The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I need to support my husband the 3rd stage since 2012, with possible liver injury

Forums General Melanoma Community I need to support my husband the 3rd stage since 2012, with possible liver injury

Participant

Please need support , because I am very sad.
      My husband was diagnosed in 2012 stage3a melanoma , because he had micrometastasis in the sentinel node , the rest were clean. He had in 2012, 38 years old. He started in October 2012 with high doses of pegylated interferon for two months and after that continuous average dose to date. He was positive despite the side effects of pegylated interferon and was determined to complete the two years of treatment. He had from the diagnostic CT every 6 months , thank God for all normal except when some nodes increased in size , according to the doctor was normal by interferon . Last week was the result of his last TAC and are desperate because said to have focal lesions in the liver , which are new. Next week we have an appointment with the oncologist , but these days are endless waiting …. It might be the 3rd stage melanoma has gone so fast and to the liver ? God wants to be caused by interferon and not melanoma lesions.

These last months had hopes that the melanoma was not as aggressive as it only had a positive lymph node micrometastasis and clean and all the rest. As you might already left the liver ?

From diagnosis to live with anguish and sadness

Thank you all , I read you always

Gabriela  (34 years old) from Argentina

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Momrn5
        Participant

Well, I am sorry for your husband's diagnosis.  I am also stage 3a just diagnosed 6 months ago and though nothing definitive, there are several areas on my scans that now need watching.  So I know the boat he is in. It is a hard place to be. All we can do is hope and pray for the best. Live healthy and be aggressive with any additional treatment that might be needed. There are many people on this forum who are true fighters, so I am trying to be as they are, when really all I want to do is crawl under a blanket and not come out.  Hang in there and you came to the right place to get support.  Best wishes and Good Luck!

Momrn5
          Participant

Well, I am sorry for your husband's diagnosis.  I am also stage 3a just diagnosed 6 months ago and though nothing definitive, there are several areas on my scans that now need watching.  So I know the boat he is in. It is a hard place to be. All we can do is hope and pray for the best. Live healthy and be aggressive with any additional treatment that might be needed. There are many people on this forum who are true fighters, so I am trying to be as they are, when really all I want to do is crawl under a blanket and not come out.  Hang in there and you came to the right place to get support.  Best wishes and Good Luck!

gaby
              Participant

Thank you. I spend hours searching the internet to find out if the liver injury may be melanoma or not. I'm going crazy.

gaby
                Participant

Thank you. I spend hours searching the internet to find out if the liver injury may be melanoma or not. I'm going crazy.

gaby
                  Participant

Momrn5
                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Hopefully the spots in the liver are not melanoma. A repeat CT scan will help show if they are getting larger.  Are  the lymph nodes still enlarged?  Are the liver spots large enough that they can have a fine needle Biopsy (FNA)?  
                      if they are not changing the liver spots may not be melanoma.  If they are, surgery might be a possibility.  We can live with a reduced size liver.   Have they done a DNA mutation test to see which mutation his particular melanoma has?  It the lymph nodes and Liver spots are indeed melanoma, they will most likely want to do a systemi tretment, such as Yervow (Ipi), IL-2, Mekinist, BRAF, or PD-1 if you have any trials of it available there. 

Melanoma can at times spread etremely fast, Mine did.

It is hard to say much without more informtion and we know that waiting for the Oncologist is indeed stressful.

gaby
                        Participant
                          when was dignosticado stage 3a, ask your oncologist if I ought to test for genetic mutation, but the oncologist said for stage 3A not to because the only pegylated interferon therapy was and controls tomography (scan) every 6 months. I assumed that because he was only one node with micrometastasis Centinella melanoma, the disease had been discovered in time. He decided to do the treatment with interferon and not wait and see. 
                          One of the injuries is 11mm. 
                          The nodes are large since started with interferon (14 months ago). 
                          He had her tomography (scan) previous 6 months ago, the melanoma grows so fast? 
                          The melanoma was on the ankle. 
                          I do not know that drugs are available in Argentina. 

Just pray to God to give him a chance on. 

affections 
                          gaby
                          gaby
                          Participant
                            when was dignosticado stage 3a, ask your oncologist if I ought to test for genetic mutation, but the oncologist said for stage 3A not to because the only pegylated interferon therapy was and controls tomography (scan) every 6 months. I assumed that because he was only one node with micrometastasis Centinella melanoma, the disease had been discovered in time. He decided to do the treatment with interferon and not wait and see. 

affections 
                            gaby
                            gaby
                            Participant

affections 
                              gaby
                            JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

Hopefully the spots in the liver are not melanoma. A repeat CT scan will help show if they are getting larger.  Are  the lymph nodes still enlarged?  Are the liver spots large enough that they can have a fine needle Biopsy (FNA)?  
                              if they are not changing the liver spots may not be melanoma.  If they are, surgery might be a possibility.  We can live with a reduced size liver.   Have they done a DNA mutation test to see which mutation his particular melanoma has?  It the lymph nodes and Liver spots are indeed melanoma, they will most likely want to do a systemi tretment, such as Yervow (Ipi), IL-2, Mekinist, BRAF, or PD-1 if you have any trials of it available there. 

It is hard to say much without more informtion and we know that waiting for the Oncologist is indeed stressful.

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

UrsulaZ
                                      Participant

hi Gaby,

Waiting is so hard. I think everyone on the board can relate to that.

As Jerry says, I think they will be trying to get a sample of the liver lesion, and then there will be more waiting for those results.

I am also 38. Back when I was in stage III, I thought that moving to stage IV would mark the beginning of my death. But Gaby, that isn't true anymore. There are so many possibilties, even if those nodules ARE melanoma. And hopefully they are not. 

(good for him tolerating the whole course of Interferon! — I tried, and couldn't stand more than a few months).

Try to stay busy. I know it's dumb advice, but extra worry won't change the outcome. 

Do you live in Argentina? 

Ursula

gaby
                                          Participant
                                            Hi Ursula ,

Thanks for your answer .

I was reading your blog, you have 3 beautiful children , congratulations.

Maybe if the oncologist looking at tomography know is melanoma, I 'm going crazy searching the internet . I regret not having studied medicine. I studied economics .

If not melanoma, I can not be, because in the previous tomography were not .

I was hoping that my husband was stage 3A for a few years , but it seems I'm wrong .

He was very happy because this would be his last year of interferon , because he is making a great sacrifice , because treatment with pegylated interferon is very hard. We did not expect this terrible surprise. Several years are also trying to have children , and could not , that was another hard blow for us . This month I would begin my second fertility treatment but suspended it because I have a lot of anguish and sadness.

I feel that if melanoma, is going to die soon, I never imagined having to live this nightmare.

How long you were in stage 3A ?
                                            Yes, we live in Argentina . When my husband was diagnosed with stage 3A, the oncologist had told him about vemurafenib ( Zelboraf ) and ipilimumab ( ipillimumab ) drugs but these drugs were not for stage 3 , also not recommended radiation. Guess what smismos in Argentina are treatments, but I'm not sure .

If necessary we can travel to USA

Try the oncologist should have been more aggressive in treating …

kisses from Argentina

gaby
                                            Participant
                                              Hi Ursula ,

Thanks for your answer .

Maybe if the oncologist looking at tomography know is melanoma, I 'm going crazy searching the internet . I regret not having studied medicine. I studied economics .

I was hoping that my husband was stage 3A for a few years , but it seems I'm wrong .

He was very happy because this would be his last year of interferon , because he is making a great sacrifice , because treatment with pegylated interferon is very hard. We did not expect this terrible surprise. Several years are also trying to have children , and could not , that was another hard blow for us . This month I would begin my second fertility treatment but suspended it because I have a lot of anguish and sadness.

I feel that if melanoma, is going to die soon, I never imagined having to live this nightmare.

Yes, we live in Argentina . When my husband was diagnosed with stage 3A, the oncologist had told him about vemurafenib ( Zelboraf ) and ipilimumab ( ipillimumab ) drugs but these drugs were not for stage 3 , also not recommended radiation. Guess what smismos in Argentina are treatments, but I'm not sure .

kisses from Argentina

gaby
                                              Participant
                                                thank you all for your words. It's amazing how his words give me hope and reassure me. I usually write in this forum when I need hope and strength to continue. I realize that there are many people living with melanoma. 
                                                I feel very weak and at times do not know how to live and support my husband. I read their stories you are very strong and positive people, and thanks to that you continue to live their lives. 

I thank you with all my heart. 

Yesterday the oncologist called us and told us it was best to make a PET / CT. My husband never did a PET. My husband always makes CT. The oncologist believes liver lesions do not melanoma, but wants to be quiet and confirm with PET. I'm scared but a little quieter. 

a greeting 
                                                Gaby (from Argentina)
                                                gaby
                                                Participant
                                                  thank you all for your words. It's amazing how his words give me hope and reassure me. I usually write in this forum when I need hope and strength to continue. I realize that there are many people living with melanoma. 
                                                  I feel very weak and at times do not know how to live and support my husband. I read their stories you are very strong and positive people, and thanks to that you continue to live their lives. 

Yesterday the oncologist called us and told us it was best to make a PET / CT. My husband never did a PET. My husband always makes CT. The oncologist believes liver lesions do not melanoma, but wants to be quiet and confirm with PET. I'm scared but a little quieter. 

a greeting 
                                                  Gaby (from Argentina)
                                                  gaby
                                                  Participant

a greeting 
                                                    Gaby (from Argentina)
                                                    gaby
                                                    Participant
                                                      Hi Ursula ,

Thanks for your answer .

kisses from Argentina

UrsulaZ
                                                    Participant

hi Gaby,

As Jerry says, I think they will be trying to get a sample of the liver lesion, and then there will be more waiting for those results.

I am also 38. Back when I was in stage III, I thought that moving to stage IV would mark the beginning of my death. But Gaby, that isn't true anymore. There are so many possibilties, even if those nodules ARE melanoma. And hopefully they are not. 

(good for him tolerating the whole course of Interferon! — I tried, and couldn't stand more than a few months).

Try to stay busy. I know it's dumb advice, but extra worry won't change the outcome. 

Ursula

UrsulaZ
                                                      Participant

hi Gaby,

Ursula

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics