The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IL-2 and a rare side effect – optic neuropathy

Forums General Melanoma Community IL-2 and a rare side effect – optic neuropathy

Participant

Well, as I had mentioned before, Dave finished his second week of IL-2 last Friday, September 16.  Other than the usual side effects (fatigue, itchy, peeling skin) he felt well.  However, on Sunday afternoon he started complaining of blurry vision.  On Monday and Tuesday it was the same, and Wednesday morning it was bad enough to call his oncologist (Dr.

Well, as I had mentioned before, Dave finished his second week of IL-2 last Friday, September 16.  Other than the usual side effects (fatigue, itchy, peeling skin) he felt well.  However, on Sunday afternoon he started complaining of blurry vision.  On Monday and Tuesday it was the same, and Wednesday morning it was bad enough to call his oncologist (Dr. Khushulani).  He told him to see his optholmologist immediately (Dave is blind in his left eye due to a childhood injury).  His optic nerve was slightly swollen, so he recommended a brain MRI to rule out brain mets.  MRI was good, so his onc and optho agreed it was a rare side effect and would improve.  However, by Friday morning Dave's vision decreased so much he could no longer see.  We rushed him back into his optholmologist, who confirmed that by then Dave's optic nerve and optic disc were severely swollen.  They immediately started him on 80mg prednisone to decrease the swelling, knowing that the steroids would contradict the IL-2.  However, to Dave this was a quality vs quantity of life issue – and he wanted his vision back.  Since his optho was not 100% sure of Dave's vision returning, I cannot tell you how happy we were that he woke up this morning and could see shadows and muted colors again – a significant improvement. 

Apparently, Dave had a "toxic" reaction to the IL-2.  We do not know what triggered this or whether it had to do with the fact that he had his other eye removed 10 years ago (he had kept his bad eye, and eventually developed glaucoma in it).  The prednisone seems to be working, and we are hoping that his vision continues to improve to normal over the next week.

I thought I would throw this out to the board in the event anybody else ever encounters this.  We (meaning I, the onc, the optho) could not find a case study or any reference where this had happened before.  But maybe, if this ever happens to anybody else, our situation would pop up in their search.

Most certainly Dave will be looking into other treatment options, but in the meantime, I still believe that IL-2 (or studies involving IL-2) is your best chance for first line complete response.  I just keep praying that eventually, they will find a better one.

Best wishes to you all,

Maria

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        melissa ann
        Participant

Hi Maria, I am sorry to hear about Dave's vision difficulties, I hope the steroids continue to work their magic.  My husband did not have optic neuropathy however he did have neuropathy in both of his arms and hands which caused him to stop IL2 after the second course.  The swelling caused carpal tunnel syndrome in his left arm, and his right arm fixed itself. (Thank goodness because that is the one that has lymphadema from surgery several years ago.)  The docs here in Charlotte said that they had seen this once before with IL2.  Happy thoughts for your next treatment journey. 

melissa ann
          Participant

Hi Maria, I am sorry to hear about Dave's vision difficulties, I hope the steroids continue to work their magic.  My husband did not have optic neuropathy however he did have neuropathy in both of his arms and hands which caused him to stop IL2 after the second course.  The swelling caused carpal tunnel syndrome in his left arm, and his right arm fixed itself. (Thank goodness because that is the one that has lymphadema from surgery several years ago.)  The docs here in Charlotte said that they had seen this once before with IL2.  Happy thoughts for your next treatment journey. 

JerryfromFauq
            Participant

Gld to here about the improvement in the vision.  I kow what  it's like worry about the eyes.  Do let us know about the future with the il-2 treatments. 

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Gld to here about the improvement in the vision.  I kow what  it's like worry about the eyes.  Do let us know about the future with the il-2 treatments. 

jim Breitfeller
                Participant

http://melanomamissionary.blogspot.com/">Maria,

One of the rare side effects to IL-2 therapy is Optic Neuropathy. This is an autoimmune response to the therapy. This means that the two doses of IL-2 has activated Dave's immune system. I myself ended with three doses before I had to stop the IL-2 tharapy. Today…NED going on 4yrs. I wish Dave the same.

So here is the deal. Dave may want to (Watch and wait) and get a Scan. If there are no new tumors and no progression, I would continue to watch and wait. The immune response takes about 86-112 days to show any shrinkage. Have a backup plan just in case.

Please keep us informed and give my best to Dave.

best regards,

Jimmy B

http://melanomamissionary.blogspot.com/

MariaH
                    Participant

Thank you all so much for replying.  Dave's eye sight has improved again, although not back to normal yet.  Dr. Khushalani also mentioned that those producing an autoimmune reaction had better response rates.  My fear though is that the prednisone may be cancelling out any effect IL-2 had on the tumors.  He goes back to the optho this morning, so I'll update this thread when we get the results.  I am going to ask the doc if it would be appropiate to discontinue the steroids once his vision has returned to normal, or if he would have to remain on it for the 14 day course. 

We were looking for a complete response with IL-2, but I will say that if his scans show stability, he'll take that and not do another round of IL-2. 

We'll keep you all posted,

Best wishes,

Maria

ValinMtl
                      Participant

Maria, you and Dave are in my thoughts and prayers, glad to hear there is improvement and that eye sight will go back to normal soon.  Pray for an excellent response.  Val xx

ValinMtl
                        Participant

Maria, you and Dave are in my thoughts and prayers, glad to hear there is improvement and that eye sight will go back to normal soon.  Pray for an excellent response.  Val xx

MariaH
                          Participant

Thank you all so much for replying.  Dave's eye sight has improved again, although not back to normal yet.  Dr. Khushalani also mentioned that those producing an autoimmune reaction had better response rates.  My fear though is that the prednisone may be cancelling out any effect IL-2 had on the tumors.  He goes back to the optho this morning, so I'll update this thread when we get the results.  I am going to ask the doc if it would be appropiate to discontinue the steroids once his vision has returned to normal, or if he would have to remain on it for the 14 day course. 

We were looking for a complete response with IL-2, but I will say that if his scans show stability, he'll take that and not do another round of IL-2. 

We'll keep you all posted,

Best wishes,

Maria

jim Breitfeller
                          Participant

http://melanomamissionary.blogspot.com/">Maria,

One of the rare side effects to IL-2 therapy is Optic Neuropathy. This is an autoimmune response to the therapy. This means that the two doses of IL-2 has activated Dave's immune system. I myself ended with three doses before I had to stop the IL-2 tharapy. Today…NED going on 4yrs. I wish Dave the same.

So here is the deal. Dave may want to (Watch and wait) and get a Scan. If there are no new tumors and no progression, I would continue to watch and wait. The immune response takes about 86-112 days to show any shrinkage. Have a backup plan just in case.

Please keep us informed and give my best to Dave.

best regards,

Jimmy B

http://melanomamissionary.blogspot.com/

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics