The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Husband Starts Yervoy Tomorrow

Forums General Melanoma Community Husband Starts Yervoy Tomorrow

Participant

Hi all … tomorrow (July 2) my husband starts ipilumumab. I'm hopeful yet incredibly nervous. I've detailed our journey in my profile but basically just over six weeks ago he had a melanoma tumor removed that was growing around his spinal cord and was also treated with radiation (as they couldn't remove the whole tumor). Just within the past day or two, he has been more like himself. Less pain though some fatigue and bowel issues from the radiation.

Hi all … tomorrow (July 2) my husband starts ipilumumab. I'm hopeful yet incredibly nervous. I've detailed our journey in my profile but basically just over six weeks ago he had a melanoma tumor removed that was growing around his spinal cord and was also treated with radiation (as they couldn't remove the whole tumor). Just within the past day or two, he has been more like himself. Less pain though some fatigue and bowel issues from the radiation. Now we start the next phase of his treatment with his first infusion of Yervoy and I'm just so worried about how he'll react to it. I know nobody can predict this and I'm not sure the purpose of my post except to hear some encouraging words of support. I'm sorry – this is my first post though I've read many of your moving stories. I hope and pray that someday I'll be able to offer others on here the same support and a story of success that brings hope. Thanks. Kimberly

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        hbecker
        Participant

Kimberly,

In addition to the success many patients have had with Yervoy, here's a ray of hope for you – a study was just released showing that people with recurrence after 10 years are less likely to die of the disease than those whose recurrence was less than three years after initial diagnosis. 

http://consumer.healthday.com/cancer-information-5/mis-cancer-news-102/melanoma-may-return-a-decade-later-in-some-677821.html   

Hang in there – and please keep us posted!

~Hazel

hbecker
          Participant

Kimberly,

In addition to the success many patients have had with Yervoy, here's a ray of hope for you – a study was just released showing that people with recurrence after 10 years are less likely to die of the disease than those whose recurrence was less than three years after initial diagnosis. 

http://consumer.healthday.com/cancer-information-5/mis-cancer-news-102/melanoma-may-return-a-decade-later-in-some-677821.html   

~Hazel

hbecker
            Participant

Kimberly,

~Hazel

Gene_S
              Participant

Hello Kimberly,

My husbnd started Ipi in March 2011 and he was on the arm with Ipi and GM-CSF (this is a self injection for 14 days and then none for 7 days)  Clinical Trial.  He didn't have many side effects from it.  We watched the sub q's go down and away it was great.  He had the original 4 doses and then has been in the maintenance phase ever since finishing the original meaning he gets a dose every 12 weeks.   For 9 months he has been NED (no evidence of disease).  You can read more on his profile.  

Just wanted you to know it worked for him and it might for your husband as well.  Having a good positive mental attitude helps as well as having your Vitamin D checked and keeping it under control as well.

Judy (loving wife of Gene, Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                Participant

Hello Kimberly,

My husbnd started Ipi in March 2011 and he was on the arm with Ipi and GM-CSF (this is a self injection for 14 days and then none for 7 days)  Clinical Trial.  He didn't have many side effects from it.  We watched the sub q's go down and away it was great.  He had the original 4 doses and then has been in the maintenance phase ever since finishing the original meaning he gets a dose every 12 weeks.   For 9 months he has been NED (no evidence of disease).  You can read more on his profile.  

Just wanted you to know it worked for him and it might for your husband as well.  Having a good positive mental attitude helps as well as having your Vitamin D checked and keeping it under control as well.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hello Kimberly,

HopefulOne
                    Participant
                      A quick update on my husband. He’s supposed to have his second infusion of ipi this Tuesday, July 23. But I’m not sure if that’s going to happen. During the last week, he’s had increased stomach pain and BMs. He kept insisting that it was from the radiation. He feels nauseous almost all day and gets bad stomach pain until he goes to the bathroom and even then the discomfort continues. His BMs increased from once or twice a day before radiation to 3-5 times a day after radiation. Then last night (Saturday) he went probably 5-6 times in three hours and 8 times throughout the day. We called the answering service at 11:30 last night. They said if nobody calls in 20 minutes to call back. Well while we were waiting my husband fell asleep and was peaceful through the night. And I didn’t call back. If he does better today, I’m thinking we’ll just wait until Monday to talk to his doctor. I can’t say I’m confident in the on-call person since we didn’t get a call back.

It’s just so confusing. How do you know if it’s just the side effects of radiation. Or the ipi. Or if last night was just a normal bout of diarrhea. Or does it not matter what the cause is? I’m so paranoid from all the literature. But how fast does colitis turn serious? Can we wait until Tuesday when we see the doctor?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

HopefulOne
                      Participant
                        A quick update on my husband. He’s supposed to have his second infusion of ipi this Tuesday, July 23. But I’m not sure if that’s going to happen. During the last week, he’s had increased stomach pain and BMs. He kept insisting that it was from the radiation. He feels nauseous almost all day and gets bad stomach pain until he goes to the bathroom and even then the discomfort continues. His BMs increased from once or twice a day before radiation to 3-5 times a day after radiation. Then last night (Saturday) he went probably 5-6 times in three hours and 8 times throughout the day. We called the answering service at 11:30 last night. They said if nobody calls in 20 minutes to call back. Well while we were waiting my husband fell asleep and was peaceful through the night. And I didn’t call back. If he does better today, I’m thinking we’ll just wait until Monday to talk to his doctor. I can’t say I’m confident in the on-call person since we didn’t get a call back.

It’s just so confusing. How do you know if it’s just the side effects of radiation. Or the ipi. Or if last night was just a normal bout of diarrhea. Or does it not matter what the cause is? I’m so paranoid from all the literature. But how fast does colitis turn serious? Can we wait until Tuesday when we see the doctor?

HopefulOne
                        Participant

HopefulOne
                          Participant

Hi Hazel,

Thank you for your message. I did just see that study news (I search Google News every day for the latest news on melanoma) and am always so encouraged by the latest breaking news regarding melanoma research. My greatest wish is that a cure comes quickly for all of us affected by this insidious disease. Thanks again for your positive spirit. I will definitely post updates.

Kimberly

HopefulOne
                            Participant

Hi Hazel,

Thank you for your message. I did just see that study news (I search Google News every day for the latest news on melanoma) and am always so encouraged by the latest breaking news regarding melanoma research. My greatest wish is that a cure comes quickly for all of us affected by this insidious disease. Thanks again for your positive spirit. I will definitely post updates.

Kimberly

HopefulOne
                              Participant

Hi Hazel,

Kimberly

HopefulOne
                                Participant
                                  Hi Judy,

Thank you so much for your message. I got it just as we arrived for his first infusion. And it was just a great positive story to hear. So thank you for sharing. So happy to hear that ipi is working for your husband. As I’m waiting for my husband’s infusion to start I’m hoping and praying it does for us too. Thanks again.

Kimberly

HopefulOne
                                  Participant
                                    Hi Judy,

Thank you so much for your message. I got it just as we arrived for his first infusion. And it was just a great positive story to hear. So thank you for sharing. So happy to hear that ipi is working for your husband. As I’m waiting for my husband’s infusion to start I’m hoping and praying it does for us too. Thanks again.

Kimberly

HopefulOne
                                    Participant
                                      Hi Judy,

Kimberly

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics