.

MSK is my primary treatment center, and they do not believe in, or offer IL-2, so unfortuately they would not offer a meaningful opinion.

You were in my shoes, and Dr. Flaherty suggested a second course, and you did it. Did he offer any guidance about the pros and cons of the second round?

ad2424
                            Participant

cltml
                            Participant

ad2424,

I had two huge lung tumors last summer when my onc put me on HD-IL2 in 5/11.  After the first course, one tumor shrunk and the other was stable, so I went for a second course of two cycles in 8/11.  After that, the tumor that had shrunk continued to shrink but the other one started to grow again.  Dr. Flaherty felt that since I was a mixed responder, I should not go thru with additional HD-IL2.  Throughout the winter, the shrinking tumor has continued to shrink until the last scans, where it was stable.

Waiting for three months for another scan sounds reasonable given that you have stable disease.  My experience demonstrated to me that IL2 has long lasting effect.

It sounds like your oncologist has quite a bit of experience but I can't think of a reason to not pop into MSK for a second opinion (other than cost, of course).  The melanoma team there is one of the best.

IL2 treatments weren't as bad as what I was led to believe, but those four weeks of my life were definitely not my favorite.  Congrats on your good results.

cltml

cltml
                              Participant

ad2424,

cltml

TSchulz
                                Participant

My response to IL-2 was very similar to yours.  I went through the treatment at the University of Washington, tolerating 14 and 13 doses.  After my 12 week scan showed essentially stable disease with one tumor maybe 1mm larger she recommended against going through more IL-2.  She believes those who are going to benefit the most from IL-2 will show a better response than just stable disease after the first 2 cycles.  I couldn't find much data to support pushing for another round and we agreed to move on to a clinical trial. 

I'm with you, I didn't find (or don't remember) the IL-2 torture test to be as bad as advertised.  Waiting until your next scan to make a decision seems reasonable.  It also allows you to do your homework about what you may want to consider as "Plan B" or get a real second opinion.

Good luck with it all.  It is unfortunate that treatment options are not more clear for us all.  Hopefully someday there will be a much straighter path to solving this problem. 

TSchulz
                                  Participant

My response to IL-2 was very similar to yours.  I went through the treatment at the University of Washington, tolerating 14 and 13 doses.  After my 12 week scan showed essentially stable disease with one tumor maybe 1mm larger she recommended against going through more IL-2.  She believes those who are going to benefit the most from IL-2 will show a better response than just stable disease after the first 2 cycles.  I couldn't find much data to support pushing for another round and we agreed to move on to a clinical trial. 

I'm with you, I didn't find (or don't remember) the IL-2 torture test to be as bad as advertised.  Waiting until your next scan to make a decision seems reasonable.  It also allows you to do your homework about what you may want to consider as "Plan B" or get a real second opinion.

Good luck with it all.  It is unfortunate that treatment options are not more clear for us all.  Hopefully someday there will be a much straighter path to solving this problem. 

TSchulz
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics