The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How to self check for that ugly duckling

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community How to self check for that ugly duckling

Participant

Hello,

As you know I have just been diagnosed and have been researching on how to check for the ugly duckling.  My skin nurse advised me she would show me on my first check up after my WLE in May,

Well, I am trying to educate my self and how to spot any changes, my body has lots of freckles and a handful of moles.. I could play dot to dot!!

What is the best way to track your moles and freckles and measure any changes?  I wanted to do mole mapping, but there is no facility by me in the UK.

You advice would be so valuable to me, as I really don’t know where to start, it sounds simple but feel it’s not that simple!

love and hugs to you all

Mandy x

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        lkb
        Participant

Mandy, I asked my melanoma doc to have my entire body photographed as a way to check for changes. Too soon to know whether it's helpful, but it's a start.

Summer S.
          Participant

Hello dear Mandy, 

I think all of us here go absolutely crazy about every single freckle at the beginning of the journey with melanoma. 

You are not alone :)) 

My mom is a lovely blonde old lady full of freckles, she is stage IV. Here is what we do to spot ugly ones: 

1. We see her dermatologist every 1-2 months. She checks her entire body for any suspicious moles and takes a skin biopsy if she found any. She uses a dermascope in the process. 

2. The dermatologist takes photos of her entire body to compare and see if there are any important changes or evolution. 

3. I have read that some dermatologists use a mapping methodology where they pin down the size and zoomed  photo of all moles. (We do not do so though) 

4. Just know that we do our best, but melanoma is not always something we can capture, we have never found the one that caused all of this till now. It is ok and we just do our best. 

I hope this helps, and I wish you find peace of mind soon. 

Love, 

S. 

MLD1973
              Participant

Thank you Summer for your lovely reply.  I have taken some pics myself and will do a comparison once a month.  It’s all very daunting and lots of anxiety, as you don’t want to miss anything.  W

wishing your lovely mum all the best too x

Mandy xx

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics