The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Husband is on IL-2 bag #5 – Doing Well !

Forums General Melanoma Community Husband is on IL-2 bag #5 – Doing Well !

Participant

Hey Friends—

Have been very derelict in visiting the board, but just wanted to jump and and share that my husband Scott, now freshly Stage IV, has just had bag #5 of high-dose IL-2 administered here at UVA under the amazing guidance of Dr. Grosh. 

Hey Friends—

Have been very derelict in visiting the board, but just wanted to jump and and share that my husband Scott, now freshly Stage IV, has just had bag #5 of high-dose IL-2 administered here at UVA under the amazing guidance of Dr. Grosh. 

While his side effects are palpable (intense flu-like malaise, violent rigors/shivers, blood pressure drops, bloating, etc.) at this point, the timings are predictable, and the incredible crew here (amazing nurses, think EVERY week should be Nurse Appreciation Week!) are making this as pleasant an experience as possible. 🙂

We are highly optimistic my man will be one of the "total, durable, life-long responders!" 

Along with my husband's unflagging sense of humor, we are finding a valuable supplement to the traditional medical intervention is the shared success stories of others.

If you are—or know of— a long-term Stage IV survivor following IL-2 treatment, would you take a moment and share your good news so I can relay to my husband (and our now 10-year-old twins—they were 4 at Daddy's original diagnosis)?

We do know stats and don't for a single minute live our lives or predict our family's outcome based upon them, so if you don't mind, please keep things positive!  🙂

Many thanks, and KEEP FIGHTING, Friends!

Cheryl
      Wife of Melanoma Masher, Scott, now Stage IV, with small "incompetent" mets in lungs

*Diagnosed Stage IIa in October 2005 (WLE/SNB – no nodes), Stage IIIc in October 2009 (radical neck dissection, multiple affected nodes), January 2010, supraclavical recurrence and resection, still Stage IIIc. June 2010, targeted radiation. August 2010, Clinical trial at NCI/NIH under Steven Rosenberg. March 2012, surgical biopsy at NIH reveals long-observed and stable nodes in lungs "changing" and verified melanoma. Stage IV, and ready to pull out the big guns! 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        susanr
        Participant

Cheryl,

My thoughts are with you any your family.  tell your husband if he can take 5 bags…..bring more on !!!!!!  He can take it.

My brother just went Stage IV in 2/2012.  He may do IL also when stronger but on Temodor and Abraxane now.  I have spoken to many Stage IV troopers and they all had a response.  Some were long term….a few yrs. and some were about a year.  I will try to go back and look at my emails and make another re-post to you.  Be strong !!!!!!!!!

SusanR  NY

CherylL
            Participant

Thank you so much, Susan! 

I will definitely keep your brother (and YOU!) in thoughts and prayers. Strength and healing to him, and peace to you. SQUASH that melanoma!

CherylL
              Participant

I will definitely keep your brother (and YOU!) in thoughts and prayers. Strength and healing to him, and peace to you. SQUASH that melanoma!

CherylL
                Participant

CherylL
                  Participant

CherylL
                    Participant

CherylL
                      Participant

susanr
                      Participant

Cheryl,

My thoughts are with you any your family.  tell your husband if he can take 5 bags…..bring more on !!!!!!  He can take it.

My brother just went Stage IV in 2/2012.  He may do IL also when stronger but on Temodor and Abraxane now.  I have spoken to many Stage IV troopers and they all had a response.  Some were long term….a few yrs. and some were about a year.  I will try to go back and look at my emails and make another re-post to you.  Be strong !!!!!!!!!

SusanR  NY

susanr
                        Participant

Cheryl,

SusanR  NY

Phil S
                          Participant
                            Cheryl, My husband is on his second bag of high dose IL2 right now, we are in Houston at MDAnderson. Not meaning to speak for others, but one huge success story on IL2 is DebbieVa. Look her up and read her caring bridge site, it’s inspiring! Go Scott!! Take care, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                            Phil S
                            Participant
                              Cheryl, My husband is on his second bag of high dose IL2 right now, we are in Houston at MDAnderson. Not meaning to speak for others, but one huge success story on IL2 is DebbieVa. Look her up and read her caring bridge site, it’s inspiring! Go Scott!! Take care, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                              Phil S
                              Participant
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics