The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hypercalcemia

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Hypercalcemia

Participant

Hi All,

I have metastatic Ocular Melanoma, and have been fighting mets in the liver for 9 years.  I have mets in the liver, lungs, peritoneum, abdominal wall, and more. 

Hi All,

I have metastatic Ocular Melanoma, and have been fighting mets in the liver for 9 years.  I have mets in the liver, lungs, peritoneum, abdominal wall, and more. 

I would like to share with you something that has come up recently for me as a consequence of metastatic cancer that I never heard of before. The condition is hypercalcemia–too much calcium in the blood. In my case, I ended up in the hospital for 3 days while they figured out the situation and what to do about it. They think it is caused by the melanoma itself, which releases some substance that encourages calcium to be leached out of my bones. For anybody this is pretty serious, but for an old lady like me, it's scary. I will end up getting zometa, which only will slow down the leaching. Nothing can replace the calcium already leached out. Be sure to note that I do not have any bone mets, if my hypercalcemia is caused by cancer, it is all soft tissue cancer.

They checked out and rejected the most obvious cause, parathyroid involvement, and probably other possible causes, but settled on cancer as the default hypothesis.

The possible symptoms of hypercalcemia are wide-ranging: for e.g., confusion, memory loss, constipation, abdominal pain, kidney stones, etc. etc. The condition of hypercalcemia is discovered by a simple blood test.

Has anyone encountered hypercalcemia due to cancer before? 

Esther

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        natasha
        Participant

Hi ,Esther !

I am sorry I cannot provide you with information you need. All I can say – I will pray for you and for all cancer patients !

My nanny battled cancer and she lost

My cousine is battling lymph cancer now

I am melanoma patient.

My heart goes out for everyone and I am asking God to fogive us and stop cancer .

Best wishes.

Natasha ,UK

edamaser
            Participant

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for your sympathy, and I'm sending some right back at you.

Do you have metastatic melanoma?  If so, what treatments have you received?

Wishing you the best of luck,

Esther

natasha
              Participant

Hi! I am stage 1A so far. Breslow is 0.2 mm Clark2 ,n mitosis no ulceration. I had Wide Excision day before yesterday .

No more treatment was recommended. I was asking for SNB PET tests or even something ,but seems I am going to get it.   Which treatments did you have ,Esther ?

Thank you

natasha
                Participant

Hi! I am stage 1A so far. Breslow is 0.2 mm Clark2 ,n mitosis no ulceration. I had Wide Excision day before yesterday .

No more treatment was recommended. I was asking for SNB PET tests or even something ,but seems I am going to get it.   Which treatments did you have ,Esther ?

Thank you

edamaser
                  Participant

Hi Natasha,

You may not believe the following, but truly I have had all the following treatments. At least I'm still here.

1980- photocoagulation of eye

1988 plaque radiation of eye

Starting 2003 the following

7 immuno-embos of liver-with GMCSF

Abdominal infusions with Taxol

Avastin & Nexavar clinical trial

Surgery removing 2 large peritoneal mets

Sutent clinical trial

Cyberknife on two lgrowing liver lesions

VATS lung surgery–removes two new lesions

Vaccine/PD-1 troa;

4 monthly immuno-embos with GMCSF & IL2

Yervoy

In between I have had surgery as above, but also including several laparoscopies, and both placement and removal of a port.

I'm still here, and you are too,

Esther

edamaser
                    Participant

Hi Natasha,

You may not believe the following, but truly I have had all the following treatments. At least I'm still here.

Sutent clinical trial

Vaccine/PD-1 troa;

Yervoy

In between I have had surgery as above, but also including several laparoscopies, and both placement and removal of a port.

Esther

edamaser
                      Participant

Hi Natasha,

Sutent clinical trial

Vaccine/PD-1 troa;

Yervoy

Esther

natasha
                        Participant

Thank you

edamaser
                          Participant

Hi Natasha,

Esther

edamaser
                            Participant

Hi Natasha,

Esther

natasha
                            Participant

Hi ,Esther !

I am sorry I cannot provide you with information you need. All I can say – I will pray for you and for all cancer patients !

I am melanoma patient.

My heart goes out for everyone and I am asking God to fogive us and stop cancer .

Best wishes.

Natasha ,UK

natasha
                              Participant

Hi ,Esther !

I am melanoma patient.

Best wishes.

Natasha ,UK

mzeigler
                                Participant

I'm sorry for your situation with liver mets and your battle with melanoma.  My wife, before she passed away had high calcium levels in her blood.  She had lytic lesions on some of her bones like the femur and pelvic bones.  The bones being damaged by melanoma caused the high calcium levels in her blood.  Some of the symptoms included mental confusion and fatigue before they got her levels lowered.  Mike

boot2aboot
                                    Participant

thanks for letting us know Esther…and yes, that would be very scary…i hope that they get your calcium levels down asap

boots

edamaser
                                      Participant

Thanks Mike & Boots,

Tomorrow I'll find out it I have brain mets (previous scan was suspicious), how my calcium level is, and I'll probably get Zometa.

It never ends, does it?

Esther

edamaser
                                        Participant

Thanks Mike & Boots,

Tomorrow I'll find out it I have brain mets (previous scan was suspicious), how my calcium level is, and I'll probably get Zometa.

It never ends, does it?

Esther

edamaser
                                          Participant

Thanks Mike & Boots,

It never ends, does it?

Esther

boot2aboot
                                            Participant

thanks for letting us know Esther…and yes, that would be very scary…i hope that they get your calcium levels down asap

boots

boot2aboot
                                              Participant

boots

mzeigler
                                              Participant

I'm sorry for your situation with liver mets and your battle with melanoma.  My wife, before she passed away had high calcium levels in her blood.  She had lytic lesions on some of her bones like the femur and pelvic bones.  The bones being damaged by melanoma caused the high calcium levels in her blood.  Some of the symptoms included mental confusion and fatigue before they got her levels lowered.  Mike

mzeigler
                                                Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics