The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I have a question

Forums General Melanoma Community I have a question

Participant

I have a question…I did the 30 day HD interferon back in April and a week after my treatment ended they did a ct scan..My question is, how soon after finishing interferon did you have a ct scan done?..The reason for me asking is that i am doing my last infusion of yervoy wed and not sure when i will have scans after that because the yervoy is slow acting..Was just wondering if interferon is a little like yervoy or if it's instant results? They found one very small spot in each lung in the ct scan right after interferon, they were there before treatment but lit up a little more after interferon..They were to small to biopsy..

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

Normaly Interferon has been given to extend Relapse Free time of Stage II and III patients, not to attack current measurable tumors.  Most resent studies while showing increased Relapse Free Survival have not shown much in the way of Overall Survival (OS)   I have not seen any results for active tumors.  Someone else may respond that has had the interferon with meassurable tumors.  I would like to here from them to.

Most times I have seen for the CT scan after starting Ipi/Yervoy is 12 weeks after the start date of the treatments.

JerryfromFauq
          Participant

Normaly Interferon has been given to extend Relapse Free time of Stage II and III patients, not to attack current measurable tumors.  Most resent studies while showing increased Relapse Free Survival have not shown much in the way of Overall Survival (OS)   I have not seen any results for active tumors.  Someone else may respond that has had the interferon with meassurable tumors.  I would like to here from them to.

Most times I have seen for the CT scan after starting Ipi/Yervoy is 12 weeks after the start date of the treatments.

JerryfromFauq
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

Ginger,

I don't know what the standard time frame is for the first post Ipi scan.  I can tell you mine was 2 weeks after my last infusion but that timeline was set more by the clinical trial than any pre-meditated plan on mine or my doctor's part.  If it were me I would like to have one 2-4 weeks after my last infusion, knowing full well I may not see any results or even an increase in tumor size due to the delay Ipi can sometimes have.  I'm assuming it's been at least 2 months since your last scan if not longer and in another 2 – 4 weeks you'll be around the 3 month mark since last scan.  I personally wouldn't want to go much longer than that.  I'd also like to get a baseline tumor measure post Ipi treatment to be able to better evaluate it's effectiveness. 

That's just my thoughts but I hope others can share their real life experience for some more insight.

Brian

Ginger8888
                  Participant

Thank you for your response, i had my last scan at the beginning of may..I assume i will find out wed when my next scan is, i'm pretty nervous since it's been so long since i'v e had one.I'm still new to all this stuff and appricate any help i can get..They told me the spots in my lungs were so small that they didn't know if it was melanoma or maybe some scaring from when i had pneunoma last Dec..I was diagnosed Jan 2014

Ginger8888
                    Participant

Thank you for your response, i had my last scan at the beginning of may..I assume i will find out wed when my next scan is, i'm pretty nervous since it's been so long since i'v e had one.I'm still new to all this stuff and appricate any help i can get..They told me the spots in my lungs were so small that they didn't know if it was melanoma or maybe some scaring from when i had pneunoma last Dec..I was diagnosed Jan 2014

Ginger8888
                      Participant

BrianP
                      Participant

Ginger,

I don't know what the standard time frame is for the first post Ipi scan.  I can tell you mine was 2 weeks after my last infusion but that timeline was set more by the clinical trial than any pre-meditated plan on mine or my doctor's part.  If it were me I would like to have one 2-4 weeks after my last infusion, knowing full well I may not see any results or even an increase in tumor size due to the delay Ipi can sometimes have.  I'm assuming it's been at least 2 months since your last scan if not longer and in another 2 – 4 weeks you'll be around the 3 month mark since last scan.  I personally wouldn't want to go much longer than that.  I'd also like to get a baseline tumor measure post Ipi treatment to be able to better evaluate it's effectiveness. 

That's just my thoughts but I hope others can share their real life experience for some more insight.

Brian

BrianP
                        Participant

Ginger,

Brian

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics