The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ideal IL2

Forums General Melanoma Community Ideal IL2

Participant

I have a question about the whole IL2 process. Is the best case scenario is that the tumors shrink, or is there a possibility of them disappearing? And if there is  positive results after the 1 week on, 1 week off, 1 week on, what is the next step? Another week on, week off, week on? What is the spacing between treatments? How many do you do? 

I have a question about the whole IL2 process. Is the best case scenario is that the tumors shrink, or is there a possibility of them disappearing? And if there is  positive results after the 1 week on, 1 week off, 1 week on, what is the next step? Another week on, week off, week on? What is the spacing between treatments? How many do you do? 

The week between treatments, should all the weight come off? Should the patient feel back to "normal" the first day they go back to the hospital for the 2nd phase? Does the first amount of bags allowed correlate to the second amount allowed?

Those of you that did this treatment, do you feel eating a banana a day helped? What about walking each day?

IS there anything my brother should be doing this week besides resting?

Thank you for any information you can give me!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Karin L
        Participant

We all know everyone responds differently, so I will give you my particular experience. 

I am 8mos. out of finishing treatment.  Many tumors in my liver have disappeared completely.  The couple of subborn ones are still shrinking last scan 12/9/11 as well as the lymph node tumors.

I had positive results actually begin showing in the hospital with my LDH numbers week 1, so I did week 1, week off, week 2 and then scan.  Positive results fo back in after 4wks. for week 1 and last week 2.  Scans every 2mos. until lately we are at 4mo. scans.

The water weight will come off quite quickly…few days.  Lasix helps this. 

You feel pretty good after a a few days out of the hospital.  Strength builds back up daily. 

My potassium did drop so I can't see where a banana would hurt anything if he can eat it.  I lost ALL my appetite and had severe mouth soreness.  If he feels up to walking, by all means go for it!

I found subsequent weeks in and out to get somewhat harder as the treatment affects are cumulative.

Karin

Karin L
          Participant

We all know everyone responds differently, so I will give you my particular experience. 

I am 8mos. out of finishing treatment.  Many tumors in my liver have disappeared completely.  The couple of subborn ones are still shrinking last scan 12/9/11 as well as the lymph node tumors.

I had positive results actually begin showing in the hospital with my LDH numbers week 1, so I did week 1, week off, week 2 and then scan.  Positive results fo back in after 4wks. for week 1 and last week 2.  Scans every 2mos. until lately we are at 4mo. scans.

You feel pretty good after a a few days out of the hospital.  Strength builds back up daily. 

My potassium did drop so I can't see where a banana would hurt anything if he can eat it.  I lost ALL my appetite and had severe mouth soreness.  If he feels up to walking, by all means go for it!

I found subsequent weeks in and out to get somewhat harder as the treatment affects are cumulative.

Karin

Karin L
            Participant

Karin

SuzannefromCA
              Participant

Hi Kelly,

I had IL-2 in 2006 as well as Biochemotherapy. I would be in the hospital for 5 days at a time and 3 weeks off. I did this 6 times (6 mos.) Then I did what is termed "Maintenance" or "Pulse" which was IL-2 for the next 12 months. I was in the hospital 3 days and then back in the 4th week. I had a lung met and I was a complete responder, it totally shrunk my tumor away. I am 5 years NED. I walked as much as possible while I was in the hospital and when I was home I took a nap every day. I ate whatever sounded good, I was worried that I would lose 20lbs. like my doctor said most people do.

I had a huge craving for mexican food! As for the water weight gain, it comes off a few days after getting home.

Your brother is lucky to have such an advocate as yourself!

Best of luck to your brother. Do not hesitate to ask me anything,

Suzanne

Kelly7
                  Participant

Suzanne,

Thank you for the reply with your good news! Im so happy it worked for you! My brother has 3 legions on his lung, and we will know if the IL2 is working in another 4 weeks. He has lost about 22 lbs from when he was diagnosed late January, plus all that water weight. He gained 44 lbs that last week in the hospital.

Your story is encouraging and I will share it with him!!!! Is there anything you are doing on a daily basis now to continue with your health?

Thank you for any help! And again, Im so happy you are 5 years NED!!

Kelly:)

SuzannefromCA
                    Participant

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for the kind comments! The things that I am doing now is to lower my sugar intake, I use agave nectar and stevia. I also try to eat organic produce as much as possible, as well as grass fed beef (not too often of a beef eater) and organic chicken and eggs. I also use products on myself as well as in my home that are eco friendly and non toxic. As our skin is the largest organ, I sure don't want to subject my body with any yucky toxins. I use Dr. Bronner Peppermint Soap, Burt's Bees deodorant, and a wealth of other things. I use eco friendly laundry detergent as well and the dryer cloths too.

The water weight gain is unbelievable, isn't it? When I was in treatment, as soon as I got home I was craving Mexican food! I could not get enough Chipotle. I think that is why I didn't lose much weight!

I hope and pray that the IL-2 will shrink those suckers away! That is what happened with me, but I had one nodule. Please keep in touch! If you are on facebook, I am Suzanne Bodine Lescure if you would like to friend request me!

hugs to you and your brother, tell him to never give up!

~Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                      Participant

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for the kind comments! The things that I am doing now is to lower my sugar intake, I use agave nectar and stevia. I also try to eat organic produce as much as possible, as well as grass fed beef (not too often of a beef eater) and organic chicken and eggs. I also use products on myself as well as in my home that are eco friendly and non toxic. As our skin is the largest organ, I sure don't want to subject my body with any yucky toxins. I use Dr. Bronner Peppermint Soap, Burt's Bees deodorant, and a wealth of other things. I use eco friendly laundry detergent as well and the dryer cloths too.

The water weight gain is unbelievable, isn't it? When I was in treatment, as soon as I got home I was craving Mexican food! I could not get enough Chipotle. I think that is why I didn't lose much weight!

I hope and pray that the IL-2 will shrink those suckers away! That is what happened with me, but I had one nodule. Please keep in touch! If you are on facebook, I am Suzanne Bodine Lescure if you would like to friend request me!

~Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                        Participant

Hi Kelly,

~Suzanne

Kelly7
                          Participant

Suzanne,

Thank you for the reply with your good news! Im so happy it worked for you! My brother has 3 legions on his lung, and we will know if the IL2 is working in another 4 weeks. He has lost about 22 lbs from when he was diagnosed late January, plus all that water weight. He gained 44 lbs that last week in the hospital.

Your story is encouraging and I will share it with him!!!! Is there anything you are doing on a daily basis now to continue with your health?

Kelly7
                            Participant

Suzanne,

SuzannefromCA
                            Participant

Hi Kelly,

I had IL-2 in 2006 as well as Biochemotherapy. I would be in the hospital for 5 days at a time and 3 weeks off. I did this 6 times (6 mos.) Then I did what is termed "Maintenance" or "Pulse" which was IL-2 for the next 12 months. I was in the hospital 3 days and then back in the 4th week. I had a lung met and I was a complete responder, it totally shrunk my tumor away. I am 5 years NED. I walked as much as possible while I was in the hospital and when I was home I took a nap every day. I ate whatever sounded good, I was worried that I would lose 20lbs. like my doctor said most people do.

I had a huge craving for mexican food! As for the water weight gain, it comes off a few days after getting home.

Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                              Participant

Hi Kelly,

Suzanne

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics