The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I got my pathology report today

Forums General Melanoma Community I got my pathology report today

Participant
      The report looks good with one little exception. I will see the oncologist in two weeks for rond two.

Here are the results…
      Malignant Melanoma
      Type: superficial spreading malignant melanoma
      Clark’s Level: II
      Thickness: breslow of .26 mm
      No ulceration
      Dermal Mitotic Rate: 0 (this really shocked me!)
      Lymphomas ulnar space invasion : none
      Precursor Nevus: present
      Biopsy Margins: the lesion extends close to at least one radial margin: wider margins are indicated

It appears I had a partial regression.

We found another very little spot on the palm of my hand that will need to be checked out.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        AngelaM
        Participant

This is very, very early. You should be fine. The only potentially worrisome factor is the partial regression, but the oncologist will advise you further.

You will need to have regular check ups with your dermatologist, however, as a second primary is always a possibility.

AngelaM
          Participant

This is very, very early. You should be fine. The only potentially worrisome factor is the partial regression, but the oncologist will advise you further.

You will need to have regular check ups with your dermatologist, however, as a second primary is always a possibility.

JC
              Participant

It's not clear whether regression is signifcant with regard to prognosis.  But, partial regression is not.  Extensive regression (> 50-75%) can be a negative prognostic characteristic as it could mean the lesion was once deeper, but partial/focal regression is not significant pathologically.  This is, indeed, very early – microinvasive.

Jennholbert
                Participant
                  Thanks forr your responses!
                  Jennholbert
                  Participant
                    Jennholbert
                    Participant
                      JC
                      Participant

It's not clear whether regression is signifcant with regard to prognosis.  But, partial regression is not.  Extensive regression (> 50-75%) can be a negative prognostic characteristic as it could mean the lesion was once deeper, but partial/focal regression is not significant pathologically.  This is, indeed, very early – microinvasive.

JC
                        Participant

AngelaM
                        Participant

jag
                          Participant

Wider margins are indicated means that they will have to remove more tissue in the local area which translates to a deeper and wider excision of remaining tissue.  If they suggest this, it is okay.  Just be sure to ask how wide and deep they will need to  go, and make sure that it is enough.  If possible find a dermatologist that specializes in melanoma.

JC
                              Participant

for your lesion, WLE should be 1cm margins and down to the fascia for depth

they won't find anything in the excised tissue, rarely do. . it was excised in the biopsy

JC
                                Participant

they won't find anything in the excised tissue, rarely do. . it was excised in the biopsy

JC
                                  Participant

Jennholbert
                                    Participant
                                      Thank you for both of your responses. I’ve been told they will do 1cm margins and then stitch it up.
                                      I have been referred to the head of the melanoma department at UCI and I will see him on August 15th.

Thanks again!

Jennholbert
                                      Participant
                                        Thank you for both of your responses. I’ve been told they will do 1cm margins and then stitch it up.
                                        I have been referred to the head of the melanoma department at UCI and I will see him on August 15th.

Thanks again!

natasha
                                        Participant

Hi!

Your pathology is very similiar to mine . Breslow 0.2 , no mitotis ,radial growth phase ,no ulceration.

Then Doctor removed my mole for biopsy ,he already took about half cm around it , margins were clear.

But after diagnosys Docs decided to do even wider excition and took another 1 cm around:) Clear margins again.

So I ended up with 1.5 cm margins.

I have 5 cm scar on my right breast ( I am female) .

I am happy they took first biopsy with larger margins ,and scar is nothing compare to peace of mind !!!!!!!

Good luck to you ,you are in safer place with your diagnosys ,it is very shallow !!!!!!!

natasha
                                          Participant

Hi!

Your pathology is very similiar to mine . Breslow 0.2 , no mitotis ,radial growth phase ,no ulceration.

Then Doctor removed my mole for biopsy ,he already took about half cm around it , margins were clear.

But after diagnosys Docs decided to do even wider excition and took another 1 cm around:) Clear margins again.

I am happy they took first biopsy with larger margins ,and scar is nothing compare to peace of mind !!!!!!!

Good luck to you ,you are in safer place with your diagnosys ,it is very shallow !!!!!!!

natasha
                                            Participant

Hi!

Jennholbert
                                              Participant

Thanks again!

jag
                                              Participant

Wider margins are indicated means that they will have to remove more tissue in the local area which translates to a deeper and wider excision of remaining tissue.  If they suggest this, it is okay.  Just be sure to ask how wide and deep they will need to  go, and make sure that it is enough.  If possible find a dermatologist that specializes in melanoma.

jag
                                                Participant

LynnLuc
                                                  Participant

Sounds like you are going to have a long and healthy life!!

LynnLuc
                                                    Participant

LynnLuc
                                                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics