The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Husband fundraising for the ACS Hope Lodge

Forums Caregiver Community Husband fundraising for the ACS Hope Lodge

Participant
      Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well this Friday afternoon. I don't post here as often as I used to. I mostly posted back in 2006/2007 when I was going thru treatment for stage 3 melanoma. I pop in every now and then to see how everyone is doing and I comment if I can help. Anyway, on a happy note, I just celebrated my five-year cancer-free milestone, and feeling great!

I'm posting today because my husband, Jason, is taking part in the American Cancer Society's Shave to Save event this year here in Kansas City. For those not familiar with Shave to Save, basically the event raises funds for the American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge of Kansas City. The Hope Lodge is a facility here in Kansas City (there are actually a few others around the country as well) that provides free, temporary housing to cancer patients and their caregivers during treatment. The guests who stay at the Lodge are from all over the country (but mostly in the midwest), so you can imagine the amount of money the Lodge saves those fighting cancer. Some guests stay there upwards of 3 months or more while undergoing treatment. I personally volunteer there every week and it's truly an amazing place!

So my husband has pledged to shave his head and try to raise $5000 for the American Cancer Society and the Hope Lodge. We're half way there (yay), but we're hoping to hit our goal by the end of the month. If you're interested in donating and helping us hit our goal, here's his fundraising page:  http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=26265331&pg=personal&fr_id=41542

Every little bit helps, so if you could pass this along to your friends & families who may be interested in helping, we'd greatly appreciate it!

Also, in addition to the Shave to Save event, the American Cancer Society holds a Wine Tasting and Auction. The event is being held on April 12th. Here's the website: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/CommunityFundraisingPages/CFPFY10HighPlains?sid=155525&type=fr_informational&pg=informational&fr_id=41542

If you're from the Kansas City area and interested in going, you can purchase tickets online (via the website above), and your purchase will be credited toward Jason's fundraising goal by selecting his name (Jason Stone) from the drop down menu during the payment process. A general admission ticket is $40 and includes food, beer and wine, and a commemorative party favor. I've never been to the event before, but from what I understand, it's a good time.

Just wanted to pass this along to you guys. Let me know if you have any questions, and if you do happen to donate and feel comfortable enough sending me your address, I'd love to send you a personal 'thank you'. Here's my email: [email protected]

Cheers,

~SarahS
      Stage 3, NED 5 years!
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        SarahS
        Participant

Oops, one correction — we're trying to hit our goal by the end of April, not this month.  For some reason my brain keeps telling me it's April already!

SarahS
          Participant

Oops, one correction — we're trying to hit our goal by the end of April, not this month.  For some reason my brain keeps telling me it's April already!

SarahS
            Participant

qaz111
              Participant

gggggggggggggggggggn

qaz111
                Participant

gggggggggggggggggggn

qaz111
                  Participant

gggggggggggggggggggn

Viewing 5 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics