The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Husband stage IV

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Husband stage IV

Participant
      Husband taken off trial and off chemo. It worked to reduce all tumors and remove the small lung tumors and all subcutaneous are gone. Still has 2 in the liver, one 3.1cm and one 1.8cm. Dr. said we will wait until January and re-scan because he is no longer a candidate for any trial nor chemo. He said waiting 3 months was within guidelines and since they haven’t grown or shrunk in two months he feels safe doing so. I feel like I’m going nuts.

Husband taken off trial and off chemo. It worked to reduce all tumors and remove the small lung tumors and all subcutaneous are gone. Still has 2 in the liver, one 3.1cm and one 1.8cm. Dr. said we will wait until January and re-scan because he is no longer a candidate for any trial nor chemo. He said waiting 3 months was within guidelines and since they haven’t grown or shrunk in two months he feels safe doing so. I feel like I’m going nuts.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linda/Kentucky
        Participant

What type chemo and trial did he have? sounds like it must have been fairly successful…. Good luck during the next 3 months I know this will be hard.  At least you may be able to enjoy the holidays~~~

Linda/Kentucky

jenniperry
            Participant
              It was pretty successful, Decitabane infusions with Temodar pills. It just seems crazy to sit now that we got down to two tumors and see what happens in three months. I know that chemo is not an option for him right now, so that is what I’m trying to do, just wait and enjoy every day he feels good. Thanks
              jenniperry
              Participant
                It was pretty successful, Decitabane infusions with Temodar pills. It just seems crazy to sit now that we got down to two tumors and see what happens in three months. I know that chemo is not an option for him right now, so that is what I’m trying to do, just wait and enjoy every day he feels good. Thanks
              Linda/Kentucky
              Participant

What type chemo and trial did he have? sounds like it must have been fairly successful…. Good luck during the next 3 months I know this will be hard.  At least you may be able to enjoy the holidays~~~

Linda/Kentucky

jag
                Participant

I would strongly reccomend you get a 2nd opinion.  I am of the same mindset as you in terms of reducing tumor burden as much as possible until you are finally disease free.  I would ask about the compassionate use ipilimumab trial and see if he is elegible for that.

Best

John 

jag
                  Participant

I would strongly reccomend you get a 2nd opinion.  I am of the same mindset as you in terms of reducing tumor burden as much as possible until you are finally disease free.  I would ask about the compassionate use ipilimumab trial and see if he is elegible for that.

Best

John 

BethA in VA
                    Participant

Good luck.  Have a good holiday season and then face whatever you have to.  Enjoy each and every day.  Beth

BethA in VA
                      Participant

Good luck.  Have a good holiday season and then face whatever you have to.  Enjoy each and every day.  Beth

Rocklove
                        Participant

Jennyperry what about trials available @ other cancer centers? Hopefully the doctor is right. 

But that is a pressure cooker wait.

You need to be prepared if the tumors become active in the January scan, what is the plan of action. If this doctor does not have one, I encourage you to reach out and find a treatment trial available.

Wishing you and family strength, courage and wisdom.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

jenniperry
                            Participant

They called from the Hillman cancer center today and scheduled his scans for two weeks earlier at Jan 3rd.  Still 2 months away though.  He isn't elligible for any trial right now due to his bloodwork and that's why chemo is out as well.  Just really feeling terrified that this nightmare that we have already been through this year has just started.  Trying to live in the moment when I'm with him. 

EricNJill
                              Participant

I understand completely how you feel.  It's terrifying waiting in between treatments just not doing anything.  We also go to Hillman and love Dr. Kirkwood and his staff.  We were 1 week away from beginning a BRAF trail in Tennessee because Hillman didn't have anymore trials for us and we found out Eric's cancer spread to the brain.  Now we have to wait for 2 months of tumor free brain scans and that's terrifying.

Good luck to you and your husband.  We will be praying for you.

JillNEric in OH

jenniperry
                                Participant
                                  I’m so sorry for you, it’s horrible waiting. I spoke with Laura, Moschos’s PA, and we are doing a biopsy of his new spots. He started getting these spots that look kind of like chicken pox or mosquito bites. I have a friend who is a surgeon locally so he is going to do the biopsy tomorrow for us. We also found a new subcutaneous spot this morning so it looks like we may not even get to wait. Now I wish we were just waiting and nothing new going on. I hate this disease. I’m so afraid it’s going to take my husband from us. We will be praying for you and Eric.
                                  jenniperry
                                  Participant
                                    I’m so sorry for you, it’s horrible waiting. I spoke with Laura, Moschos’s PA, and we are doing a biopsy of his new spots. He started getting these spots that look kind of like chicken pox or mosquito bites. I have a friend who is a surgeon locally so he is going to do the biopsy tomorrow for us. We also found a new subcutaneous spot this morning so it looks like we may not even get to wait. Now I wish we were just waiting and nothing new going on. I hate this disease. I’m so afraid it’s going to take my husband from us. We will be praying for you and Eric.
                                    EricNJill
                                    Participant

I understand completely how you feel.  It's terrifying waiting in between treatments just not doing anything.  We also go to Hillman and love Dr. Kirkwood and his staff.  We were 1 week away from beginning a BRAF trail in Tennessee because Hillman didn't have anymore trials for us and we found out Eric's cancer spread to the brain.  Now we have to wait for 2 months of tumor free brain scans and that's terrifying.

Good luck to you and your husband.  We will be praying for you.

JillNEric in OH

jenniperry
                                      Participant

They called from the Hillman cancer center today and scheduled his scans for two weeks earlier at Jan 3rd.  Still 2 months away though.  He isn't elligible for any trial right now due to his bloodwork and that's why chemo is out as well.  Just really feeling terrified that this nightmare that we have already been through this year has just started.  Trying to live in the moment when I'm with him. 

Rocklove
                                      Participant

Jennyperry what about trials available @ other cancer centers? Hopefully the doctor is right. 

But that is a pressure cooker wait.

You need to be prepared if the tumors become active in the January scan, what is the plan of action. If this doctor does not have one, I encourage you to reach out and find a treatment trial available.

Wishing you and family strength, courage and wisdom.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics