The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

If cancer survivor Senator Arlen Specter avoids sugar, white flour, etc., because it “feeds tumors”, then so should all of us!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community If cancer survivor Senator Arlen Specter avoids sugar, white flour, etc., because it “feeds tumors”, then so should all of us!!!

Participant

If modifying our lifestyle can lead to A Lifestyle, then why not do it?

Pray to your god, feed your body and mind properly, make smart decisions on doctors, and make smart decisions on drugs, if they are necessary.

We all have to do what we can.

If modifying our lifestyle can lead to A Lifestyle, then why not do it?

Pray to your god, feed your body and mind properly, make smart decisions on doctors, and make smart decisions on drugs, if they are necessary.

We all have to do what we can.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

I talked to a couple melanoma oncologists about this…they said the body will convert the sugar from other sources…they believe eating healthy is eating a balanced diet- but they also pointed out  that cutting out sugar, flour, fruits etc isn't a good idea..as many of them boost the immune system…just another opinion…

I am prediabetic and I do watch my intakes however…

Dynasysman
            Participant
              The advice I have gotten is that refined flours and high glycemic index sugars are to be avoided, and that I should try to eat more vegetables and fewer fruits. A diet rich in varied vegetables combined with dark fruits and berries should provide a rich source of phyto-nutrients for fighting cancer alonig with sufficient sugar for our (fairly minimal) needs. I believe that is the diet to which Senator Spector refers.
              Dynasysman
              Participant
                The advice I have gotten is that refined flours and high glycemic index sugars are to be avoided, and that I should try to eat more vegetables and fewer fruits. A diet rich in varied vegetables combined with dark fruits and berries should provide a rich source of phyto-nutrients for fighting cancer alonig with sufficient sugar for our (fairly minimal) needs. I believe that is the diet to which Senator Spector refers.
                JakeinNY
                Participant

Hi Lynn,

If melanoma cells suck up radioactive glucose on the PET scan, then that tells me that I don't want much of that. Cutting out sugar and processed flour is a good thing for us, while low glycemic fruits are the way to go. It's your choice. You can eat white bread and coca cola but I'll take whole wheat and pure water anyday. I know that it's better for my body.

Best wishes for a long life.

JakeinNY
                  Participant

Hi Lynn,

If melanoma cells suck up radioactive glucose on the PET scan, then that tells me that I don't want much of that. Cutting out sugar and processed flour is a good thing for us, while low glycemic fruits are the way to go. It's your choice. You can eat white bread and coca cola but I'll take whole wheat and pure water anyday. I know that it's better for my body.

LynnLuc
                    Participant

I actually make my own bread and I do prefer wheat over white…however it will still be converted to sugar…I am not knocking people's diets…I am saying I asked the questions to 3 onc's I saw when I was their patient in th beginning and that was their response…I have a hubby who pushed vitamins, fruits and fresh veggies in me every way possible…but when you are already stage 4 you can't undo anything with just a diet…I ate healthy before…

JakeinNY
                      Participant

Hi Lynn,

I think the thing is that you want the conversion to be slow, such as you get with unrefined grains as opposed to refined grains. I believe that the process is the spike in blood sugar leads to an increase in insulin production which leads to tumor growth. It says something when a respected US senator avoids the things I mentioned to give himself a better chance. Stay well and live life with a smile.

JakeinNY
                        Participant

Hi Lynn,

I think the thing is that you want the conversion to be slow, such as you get with unrefined grains as opposed to refined grains. I believe that the process is the spike in blood sugar leads to an increase in insulin production which leads to tumor growth. It says something when a respected US senator avoids the things I mentioned to give himself a better chance. Stay well and live life with a smile.

LynnLuc
                          Participant

I actually make my own bread and I do prefer wheat over white…however it will still be converted to sugar…I am not knocking people's diets…I am saying I asked the questions to 3 onc's I saw when I was their patient in th beginning and that was their response…I have a hubby who pushed vitamins, fruits and fresh veggies in me every way possible…but when you are already stage 4 you can't undo anything with just a diet…I ate healthy before…

LynnLuc
                          Participant

I talked to a couple melanoma oncologists about this…they said the body will convert the sugar from other sources…they believe eating healthy is eating a balanced diet- but they also pointed out  that cutting out sugar, flour, fruits etc isn't a good idea..as many of them boost the immune system…just another opinion…

I am prediabetic and I do watch my intakes however…

dian in spokane
                            Participant

This kind of ..discounts the people who DO change their lifestyles and still die. I've known people here who were righteous, and I mean..very very close to God, who have died..it surely wasn't because they didn't pray enough. AND I've known people here who have gone completely clean in their diet, Natural Ron for instance, and others who've gone macrobiotic or vegetarian, balanced their PH, quite processed sugar and flour ..they died.

And while Arlen probably has access to some really great health care..sometimes even the best doctors can't help.

I've seen innocent children die, who haven't even had the chance to have any bad behaviors.

And I'm fairly well acquainted with some heathens and atheists who drink like fish, smoke cigarettes and eat candy by the pound who are still kickin'.

It's true that we all have to 'do what we can', but..for some of us, that means drinking and dancing.

dian

JakeinNY
                                Participant

Dian,

This does not discount those that did change and still died.

There is no guarantee that if you do this, everything will be alright, but I"m sure that, at worst, it won't help, and at best, it will help tremendously.

Keep on dancing and if you must drink, at least make it red wine as it has some nutritional values.

JakeinNY
                                  Participant

Dian,

This does not discount those that did change and still died.

There is no guarantee that if you do this, everything will be alright, but I"m sure that, at worst, it won't help, and at best, it will help tremendously.

Keep on dancing and if you must drink, at least make it red wine as it has some nutritional values.

ChristineL
                                    Participant

Dian,

Although I eat "cleanly" like you say, I'll be drinking and dancing next to you!

ChristineL

ChristineL
                                      Participant

Dian,

Although I eat "cleanly" like you say, I'll be drinking and dancing next to you!

ChristineL

NicOz
                                        Participant

"I'm fairly well acquainted with some heathens and atheists who drink like fish, smoke cigarettes and eat candy by the pound who are still kickin'."  – You talking about me, Dian? 😀 (Not so much the candy though, unless I'm on steroids :P)

I hear what you're saying, Di. I'm all for people doing whatever they feel they need to do and sharing those thoughts with others in the hope it will help them, but I very much object to being told what I SHOULD do, and what I HAVE TO DO. At this point in my life, I'll choose my own response to my disease. One thing *I* have come to believe over the last 2.5 years here, is that melanoma is an equal opportunity attacker and doesn't seem to take into account variables such as religious belief, diet, attitude etc.

dian in spokane
                                          Participant

we live on the same page Nic!

dian in spokane
                                            Participant

we live on the same page Nic!

NicOz
                                              Participant

"I'm fairly well acquainted with some heathens and atheists who drink like fish, smoke cigarettes and eat candy by the pound who are still kickin'."  – You talking about me, Dian? 😀 (Not so much the candy though, unless I'm on steroids :P)

I hear what you're saying, Di. I'm all for people doing whatever they feel they need to do and sharing those thoughts with others in the hope it will help them, but I very much object to being told what I SHOULD do, and what I HAVE TO DO. At this point in my life, I'll choose my own response to my disease. One thing *I* have come to believe over the last 2.5 years here, is that melanoma is an equal opportunity attacker and doesn't seem to take into account variables such as religious belief, diet, attitude etc.

dian in spokane
                                              Participant

This kind of ..discounts the people who DO change their lifestyles and still die. I've known people here who were righteous, and I mean..very very close to God, who have died..it surely wasn't because they didn't pray enough. AND I've known people here who have gone completely clean in their diet, Natural Ron for instance, and others who've gone macrobiotic or vegetarian, balanced their PH, quite processed sugar and flour ..they died.

And while Arlen probably has access to some really great health care..sometimes even the best doctors can't help.

I've seen innocent children die, who haven't even had the chance to have any bad behaviors.

And I'm fairly well acquainted with some heathens and atheists who drink like fish, smoke cigarettes and eat candy by the pound who are still kickin'.

It's true that we all have to 'do what we can', but..for some of us, that means drinking and dancing.

dian

ipi in DC
                                                Participant

A year ago I changed my diet to eliminate sugar and White flour and eat more vegetables plus a few supplements. I did go to stage 4 anyways. I am on the Ipi/temador trial now and seem to be responding. I believe you have to do what feels right to you, and sometimes just that mental boost can help, whether you stop eating sugar and cleaning up your diet and exercise, or going crazy and feasting like a lazy pig (me prior to diagnoses). I do believe you need to give you own body and immune system every chance to fight and help out the doctors to cure or at least extend your time here. I personally don't believe you can do a thing to change the date and time you are going to die, but you can change the way you live until then. Besides I feel great and am back to doing things I haven't done for years just by cleaning up my lifestyle.

David

killmel
                                                    Participant

Hi David,

I agree with your opinion 100%.

It is wonderful that your feel great!!! How long have you been on IPI?? Did you have any side effectts and how did you manage them.

Thank for any feedback on IPI?

W

ipi in DC
                                                      Participant

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I have been on the trial for about 20 weeks I belive. The Temador give me a flu type feeling at the last day and really fluish for two days following then back to 100%. As far as the Ipi as I'm sure you have read the rash and itch seems to be the main issue, it seems to be worse if you are responding. Mine started as a itch on the lower back after the first dose, then got worse and spread over the next 4 doses. To where it was in my armpits, back, ribs, pelvic area, tops of feet and thighs. Now it has backed off to mainly just the itching, the only place I have a rash is my right thigh (probably due to the LND in the right groin). I found that Gold Bond green label lotion and powder combined did the best at controlling the itching to a tolerable level.

David

ipi in DC
                                                        Participant

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I have been on the trial for about 20 weeks I belive. The Temador give me a flu type feeling at the last day and really fluish for two days following then back to 100%. As far as the Ipi as I'm sure you have read the rash and itch seems to be the main issue, it seems to be worse if you are responding. Mine started as a itch on the lower back after the first dose, then got worse and spread over the next 4 doses. To where it was in my armpits, back, ribs, pelvic area, tops of feet and thighs. Now it has backed off to mainly just the itching, the only place I have a rash is my right thigh (probably due to the LND in the right groin). I found that Gold Bond green label lotion and powder combined did the best at controlling the itching to a tolerable level.

David

killmel
                                                          Participant

Hi David,

I agree with your opinion 100%.

It is wonderful that your feel great!!! How long have you been on IPI?? Did you have any side effectts and how did you manage them.

Thank for any feedback on IPI?

W

JakeinNY
                                                            Participant

Hi David,

I agree with most of what you say, however, one thing:

You said the following:

"A year ago I changed my diet to eliminate sugar and White flour and eat more vegetables plus a few supplements. I did go to stage 4 anyways"

and then:

"going crazy and feasting like a lazy pig (me prior to diagnoses)".

I'm just confused, what stage were you when you changed your diet (your first quote that I mentioned) and what stage were you when you "went crazy" (your 2nd quote that I listed)?

Jake

JakeinNY
                                                              Participant

Hi David,

I agree with most of what you say, however, one thing:

You said the following:

"A year ago I changed my diet to eliminate sugar and White flour and eat more vegetables plus a few supplements. I did go to stage 4 anyways"

and then:

"going crazy and feasting like a lazy pig (me prior to diagnoses)".

I'm just confused, what stage were you when you changed your diet (your first quote that I mentioned) and what stage were you when you "went crazy" (your 2nd quote that I listed)?

Jake

ipi in DC
                                                              Participant

A year ago I changed my diet to eliminate sugar and White flour and eat more vegetables plus a few supplements. I did go to stage 4 anyways. I am on the Ipi/temador trial now and seem to be responding. I believe you have to do what feels right to you, and sometimes just that mental boost can help, whether you stop eating sugar and cleaning up your diet and exercise, or going crazy and feasting like a lazy pig (me prior to diagnoses). I do believe you need to give you own body and immune system every chance to fight and help out the doctors to cure or at least extend your time here. I personally don't believe you can do a thing to change the date and time you are going to die, but you can change the way you live until then. Besides I feel great and am back to doing things I haven't done for years just by cleaning up my lifestyle.

David

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics