The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I hate the Kindle.

Forums General Melanoma Community I hate the Kindle.

Participant

What will we do with all our cutesy bookmarks ? While reading this afternoon I stopped to admire my daughter's handmade bookmark…one of many she's made for me over the years…with her drawings, sentiments and photos.  How can people buy those  evil E-readers ??It's like the self-check-out at the supermarkets — people are losing jobs because idiots are willing to check themselves out ( and for the same cost  of groceries as before!!) Soon we will be picking our own food in the fields and paying evil corporations for absolutely nothing!  How many

What will we do with all our cutesy bookmarks ? While reading this afternoon I stopped to admire my daughter's handmade bookmark…one of many she's made for me over the years…with her drawings, sentiments and photos.  How can people buy those  evil E-readers ??It's like the self-check-out at the supermarkets — people are losing jobs because idiots are willing to check themselves out ( and for the same cost  of groceries as before!!) Soon we will be picking our own food in the fields and paying evil corporations for absolutely nothing!  How many people lose their jobs when books become obsolete? Horrible. I hate change, I hate progress that hurts innocent people and I hate the Kindle. Where all the people who are NOT Rocket Scientists going to work – what is wrong with all of you Kindle-buying self-check-outers !?!?!?!?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        vickie
        Participant

I agree with you whole heartedly! Not only are neighborhood bookstores going to close and people will lose jobs, but actual books are going to cost a fortune eventually. If they print only 1000 copies instead of 100,000 copies of a book they will be like limited edition lithographs, expensive.

We don't have self check out in our stores yet but I will refuse that too when it comes.

While I'm at it, I hate those wireless blue tooth cell phone ear peices everyone is wearing. It is clearly NOT A GOOD LOOK  and I always think someone is talking to themselves until I see the other side of their head.

TinaR
            Participant

Oh, not only the bookstores, but all of the manufacturing plants-the shipping companies, the artists, the printers, the ink manufacturers, paper companies…on down the line. My grandfather worked for book publishing company in New Jersey .. He had a library filled with so many books he had to keep many in boxes- mostly the children's books in boxes. We could see the room through French Doors and were so antsy until he let us in- seemed like forever.  He would allow us to go in and look through the boxes and choose one book each visit ( I never understood why it was only one when he had so many– now I know it was to keep it special & leave us wanting more 🙂 It was very exciting and I still have one of my favorites from when I was about 7 or 8- a collection of stories, poems and songs. My sister found one of my other favorites at an old bookstore and gave it to me for my 40th birthday. I was 5 when I chose the book from my Grandfather's stash and would read it every day– until it was lost in a childhood move.   I cried like a baby  when I opened the gift – I LOVE it, love it, love it. It's just a little Golden Book ( hardly high-brow taste in reading material 🙂 I  was surprised by the illustrations…many of the things that I love and collect today are in that book!  It brings me so much pleasure to look at my old books- can't do any of that with a Kindle. Blech.

EVERY time I see someone talking like a crazy person with that blue tooth thing attached to their head I think: BRAIN CANCER.  Next -they will implant a telephone chip in their heads and those crazy people won't need a phone at all…prewired to a satellite 24/7. OHMYGOD, I HATE all of this…   I. AM. OLD.

TinaR
              Participant

Oh, not only the bookstores, but all of the manufacturing plants-the shipping companies, the artists, the printers, the ink manufacturers, paper companies…on down the line. My grandfather worked for book publishing company in New Jersey .. He had a library filled with so many books he had to keep many in boxes- mostly the children's books in boxes. We could see the room through French Doors and were so antsy until he let us in- seemed like forever.  He would allow us to go in and look through the boxes and choose one book each visit ( I never understood why it was only one when he had so many– now I know it was to keep it special & leave us wanting more 🙂 It was very exciting and I still have one of my favorites from when I was about 7 or 8- a collection of stories, poems and songs. My sister found one of my other favorites at an old bookstore and gave it to me for my 40th birthday. I was 5 when I chose the book from my Grandfather's stash and would read it every day– until it was lost in a childhood move.   I cried like a baby  when I opened the gift – I LOVE it, love it, love it. It's just a little Golden Book ( hardly high-brow taste in reading material 🙂 I  was surprised by the illustrations…many of the things that I love and collect today are in that book!  It brings me so much pleasure to look at my old books- can't do any of that with a Kindle. Blech.

EVERY time I see someone talking like a crazy person with that blue tooth thing attached to their head I think: BRAIN CANCER.  Next -they will implant a telephone chip in their heads and those crazy people won't need a phone at all…prewired to a satellite 24/7. OHMYGOD, I HATE all of this…   I. AM. OLD.

Nancylee
                Participant

Big sigh..

Nancylee
                  Participant

Big sigh..

vickie
                  Participant

I agree with you whole heartedly! Not only are neighborhood bookstores going to close and people will lose jobs, but actual books are going to cost a fortune eventually. If they print only 1000 copies instead of 100,000 copies of a book they will be like limited edition lithographs, expensive.

We don't have self check out in our stores yet but I will refuse that too when it comes.

While I'm at it, I hate those wireless blue tooth cell phone ear peices everyone is wearing. It is clearly NOT A GOOD LOOK  and I always think someone is talking to themselves until I see the other side of their head.

bcl
                    Participant

I also refuse to use self checkouts, won't buy a Kindle either.  Because there are no discounts for self service I suspect we'll eventually see a personal service fee added if we won't self check ..  (Hopefully it'll be minimal!)

bcl
                      Participant

I also refuse to use self checkouts, won't buy a Kindle either.  Because there are no discounts for self service I suspect we'll eventually see a personal service fee added if we won't self check ..  (Hopefully it'll be minimal!)

Nancylee
                        Participant

DONT… YOU… DARE disrespect the kindle. I take a lot of crap from you Roxanne, what with you not even laughing at that cuter than life video. BACK OFF!!! I adore my kindle. I take it everywhere, read when ever I want, whatever I want, whenever I want.

You have gone to far.

Nancylee
                          Participant

DONT… YOU… DARE disrespect the kindle. I take a lot of crap from you Roxanne, what with you not even laughing at that cuter than life video. BACK OFF!!! I adore my kindle. I take it everywhere, read when ever I want, whatever I want, whenever I want.

You have gone to far.

TinaR
                              Participant

Yep, of course you love your kindle… one word for you, Nancylee…ready for it????   REPUBLICAN ! devil

Nancylee
                                Participant

You say it like its a dirty word.

You must be in your" I love my loser Obamba" mode.

Stop it! it hasnt worked out that well for you.

xoxoxoxooxox

Nancylee
                                  Participant

You say it like its a dirty word.

You must be in your" I love my loser Obamba" mode.

Stop it! it hasnt worked out that well for you.

xoxoxoxooxox

TinaR
                                    Participant
                                      Not working out for me? How do you figure that? My blood pressure hasn't risen over 90/68 since GWB got on the helio for Texas!  I have an intelligent, extremely cool, confident president working as hard as he can with your dingbat crew of obstinate , blowhard,obstructionist Republicans.  My 25 yr old son was covered by much needed medical insurance between jobs and I don't have to worry that the person in charge is drunk, stupid or sleeping at the wheel ( seems all your fav Prezzies operate under one or all of those conditions!)

It's been pretty darn good! Will only be better once the idiots of your party start cutting the  Medicare and Social Security of the daft seniors who still believe this is the Republican party of yesteryear. When that happens- my GP might have to artificially keep me alive as my BP will be so low!  Did you happen to catch your fellow Republican Alan Simpson on Hardball with Chris Matthews? You might want to view that clip…he pretty much covered all Republicans "comers" in a short session. I'd say your crop of candidates for change in 2012 are slim pickings. 

How is this working out for me? Oh, it's fine-more than fine -at this point.

🙂  xoxoxoxo 🙂
                                      TinaR
                                      Participant
                                        Not working out for me? How do you figure that? My blood pressure hasn't risen over 90/68 since GWB got on the helio for Texas!  I have an intelligent, extremely cool, confident president working as hard as he can with your dingbat crew of obstinate , blowhard,obstructionist Republicans.  My 25 yr old son was covered by much needed medical insurance between jobs and I don't have to worry that the person in charge is drunk, stupid or sleeping at the wheel ( seems all your fav Prezzies operate under one or all of those conditions!)

It's been pretty darn good! Will only be better once the idiots of your party start cutting the  Medicare and Social Security of the daft seniors who still believe this is the Republican party of yesteryear. When that happens- my GP might have to artificially keep me alive as my BP will be so low!  Did you happen to catch your fellow Republican Alan Simpson on Hardball with Chris Matthews? You might want to view that clip…he pretty much covered all Republicans "comers" in a short session. I'd say your crop of candidates for change in 2012 are slim pickings. 

How is this working out for me? Oh, it's fine-more than fine -at this point.

🙂  xoxoxoxo 🙂
                                        Nancylee
                                        Participant

BLAB BLAB BLAB!!!!

So, I am thinking… someone might want to check out your BP. Im not 100% sure you are alive..That might contribute to your wayward thinking.

Nancylee
                                          Participant

BLAB BLAB BLAB!!!!

So, I am thinking… someone might want to check out your BP. Im not 100% sure you are alive..That might contribute to your wayward thinking.

TinaR
                                            Participant

I was super anxious today as they were hooking me up….my bp shot up to 111/80 !   Despite my anxiety disorder and my high strung personality – I'm actually very calm on the inside…my heart rate was only 68 !   

I'm alive…and can't wait for the next election…Romney, Trump's hair, the morals guy diddling his secretary while his wife suffers cancer , the homophobes and the bigot/racist Santorium. Maybe hauling Palin out… with Bachman.? I'm itchy twitchy to see the circus!!  Oh,  add the puffer from New Jersey. Hysterical. Can' t wait.  I can't wait to see how they are going  to skin our grannies alive and smooth it over!!  Fun times to come.

TinaR
                                              Participant

I was super anxious today as they were hooking me up….my bp shot up to 111/80 !   Despite my anxiety disorder and my high strung personality – I'm actually very calm on the inside…my heart rate was only 68 !   

I'm alive…and can't wait for the next election…Romney, Trump's hair, the morals guy diddling his secretary while his wife suffers cancer , the homophobes and the bigot/racist Santorium. Maybe hauling Palin out… with Bachman.? I'm itchy twitchy to see the circus!!  Oh,  add the puffer from New Jersey. Hysterical. Can' t wait.  I can't wait to see how they are going  to skin our grannies alive and smooth it over!!  Fun times to come.

TinaR
                                                Participant

Yep, of course you love your kindle… one word for you, Nancylee…ready for it????   REPUBLICAN ! devil

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

wHAT CAN i SAY TO A GAL THAT CONSIDERS ME TOO MUCH  ON THE REPUBLICAN SIDE?   (Outside of – there's a ew things she doesn't know!) I too refuse to use the self checkout.  Hate things that have as their purpose soley to celieinate peoples jobs.

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant

wHAT CAN i SAY TO A GAL THAT CONSIDERS ME TOO MUCH  ON THE REPUBLICAN SIDE?   (Outside of – there's a ew things she doesn't know!) I too refuse to use the self checkout.  Hate things that have as their purpose soley to celieinate peoples jobs.

TinaR
                                                      Participant

I  consider you too much on the Republican side? If I were to consider you, it wouldn't have anything to do with your political affiliation–unless you're expressing a opinion based upon a political leaning. I'll take what you offer at face value.  Really, Jerry…I'm not narrow minded at all!!  I'm compassionate toward those who are politically *lost*.   Refusing to use the self-checkout is a good sign that you can be rehabilitated. It's a slow process- but most people can be counted upon, eventually,  to see the bigger picture, to really think about what's best for everyone and, then,  realize which group they belong – politically  wink  –> cheekylaughsmileyangel

TinaR
                                                        Participant

I  consider you too much on the Republican side? If I were to consider you, it wouldn't have anything to do with your political affiliation–unless you're expressing a opinion based upon a political leaning. I'll take what you offer at face value.  Really, Jerry…I'm not narrow minded at all!!  I'm compassionate toward those who are politically *lost*.   Refusing to use the self-checkout is a good sign that you can be rehabilitated. It's a slow process- but most people can be counted upon, eventually,  to see the bigger picture, to really think about what's best for everyone and, then,  realize which group they belong – politically  wink  –> cheekylaughsmileyangel

Bonnie Lea
                                                        Participant

well…before I try to chime in (I want to be part of this community, doncha know)  I first had to see what the heck a Kindlel was/is.  ELECTRONIC reader?  I can't help but wondering, if it due to paper and trees and stuff (why books will soon be a black market item)  what about all the petroleum products not to mention these things I doubt are made in the US of A or Canada for that matter.

You can't underline important passages,  you need power to operate,  it would not be good to get it all sandy and goopy from sun screen (unlike a book if one is careful)  and yes what of "homes like   Stately Bruce Manor with its huge library from floor to ceiling where Bruce Wayne rests from his nights of Batmanning Gotham City.  What of wetting my finger (on my own books only) to turn the page, and use those bookmarks which are anything from money, to reall ones, to try to remember which page I left off.

When my daughter (oh years and years ago)  got a 'cell phone'  I thought it was the end of the world.  A MOTOROLLA which prob weighed in at 10 pounds.  But was 'unlosable'  now with her crackberry, it can (and has fallen into a portapotty (she left it)  and it was replaced free of charge once they understood. (hate to be that customer service rep)  I worried when those kiddie things like  LEAP FROG came into being,  same as I freaked when we had little vinyl records (45's) with a read along book.  "little engine that could"  jolly fat policeman to name a couple.

where will kids the closeness when Mom or Dad curls up on the bed and they read together.  ELECTRONIC BOOKS? eeek.

Sorry those who like them,  but they would not do for any of us, we are all paper BOOK WORMS.

Bonnie Lea
                                                          Participant

well…before I try to chime in (I want to be part of this community, doncha know)  I first had to see what the heck a Kindlel was/is.  ELECTRONIC reader?  I can't help but wondering, if it due to paper and trees and stuff (why books will soon be a black market item)  what about all the petroleum products not to mention these things I doubt are made in the US of A or Canada for that matter.

You can't underline important passages,  you need power to operate,  it would not be good to get it all sandy and goopy from sun screen (unlike a book if one is careful)  and yes what of "homes like   Stately Bruce Manor with its huge library from floor to ceiling where Bruce Wayne rests from his nights of Batmanning Gotham City.  What of wetting my finger (on my own books only) to turn the page, and use those bookmarks which are anything from money, to reall ones, to try to remember which page I left off.

When my daughter (oh years and years ago)  got a 'cell phone'  I thought it was the end of the world.  A MOTOROLLA which prob weighed in at 10 pounds.  But was 'unlosable'  now with her crackberry, it can (and has fallen into a portapotty (she left it)  and it was replaced free of charge once they understood. (hate to be that customer service rep)  I worried when those kiddie things like  LEAP FROG came into being,  same as I freaked when we had little vinyl records (45's) with a read along book.  "little engine that could"  jolly fat policeman to name a couple.

where will kids the closeness when Mom or Dad curls up on the bed and they read together.  ELECTRONIC BOOKS? eeek.

Sorry those who like them,  but they would not do for any of us, we are all paper BOOK WORMS.

Nancylee
                                                              Participant

I use to buy used books at garage sales and our Yacht club has a book exchange as does all the ports we go. Since I got sick, I have become germiphobic. On top of all my other issues I seem to be/have neutropenia.  I probably read 5 books a week.  I wont borrow a book… JUST BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU JUST SAID!! I dont want someones sliva pages… I dont want buggers and I dont want spermly and poopy pages. I dont want someone wiping their nose and touching a book, or coughing or sneezing in it. I dont want to read a book that has toielt splatter. I dont want someones dirt.

With my kindle. Its all mine. And I dont infect myself. Its not cheap to buy books but I decided what I read, when I want, how I want… Also, you can loan out your books for 2 weeks and recieve. I still dont touch anyone elses shit!  It fits nicely in my purse. I can take it anywhere. I CAN SANITIZE IT IF ANYONE HAPPENS TO TOUCH it!

PS. I love my books too. AND I DONT SELF CHECK OUT!!!

Nancylee
                                                                Participant

I use to buy used books at garage sales and our Yacht club has a book exchange as does all the ports we go. Since I got sick, I have become germiphobic. On top of all my other issues I seem to be/have neutropenia.  I probably read 5 books a week.  I wont borrow a book… JUST BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU JUST SAID!! I dont want someones sliva pages… I dont want buggers and I dont want spermly and poopy pages. I dont want someone wiping their nose and touching a book, or coughing or sneezing in it. I dont want to read a book that has toielt splatter. I dont want someones dirt.

With my kindle. Its all mine. And I dont infect myself. Its not cheap to buy books but I decided what I read, when I want, how I want… Also, you can loan out your books for 2 weeks and recieve. I still dont touch anyone elses shit!  It fits nicely in my purse. I can take it anywhere. I CAN SANITIZE IT IF ANYONE HAPPENS TO TOUCH it!

PS. I love my books too. AND I DONT SELF CHECK OUT!!!

Bonnie Lea
                                                                  Participant

ah I forgot about the outhouse books.  You know those ones that hang on a wee chain (hahha not as in wee but in widdle, no no not widdle, little (now that is the word I have beenn looking for)

I once stood in line very inoocently at the bank holding those long ago gotten rid of now velvet rope things.  next thing you know I was  sick with Norwal Virus.  ewwwwww  (did not read books then)

But deep in the woods,  we have no elecrricity, and I need the feeling of my own snotty pages.  (never did enjoy going to the Library either)  but tis a vast difference tween yachting away, over crystal seas, than canoeing in a moose and fishy inland lake. 

If I borrow a book (never have)  I prob would also try to sanitize it.  Once I opened a book that is usually packed up with camping gear (yeah I re read zillions of books just in those two weeks)  and you know what I found?  a squashed daddy long legs,  no doubt he was where he should not have been when I closed me book.

soon vacation comes and I can read again.  what is neutropenia?  (seriously)

Bonnie Lea
                                                                    Participant

ah I forgot about the outhouse books.  You know those ones that hang on a wee chain (hahha not as in wee but in widdle, no no not widdle, little (now that is the word I have beenn looking for)

I once stood in line very inoocently at the bank holding those long ago gotten rid of now velvet rope things.  next thing you know I was  sick with Norwal Virus.  ewwwwww  (did not read books then)

But deep in the woods,  we have no elecrricity, and I need the feeling of my own snotty pages.  (never did enjoy going to the Library either)  but tis a vast difference tween yachting away, over crystal seas, than canoeing in a moose and fishy inland lake. 

If I borrow a book (never have)  I prob would also try to sanitize it.  Once I opened a book that is usually packed up with camping gear (yeah I re read zillions of books just in those two weeks)  and you know what I found?  a squashed daddy long legs,  no doubt he was where he should not have been when I closed me book.

Bonnie Lea
                                                                      Participant

Bonnie Lea
                                                                        Participant

TinaR
                                                                          Participant

I buy my books from the book stores or Amazon if I'm in a rush. I'm certain someone touched their peen or nose and touched my item . I usually swap with my sisters and friends. I try not to swap anything with  men 😉 You never know where their parts have been.

I don't usually put fingers in my mouth while reading. I wipe all surfaces with Lysol. But you have to know that the people who prepare your food in restaurants have sweaty peens and drippy noses and you can bet they're not wiping them to your standard. Yum.

Nancylee
                                                                            Participant

STOP!!! So, you dont care about your sisters buggers? You would rather touch a book with all the things I listed eariler, but you are horrified about a strip of ripped off pubic hair?? Roxanne., dear Roxanne. that was a book marker in your sisters books…  hahahahhahahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never go out to eat again.  I have completely lost my appitite. (Dry gagging…!!)

Nancylee
                                                                              Participant

STOP!!! So, you dont care about your sisters buggers? You would rather touch a book with all the things I listed eariler, but you are horrified about a strip of ripped off pubic hair?? Roxanne., dear Roxanne. that was a book marker in your sisters books…  hahahahhahahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never go out to eat again.  I have completely lost my appitite. (Dry gagging…!!)

TinaR
                                                                                Participant

Well, the swap usually goes one way- my sister buys crime novels , my friend – inspirational or christian related books- I'm not interested in either type. I'm the buyer, they're the recipients. I'm not touching books with snot or any of the aformentioned  items.  My copy of The Kitten Twins was spotless. Belonged to a collector …a librarian who didn't read or snot the books…she owns a book store and is a Golden Book hobby collector. The only reason she agreed to sell it to Suzanne – she had three. I have two friends who own an old map store in Manhattan…they rarely open the maps or snot them 😉 Theyre sold snot free ! I get the snot thing…reason I didn't take my kids to the library…they wanted books, we bought books.

Honestly, I just didn't find the clip funny at all. I'm not a fan of British or Irish humor, slapstick or inappropriate, ugly topics incorporating slapstick, Brits or Irishmen 😉 . I watched  until the pelt came flying out. Ick. I didn't laugh once. Not to say I only like clean jokes or I don't find waxing an amusing topic… has to be presented in a clever, witty manner.  

I'm glad you enjoyed that poor woman's shame/pain.

TinaR
                                                                                  Participant

Well, the swap usually goes one way- my sister buys crime novels , my friend – inspirational or christian related books- I'm not interested in either type. I'm the buyer, they're the recipients. I'm not touching books with snot or any of the aformentioned  items.  My copy of The Kitten Twins was spotless. Belonged to a collector …a librarian who didn't read or snot the books…she owns a book store and is a Golden Book hobby collector. The only reason she agreed to sell it to Suzanne – she had three. I have two friends who own an old map store in Manhattan…they rarely open the maps or snot them 😉 Theyre sold snot free ! I get the snot thing…reason I didn't take my kids to the library…they wanted books, we bought books.

Honestly, I just didn't find the clip funny at all. I'm not a fan of British or Irish humor, slapstick or inappropriate, ugly topics incorporating slapstick, Brits or Irishmen 😉 . I watched  until the pelt came flying out. Ick. I didn't laugh once. Not to say I only like clean jokes or I don't find waxing an amusing topic… has to be presented in a clever, witty manner.  

I'm glad you enjoyed that poor woman's shame/pain.

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                    Participant

Rox what if you are having finger food?  or Sushi, or ribs, or burgers,  you HAVE to touch the food then!  chicken wings, cannot see anyone knife and forking them!  perhaps they do that in your country?

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                      Participant

Rox what if you are having finger food?  or Sushi, or ribs, or burgers,  you HAVE to touch the food then!  chicken wings, cannot see anyone knife and forking them!  perhaps they do that in your country?

TinaR
                                                                                        Participant

*I* touch food, Bonnie.  I wash my  hands before I make the food and before I eat it. I use chopsticks to eat Sushi, two fingers to eat ribs and my burger usually has a bun?

As a teen, I worked in the kitchen of a seafood restaurant. I told this story on the Darkside. I've seen horrible stuff in a kitchen. I was a picky teen girl…lots grossed me out. I paid too much attention to my hair, makeup, fingernails, clothes, boys, etc. My Mom thought it would be a hoot for me to work in a restaurant …teach me to be humble ( I was humble enough!). My job was to pick fish heads and tails. It was disgusting. They would cut the  head and tails off and filet the rest. They never threw anything away. They would make fishcakes and fish balls with the meat that came out of the head and tail. It was my job to stick my hands in the disgusting hot mess of boiled head/tail and pick the meat from the skin and lord knows what else was in there.  No air-conditioning in that stinky kitchen. I saw more than my share of disusting health violations. Chef picking his nose and flicking it around the food. Licking the spoons that went into the cooking pots. Food on the floor, plopped back on the plate, itching scalp dandruff falling into food—ugh ( the slimy fish tails and heads were at least sterilized!). One of many bad summers in my life.

I am always on the lookout for snot 🙂 and other disgusting dobees 🙂 But isn't it the funniest thing…your own babies snot doesn't make you sick? I could wipe/touch that stuff for years and i wouldn't bother me. It's like their poo, you wipe it and don't think anything of it…same with spit-up. Have an adult do the same, or a person who isn't your baby- BARF.

TinaR
                                                                                          Participant

*I* touch food, Bonnie.  I wash my  hands before I make the food and before I eat it. I use chopsticks to eat Sushi, two fingers to eat ribs and my burger usually has a bun?

As a teen, I worked in the kitchen of a seafood restaurant. I told this story on the Darkside. I've seen horrible stuff in a kitchen. I was a picky teen girl…lots grossed me out. I paid too much attention to my hair, makeup, fingernails, clothes, boys, etc. My Mom thought it would be a hoot for me to work in a restaurant …teach me to be humble ( I was humble enough!). My job was to pick fish heads and tails. It was disgusting. They would cut the  head and tails off and filet the rest. They never threw anything away. They would make fishcakes and fish balls with the meat that came out of the head and tail. It was my job to stick my hands in the disgusting hot mess of boiled head/tail and pick the meat from the skin and lord knows what else was in there.  No air-conditioning in that stinky kitchen. I saw more than my share of disusting health violations. Chef picking his nose and flicking it around the food. Licking the spoons that went into the cooking pots. Food on the floor, plopped back on the plate, itching scalp dandruff falling into food—ugh ( the slimy fish tails and heads were at least sterilized!). One of many bad summers in my life.

I am always on the lookout for snot 🙂 and other disgusting dobees 🙂 But isn't it the funniest thing…your own babies snot doesn't make you sick? I could wipe/touch that stuff for years and i wouldn't bother me. It's like their poo, you wipe it and don't think anything of it…same with spit-up. Have an adult do the same, or a person who isn't your baby- BARF.

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                            Participant

cuse my foreigness  what are peens?  a new kind of legume?  pea/bean?

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                              Participant

cuse my foreigness  what are peens?  a new kind of legume?  pea/bean?

TinaR
                                                                                                Participant

Penis

TinaR
                                                                                                  Participant

Penis

TinaR
                                                                                                    Participant

I buy my books from the book stores or Amazon if I'm in a rush. I'm certain someone touched their peen or nose and touched my item . I usually swap with my sisters and friends. I try not to swap anything with  men 😉 You never know where their parts have been.

I don't usually put fingers in my mouth while reading. I wipe all surfaces with Lysol. But you have to know that the people who prepare your food in restaurants have sweaty peens and drippy noses and you can bet they're not wiping them to your standard. Yum.

vickie
                                                                                                      Participant

You would love my books. Reading is my great pleasure along with eating chocolate. Most of my books have brown smears on some of the pages but I SWEAR! It's chocolate.

Janner
                                                                                                        Participant

cool

I'm better able to eat chocolate and read because most of the books I "read" are actually on CDs in the car or eAudiobooks. 

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                          Participant

Ii once listened to a Stephen King Novel and it all depends on which kinda of voice reads it.  Who ever this was was very good and the 'audio book' gave me shivers.  But still, a story  outloud is always better.  so says an ex story teller (me)

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                            Participant

Ii once listened to a Stephen King Novel and it all depends on which kinda of voice reads it.  Who ever this was was very good and the 'audio book' gave me shivers.  But still, a story  outloud is always better.  so says an ex story teller (me)

TinaR
                                                                                                              Participant

I don't mind audio-books- concept around for a long time and wasn't threatening to kill books. I don't know if you were on the boards when my family took the long, RV, summer trip around the United States. Did I mention it was looonnng? I listened to books on cd. It saved my life-3 months in a RV with 2 kids and a dog…you need noise in your head of your own choosing ! I enjoyed the celebrity readers much more than the author readers…they were very stiff.

TinaR
                                                                                                                Participant

I don't mind audio-books- concept around for a long time and wasn't threatening to kill books. I don't know if you were on the boards when my family took the long, RV, summer trip around the United States. Did I mention it was looonnng? I listened to books on cd. It saved my life-3 months in a RV with 2 kids and a dog…you need noise in your head of your own choosing ! I enjoyed the celebrity readers much more than the author readers…they were very stiff.

Janner
                                                                                                                  Participant

I learned about the books on tape many years ago when I had some eye surgeries.  I wasn't able to read or watch tv.  The tapes saved me.  There wasn't much of a selection back then, but it got me hooked.  I always have books for car trips now and even commuting to/from work.   And, unlike the rest of you, the library provides me with a great source free.  I tend to make my own copies or rip them for an mp3 player later.  Audiobooks are more expensive than the paper versions!  I've found that some authors do a good job of reading, but I, too, enjoy to professional readers.

Janner
                                                                                                                    Participant

I learned about the books on tape many years ago when I had some eye surgeries.  I wasn't able to read or watch tv.  The tapes saved me.  There wasn't much of a selection back then, but it got me hooked.  I always have books for car trips now and even commuting to/from work.   And, unlike the rest of you, the library provides me with a great source free.  I tend to make my own copies or rip them for an mp3 player later.  Audiobooks are more expensive than the paper versions!  I've found that some authors do a good job of reading, but I, too, enjoy to professional readers.

Janner
                                                                                                                      Participant

cool

I'm better able to eat chocolate and read because most of the books I "read" are actually on CDs in the car or eAudiobooks. 

vickie
                                                                                                                        Participant

You would love my books. Reading is my great pleasure along with eating chocolate. Most of my books have brown smears on some of the pages but I SWEAR! It's chocolate.

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                                        Participant

up here, we have sani wipes as one gets into the grocery store, but that doesn't STOP sniffling sneezing sometimes gross customers too man(or)womanhandling the produce.  No wonder the meat is vaccu wrapped.  BOOKS  well I buy those crossword puzzle books for my mom, and Lordy knows how many little old ladies and gents have flipped through them finding ones with LARGE PRINT.

Regarding that hairy strip…… it was sooooooo long wasn't it.  made me think of a hairy guy (back) getting one of those veet strips stuck on him.  Thank god my guy aint a hairy one.  whew…..  Does sharing kisses with puppy or kitty count?

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                                          Participant

up here, we have sani wipes as one gets into the grocery store, but that doesn't STOP sniffling sneezing sometimes gross customers too man(or)womanhandling the produce.  No wonder the meat is vaccu wrapped.  BOOKS  well I buy those crossword puzzle books for my mom, and Lordy knows how many little old ladies and gents have flipped through them finding ones with LARGE PRINT.

Regarding that hairy strip…… it was sooooooo long wasn't it.  made me think of a hairy guy (back) getting one of those veet strips stuck on him.  Thank god my guy aint a hairy one.  whew…..  Does sharing kisses with puppy or kitty count?

TinaR
                                                                                                                              Participant

They. Lick. Their. Parts. With. Their. Tongues. ….It counts… as gross.

Nancylee
                                                                                                                                Participant

tru-dat!!

Kimmer
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Yep. 'tis true.  Hubs just got finished with a round of anit-biotics from getting fanged by a terrier that attacked our 14 year old AbbeyDog.  He did keep her safe though.  Guess we have had our share of puppy kisses, but still here to tell the stories.

As for the Kindle…herumphhhh.  And I am a fairly fiscally conservative Rebublican type..(don't have to agree on the social stuff, though).

I am a teacher, trained as a reading specialist who worked mostly with the 'free lunch' kiddos.  These guys didn't have much access to books at home, for whatever reason.  I was fortunate to work with groups of 5 and could let  them read  their own copies of classic picture books that they had heard at read alouds.  It was amazing to see how they loved to HOLD the books…look at the pictures and find the words.  I can draw pretty well, so we made murals on butcher paper and they retold the stories, revisiting the text and getting so much from the sequence.  I could be wrong, but I just don't think that e-readers would have evoked the same kind of enthusiasm.  I gave away many books too, over the years.  It just wouldn't be the same to give them a download.  I admit to being vain and wanting to give them an inscription to remember me by.  LOL

However, we have to keep up with the times…I am of the opinion that new technology will create some new jobs.  It might just be a brave new world.  I will not buy a Kindle or a Nook though.  They are 'uni-taskers'.

I love this new Motorola Xoom tablet thing that Hubs got me for my birthday tomorrow.  (He doesn't know that I found the hiding place.)

I must remember to act really surprised.

Take good care, k.

Kimmer
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Yep. 'tis true.  Hubs just got finished with a round of anit-biotics from getting fanged by a terrier that attacked our 14 year old AbbeyDog.  He did keep her safe though.  Guess we have had our share of puppy kisses, but still here to tell the stories.

As for the Kindle…herumphhhh.  And I am a fairly fiscally conservative Rebublican type..(don't have to agree on the social stuff, though).

I am a teacher, trained as a reading specialist who worked mostly with the 'free lunch' kiddos.  These guys didn't have much access to books at home, for whatever reason.  I was fortunate to work with groups of 5 and could let  them read  their own copies of classic picture books that they had heard at read alouds.  It was amazing to see how they loved to HOLD the books…look at the pictures and find the words.  I can draw pretty well, so we made murals on butcher paper and they retold the stories, revisiting the text and getting so much from the sequence.  I could be wrong, but I just don't think that e-readers would have evoked the same kind of enthusiasm.  I gave away many books too, over the years.  It just wouldn't be the same to give them a download.  I admit to being vain and wanting to give them an inscription to remember me by.  LOL

However, we have to keep up with the times…I am of the opinion that new technology will create some new jobs.  It might just be a brave new world.  I will not buy a Kindle or a Nook though.  They are 'uni-taskers'.

I love this new Motorola Xoom tablet thing that Hubs got me for my birthday tomorrow.  (He doesn't know that I found the hiding place.)

I must remember to act really surprised.

Take good care, k.

Nancylee
                                                                                                                                      Participant

tru-dat!!

TinaR
                                                                                                                                        Participant

They. Lick. Their. Parts. With. Their. Tongues. ….It counts… as gross.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics