The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I thought I was done here… Need advice

Forums General Melanoma Community I thought I was done here… Need advice

Participant

I check this board regularly…

I check this board regularly… but I thought it was just infomational/ research so that I could keep on top of the treatment of this disease so I can help with the fight and keep in the loop for my two young kids.  I lost my husband to melanoma almost 5 months ago.  I was on here daily, fighting to find some info that would save him.  I got a lot of great info.  I just got results of my own biopsy – it is melanoma in situ.  All I can think of are my kids – how can I prevent them from going through all tlhe suffering that their daddy went through with such a strong family history. 

I am on the hunt again for any information.  In the meantime – just a WLE and watch and wait……. but  how can I watch and wait when I know what this "oh its nothing" can turn into a big something.  Is there anything else that I can do instead of just a WLE and wait?!?!?!  What choices do I have?  My husband had the same choice at stage 3.  I'm just beginning again, but is the current state of things the same as 2 years ago?  Unless I  let this spread I have no other option but wait?  I will go back to my clinical trial research, but it obviously didn't help my husband much.  What can I do differently?

JenC

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Jen, I can understand your worry after losing your husband but I am sure that if you can stop and think about this rationally you will know that Melanoma when found in-situ has virtually a 100% cure rate.  What can you do differently, unfortunately probably not much.  It's the regular advice.  Eat a healthy diet, be sun wise, have regular skin checks (which obviously you have done). 

You can help you children make wise choices but please be careful not to over protect them.  They desperately need to get back to some sort of normal life. 

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

Wait and Watch 18 months NED

washoegal
          Participant

Jen, I can understand your worry after losing your husband but I am sure that if you can stop and think about this rationally you will know that Melanoma when found in-situ has virtually a 100% cure rate.  What can you do differently, unfortunately probably not much.  It's the regular advice.  Eat a healthy diet, be sun wise, have regular skin checks (which obviously you have done). 

You can help you children make wise choices but please be careful not to over protect them.  They desperately need to get back to some sort of normal life. 

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
            Participant

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics