The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I am standing on the seashore – a poem for my dying wife in the hospice

Forums General Melanoma Community I am standing on the seashore – a poem for my dying wife in the hospice

Participant

I didn't write it, but I love it.

More thoughts on my Melanoma fighter wife, Teri on our personal blog. She passed away 11/08/2011

Many people have found this blog helpful to people experiencing loss from melanoma

I am standing on the sea shore

Teri is sleeping comfortably at the hospice house. It is beautiful, just like her, it’s where she belongs.

I didn't write it, but I love it.

More thoughts on my Melanoma fighter wife, Teri on our personal blog. She passed away 11/08/2011

Many people have found this blog helpful to people experiencing loss from melanoma

I am standing on the sea shore

Teri is sleeping comfortably at the hospice house. It is beautiful, just like her, it’s where she belongs.

I am standing on the sea shore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
      Then someone at my side says “There, she is gone!”

“Gone Where?”

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear the load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!” There are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: “Here she Comes!”

— Henry Van Dyke

More grieving posts on http://hoogenakker.net

http://hoogenakker.net/?p=323

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sherron
        Participant

I am so sorry for your pain…I can feel it, hear it, see it, taste it…..I know it too well…My husband passed away on November 30, 2010.  I don't think  I will ever be who I once was…..Not even sure who I am, what my purpose is.  I lost the love of my life, my best-fried, my soul-mate, the wind beneath my wings…and I don't think I will ever totally recover from this loss.  I am still working, I drive to work, like a remote is driving…I just get in the car and it goes…I come home to our home,  empty home, but a home we both loved.  We had remodeled a portion of it before he passed away.  I have finally contacted our contractor, I want to finish it up.  For it to look like we wanted it.  I still love my home, can sometimes feel his presence, and think of funny things and can laugh a little.  We were married 4 days short of 43 years.  I don't know how I have got thru the past 14 months…Yes, I do…Only because I have a great faith in God….and He has been holdling my hand thru this journey, somedays dragging me.  My heart is cracked open with a hugh hole and the remainder of the heart is shattered.  Can it ever be repaired.  I think not. 

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
          Participant

I am so sorry for your pain…I can feel it, hear it, see it, taste it…..I know it too well…My husband passed away on November 30, 2010.  I don't think  I will ever be who I once was…..Not even sure who I am, what my purpose is.  I lost the love of my life, my best-fried, my soul-mate, the wind beneath my wings…and I don't think I will ever totally recover from this loss.  I am still working, I drive to work, like a remote is driving…I just get in the car and it goes…I come home to our home,  empty home, but a home we both loved.  We had remodeled a portion of it before he passed away.  I have finally contacted our contractor, I want to finish it up.  For it to look like we wanted it.  I still love my home, can sometimes feel his presence, and think of funny things and can laugh a little.  We were married 4 days short of 43 years.  I don't know how I have got thru the past 14 months…Yes, I do…Only because I have a great faith in God….and He has been holdling my hand thru this journey, somedays dragging me.  My heart is cracked open with a hugh hole and the remainder of the heart is shattered.  Can it ever be repaired.  I think not. 

Take Care,

Sherron
            Participant

Take Care,

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics