The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I think this is the end.

Forums General Melanoma Community I think this is the end.

Participant

So I've posted 2 topics about my fathers condition in the last weeks. Unfortunately i think he has now reached his final days. 

Last Thursday he got an infusion with human albumine. The next Day (Friday) he was extremely exhausted, short of breath and had a hard time even to get out of bed and go to the bathroom. In the evening we noticed that he forgot some things  – he couldn't remember some names and became a bit confused. First, we thought it was because of his exhaustion or tiredness or maybe a side effect from the infusion. On Saturday, things got a bit worse (confusion/blurred sight, abdominal pain) but he could speak and walk at least a bit. On Sunday he stayed in bed most of the day and spoke very slow but things got then much worse so we called in a nurse from the palliative care who gave him strong pain meds because he mainly complained about his severe abdominal pain. He slept until the evening and then got up a bit but he was totally confused. In the night it was a nightmare. He was then brought to the hospital early today morning – we now think he has got a stroke. he can't even recognize his children and is totally confused and not able to walk.

So now we can only wait, we don't have any new information yet. 

Please everyone, if you notice things like confusion, blurred sight or not being able to walk – do not only think of side effects from cancer therapy (he was on nivolumab) but also check for strokes!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        emagdnim83
        Participant

Quick update: according to the doctors, brain mets causing this are still a possibility, they will do a CT today.  last ct was mid september where "only" a small hemangioma was found. dehydration was their first guess (besides a stroke) but his blood and kidney values seem to be okay, so they don't think it is because of dehydration. it would've been a possible explanation since he took water tablets to get rid of some water in his lungs for a week or so and all in all he isn't eating and drinking much. he is still very confused but able to speak a bit but mostly it really  doesn't make sense what he is speaking. 

emagdnim83
          Participant

Quick update: according to the doctors, brain mets causing this are still a possibility, they will do a CT today.  last ct was mid september where "only" a small hemangioma was found. dehydration was their first guess (besides a stroke) but his blood and kidney values seem to be okay, so they don't think it is because of dehydration. it would've been a possible explanation since he took water tablets to get rid of some water in his lungs for a week or so and all in all he isn't eating and drinking much. he is still very confused but able to speak a bit but mostly it really  doesn't make sense what he is speaking. 

emagdnim83
            Participant

emagdnim83
              Participant
                CT shows a large tumor in his brain which already has bled. Only option left would be radioation but given the fact that this tumor grew so fast ( ct 4 weeks ago showed no mets in the brain) and already caused damage doctors say it wouldn’t really help much… I think we will stop all treatment and he will stay in palliative care. Doctors say it will be a few days, max 1 or 2 weeks left. Hard times.
                  AnitaLoree
                  Participant

Dear emagdnim, We're sorry your Dad has had to experience so much discomfort but it sounds like he is blessed to be surrounded by loving, capable family.  Thank you for the heads up to think through options on sudden behavior changes while we do this daily dance with melanoma treatment. Tough time for you and we wish you, your Dad and family peace and comfort.  A.L.

AnitaLoree
                    Participant

Dear emagdnim, We're sorry your Dad has had to experience so much discomfort but it sounds like he is blessed to be surrounded by loving, capable family.  Thank you for the heads up to think through options on sudden behavior changes while we do this daily dance with melanoma treatment. Tough time for you and we wish you, your Dad and family peace and comfort.  A.L.

AnitaLoree
                      Participant

_Paul_
                        Participant

Emagdnim I am so sorry to read this post of yours. I feel deep sympathy for you, your father, and all of his loved for this difficult time you are all having to endure. I wish I had words to express my hope for you all.

– Paul

_Paul_
                          Participant

Emagdnim I am so sorry to read this post of yours. I feel deep sympathy for you, your father, and all of his loved for this difficult time you are all having to endure. I wish I had words to express my hope for you all.

– Paul

_Paul_
                            Participant

– Paul

emagdnim83
                            Participant
                              CT shows a large tumor in his brain which already has bled. Only option left would be radioation but given the fact that this tumor grew so fast ( ct 4 weeks ago showed no mets in the brain) and already caused damage doctors say it wouldn’t really help much… I think we will stop all treatment and he will stay in palliative care. Doctors say it will be a few days, max 1 or 2 weeks left. Hard times.
                              emagdnim83
                              Participant
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics