The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

huge tumor and chemo/radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community huge tumor and chemo/radiation

Participant

Hi there,

i have a tumor in my groin that has been growing out of control, and is extremely painful. It is the size larger than a softball and is so painful I can't walk. Last week, my doctors postponed getting the TIL therapy at the NIH, and my local oncologist agreed.

So this week I am starting on chemo and radiation the following week. I'm not sure what to expect from the chemo (carbo/taxol). It will be an infusion for 4.5 hours, every 3 weeks. Has anybody had experience with this chemo. We are hopeful this can shrink the tumor and give me some relief. 

As for the radiation, I have no idea what to expect of it, or how it is administered? I have experience with SRS radiation to the brain, but has anybody have experience with a targeted radiation therapy to the body? If anybody can share some thoughts please let me know. 

Thanks,

Shane

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

Wow Shane. That must be difficult. Hang in there.

I've had and am having radiation to my spine and head. Currently to the spine is targetting 2 spots. 30 gray in 5 fractions to each spot. One day they do one spot. The next the other spot. Basically it is no big deal. When it is happening I don't really feel anything. Since the beams do continue through the rest of me they pass through my stomach in my case so I have a little nausea afterwards but not much. I would expect going into the tumor in the groin I'm not sure what it would pass through. But I expect you should feel some relief after the first or second zap.

Good luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

I've had and am having radiation to my spine and head. Currently to the spine is targetting 2 spots. 30 gray in 5 fractions to each spot. One day they do one spot. The next the other spot. Basically it is no big deal. When it is happening I don't really feel anything. Since the beams do continue through the rest of me they pass through my stomach in my case so I have a little nausea afterwards but not much. I would expect going into the tumor in the groin I'm not sure what it would pass through. But I expect you should feel some relief after the first or second zap.

Good luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Good luck to you.

Artie

Bubbles
              Participant

Hey Shane,

Other than SRS to a brain met…and that doesn't begin to relate to what you are dealing with…I have no radiation experience to share.  But, I do wish you my best.  Hang in there.  C

Bubbles
                Participant

Hey Shane,

Other than SRS to a brain met…and that doesn't begin to relate to what you are dealing with…I have no radiation experience to share.  But, I do wish you my best.  Hang in there.  C

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hey Shane,

RJoeyB
                    Participant

I've had radiation to several bone mets in my legs, one to my lung, and SRS to a brain met.  Experiences can vary based on the actual radiation delivery system and treatment protocol.  Until recently, melanoma was considered "radioresistive" (not responsive to radiation) but newer studies have shown that it can respond to radiation with fewer but larger doses.  Have you been given any details of the treatment schedule and amount of radiation you'll be receiving?  I can answer your question better if you  are able to provide some more information.  Also, if you search my other posts, I've written several with more details about my experience with radiation therapy for melanoma.

Best, Joe

odonoghue80
                        Participant

Thanks for the responses. Yesterday I did have simulation for the radiation. My tumor is very big (about the size of a grapefruit) in my groin and very close to my private area. The plan is to have 10 sessions of radiation Monday though Friday for the next two weeks  

I also have had two rounds of chemo now and this tumor has now shrunk at all. My radiation oncologist has also told me the radiation is unlikely to shrink the tumor. I'm starting to second guess of going through the radiation. Plus the proximity of my private area has some risks of fertility, reducing testosterone, and depleting bone marrow from my hip. I'm just wondering what the benefits of doing this is? I asked him to clarify  yesterday what radiation does, and he said it will make the tumor more sensitive to the chemo and then will increase chance to shrink. Right now I'm just not feeling that great about it especially with the risks. 

But at the same time I'm running out of options. I've had interferon, Mage A3 vaccine, Ipi, BRAF Zelboraf, and Tafinlar/Mekinist, Nivolumab trial, and now chemo and about radiation. 

If anybody has any input Id appreciate it. Especially is anybody had radiation to a body part (not brain) that has been successful – or even if not succesful. 

Thanks,

Shane 

odonoghue80
                          Participant

Thanks for the responses. Yesterday I did have simulation for the radiation. My tumor is very big (about the size of a grapefruit) in my groin and very close to my private area. The plan is to have 10 sessions of radiation Monday though Friday for the next two weeks  

I also have had two rounds of chemo now and this tumor has now shrunk at all. My radiation oncologist has also told me the radiation is unlikely to shrink the tumor. I'm starting to second guess of going through the radiation. Plus the proximity of my private area has some risks of fertility, reducing testosterone, and depleting bone marrow from my hip. I'm just wondering what the benefits of doing this is? I asked him to clarify  yesterday what radiation does, and he said it will make the tumor more sensitive to the chemo and then will increase chance to shrink. Right now I'm just not feeling that great about it especially with the risks. 

But at the same time I'm running out of options. I've had interferon, Mage A3 vaccine, Ipi, BRAF Zelboraf, and Tafinlar/Mekinist, Nivolumab trial, and now chemo and about radiation. 

If anybody has any input Id appreciate it. Especially is anybody had radiation to a body part (not brain) that has been successful – or even if not succesful. 

Thanks,

Shane 

odonoghue80
                            Participant

Thanks,

Shane 

RJoeyB
                            Participant

I've had radiation to several bone mets in my legs, one to my lung, and SRS to a brain met.  Experiences can vary based on the actual radiation delivery system and treatment protocol.  Until recently, melanoma was considered "radioresistive" (not responsive to radiation) but newer studies have shown that it can respond to radiation with fewer but larger doses.  Have you been given any details of the treatment schedule and amount of radiation you'll be receiving?  I can answer your question better if you  are able to provide some more information.  Also, if you search my other posts, I've written several with more details about my experience with radiation therapy for melanoma.

Best, Joe

RJoeyB
                              Participant

Best, Joe

odonoghue80
                                Participant

Thanks,

Shane 

odonoghue80
                                  Participant

Thanks,

Shane 

odonoghue80
                                    Participant

Thanks,

Shane 

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics