The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I have a few questions!!

Forums General Melanoma Community I have a few questions!!

Participant

Hi everyone,

My husband went to the dr on Tuesday and  we now know that the Braf combo drug has stopped working… While on the Braf drug his bone mets did not disappear they just stopped growing and his pain stopped during this time as well…. On the MRI this week it showed his L5 has a burst fracture and a large met in his hip area (radiation starts today on that) next week he will begin Ipi. My questions are he had many many bone mets to his spine, hip and pelvis as well as a deep femur met, and some on his skull, Is Ipi a good med for many bone mets and since the mets never went away after taking the Braf drug will they become active once again? Just looking for others experiences and advice. It means so much getting your advice.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jualonso
        Participant

Well, as far as i know, Ipi enhance your inmune system and it can get to anywhere, even bone mets. But i think that radiation plus IPI use to be better if you also consider the abscopal effect.

Hope to be helpfull

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Exactly. If the ctla4 pathway is a way for the ipi t-cells to get into the tumor then your husband will be a responder to ipi and voila the tumors shrink whether bone or not. I did not respond to ipi but the pd1 pathway via pembro has been good so far and the couple dozen tumors I have pretty much all involve bone.

Also yes exactly immunotherapies like ipi and pd1 can work better with radiation. For example starting ipi within 24 to 48 hours after receiving the last radiation dose seems to be something I read as ideal. I'm not sure but I also assume already being fully immersed in the ipi or pd1 like I've read after the 3rd dose of ipi to then hit with the radiation is also ideal. But everyone is different.

Artie

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Exactly. If the ctla4 pathway is a way for the ipi t-cells to get into the tumor then your husband will be a responder to ipi and voila the tumors shrink whether bone or not. I did not respond to ipi but the pd1 pathway via pembro has been good so far and the couple dozen tumors I have pretty much all involve bone.

Also yes exactly immunotherapies like ipi and pd1 can work better with radiation. For example starting ipi within 24 to 48 hours after receiving the last radiation dose seems to be something I read as ideal. I'm not sure but I also assume already being fully immersed in the ipi or pd1 like I've read after the 3rd dose of ipi to then hit with the radiation is also ideal. But everyone is different.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

Artie

jualonso
                Participant

Well, as far as i know, Ipi enhance your inmune system and it can get to anywhere, even bone mets. But i think that radiation plus IPI use to be better if you also consider the abscopal effect.

Hope to be helpfull

jualonso
                  Participant

Hope to be helpfull

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics