The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I quit my job last week!

Forums General Melanoma Community I quit my job last week!

Participant

Well, we're doing it – yikes!!!!!!  I put in my notice for December 31st.  I'm putting my house up for sale in January, then we plan on moving to the boat full time in April, and if I can learn everything I need to know about sailing if something happens to Burley Man, we'll be heading to the Carribean around October of next year.

As Burley Man keeps saying, isn't it scary-exciting???

Cyn

Well, we're doing it – yikes!!!!!!  I put in my notice for December 31st.  I'm putting my house up for sale in January, then we plan on moving to the boat full time in April, and if I can learn everything I need to know about sailing if something happens to Burley Man, we'll be heading to the Carribean around October of next year.

As Burley Man keeps saying, isn't it scary-exciting???

Cyn

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bonnie Lea
        Participant

yikes is right………….  no words at this moment.  but   HEY!  you and Burley man will have such a good life ahead and on the rolling ocean.  Just make sure you buy stock in some great sunscreen company. 

Bonnie Lea
          Participant

yikes is right………….  no words at this moment.  but   HEY!  you and Burley man will have such a good life ahead and on the rolling ocean.  Just make sure you buy stock in some great sunscreen company. 

Kimmer
            Participant

Yep, Yikes a little but you sure have a handle on the planning part.

Ah,  to live a dream!

Are you gonna get a fancy satellite card or sumpin' so we can still hear from you?

K.

Kimmer
              Participant

Yep, Yikes a little but you sure have a handle on the planning part.

Ah,  to live a dream!

Are you gonna get a fancy satellite card or sumpin' so we can still hear from you?

K.

jag
                Participant

Cyn,  for once a "journey" on this board is going to be a good thing.  Very happy to hear it.  Just curious, did you quit your job like you won the lottery(i.e take this job and shove it?)

jag
                  Participant

Cyn,  for once a "journey" on this board is going to be a good thing.  Very happy to hear it.  Just curious, did you quit your job like you won the lottery(i.e take this job and shove it?)

LV
                    Participant

Oh, best of luck! I bet the time will just fly. Once you're not working, you'll stay so busy you'll wonder how you ever had time to work before.

Sounds like a wonderful plan. Have a great time!

LV
                      Participant

Oh, best of luck! I bet the time will just fly. Once you're not working, you'll stay so busy you'll wonder how you ever had time to work before.

Sounds like a wonderful plan. Have a great time!

dian in spokane
                        Participant

yer a better man than me gunga din!

I spend a lot of time every summer alone with my husband in an RV. A boat is an RV you can't get off of! At least if I am stir crazy, I can get out and go for a walk. I guess you can go for  a swim, but..not the same.

Hope you have a WONDERFUL time. I know a couple of people who have done this. One of them is a cousin of mine who lived on his boat and wandered around for like..6 yrs! I know this is a kind of dream come true for 'boat people', so I hope you live it up while you are out there!

Quitting a job is an uplifting thing all on its own!

good luck

dian

dian in spokane
                          Participant

yer a better man than me gunga din!

I spend a lot of time every summer alone with my husband in an RV. A boat is an RV you can't get off of! At least if I am stir crazy, I can get out and go for a walk. I guess you can go for  a swim, but..not the same.

Hope you have a WONDERFUL time. I know a couple of people who have done this. One of them is a cousin of mine who lived on his boat and wandered around for like..6 yrs! I know this is a kind of dream come true for 'boat people', so I hope you live it up while you are out there!

Quitting a job is an uplifting thing all on its own!

good luck

dian

TinaR
                            Participant

scary / exciting!!!!!!!  Good luck and congrats…it will be an adventure!!!

I always give two tips for those heading out to sea….

#1. the only thing that kept me going for weeks on a sailboat …Luden's Cherry Cough Drops and Saltines…I ate them constantly to help sea-sickness ( and I don't get seasick…sometimes, it's unavoidable) I spent many a day stuffing crackers in my mouth while watching the horizon.

#2. Rent "Captain Ron".  This is the movie I would watch when I didn't feel all that happy about day after day on a boat. After the movie I felt better and enjoyed myself a bit more.

TinaR
                              Participant

scary / exciting!!!!!!!  Good luck and congrats…it will be an adventure!!!

I always give two tips for those heading out to sea….

#1. the only thing that kept me going for weeks on a sailboat …Luden's Cherry Cough Drops and Saltines…I ate them constantly to help sea-sickness ( and I don't get seasick…sometimes, it's unavoidable) I spent many a day stuffing crackers in my mouth while watching the horizon.

#2. Rent "Captain Ron".  This is the movie I would watch when I didn't feel all that happy about day after day on a boat. After the movie I felt better and enjoyed myself a bit more.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics