The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How to live with this day to day – started ipi but new lump

Forums General Melanoma Community How to live with this day to day – started ipi but new lump

Participant

My husband had great n.e.d. scans after dabra/mek treatment for a recurrence at the surgical site of melanoma. Then a serious side effect caused him to have to stop using it an he switched to IPI.  Now three weeks after first IPI treatment, there is a lump growing again. They said we have to keep using IPI and wait to see if the lump changes.  Cancer sites state things like people with local recurrences like this after surgery have lower survival rates. How the heck is anybody expected to live with this stress? It's driving us nuts.  We don't know if we have hope or not. Thanks for listening. Just venting.

Rose

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        _Paul_
        Participant

Hi Rose,

This sounds similar to me. I had two recurrences at the original site and have had a total of 3 surgeries on my scalp. After the last recurrence I had a PET/CT and this time it came back with mets in lungs, liver and gallbladder. That's when I started IPI. The thing with ipi is that it is slow acting. So I had to wait an additional 4 months for a scan to see if it was working. And it actually seems to be! So there is definitely hope and lots of it. And even if the IPI doesn't work, then there are the anti-PD-1 drugs which are showing even better results, but one must try the IPI first.

Best – Paul.

_Paul_
          Participant

Hi Rose,

This sounds similar to me. I had two recurrences at the original site and have had a total of 3 surgeries on my scalp. After the last recurrence I had a PET/CT and this time it came back with mets in lungs, liver and gallbladder. That's when I started IPI. The thing with ipi is that it is slow acting. So I had to wait an additional 4 months for a scan to see if it was working. And it actually seems to be! So there is definitely hope and lots of it. And even if the IPI doesn't work, then there are the anti-PD-1 drugs which are showing even better results, but one must try the IPI first.

Best – Paul.

_Paul_
            Participant

Hi Rose,

Best – Paul.

Rose2014
                Participant

Thanks Paul

Rose2014
                  Participant

Thanks Paul

Rose2014
                    Participant

Thanks Paul

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

One thing I quit doing was read survival statistics. Most are so out of date anyway. After all pd1 has only been around fourish years and Celeste is a perfect example of being one of the first on it and Ned.

what I've learned is to not expect one treatment to be the silver bullet and life goes back to normal. Just somehow learn to enjoy each day as best we can. Have a plan b or multiple plan b's and try to relax.

not easy to do.

Artie

Sheepsandcows
                        Participant

well said.

Sheepsandcows
                          Participant

well said.

Sheepsandcows
                            Participant

well said.

democat
                              Participant

I wonder when they'll get around to revising the survival statistics. I agree that it's best to ignore them.  I take strength from the stories of all the survivors on this board.

democat
                                Participant

I wonder when they'll get around to revising the survival statistics. I agree that it's best to ignore them.  I take strength from the stories of all the survivors on this board.

Marianne quinn
                                  Participant

It is fairly common for patients on ipi to have what appears to be progression. Often, lymph nodes swell and sometimes even more show up. Some folks think when that  happens it means the ipi is creating a strong immune response. So, be positive and go with that thought. Remember that ipi can take time to show tumor shrinkage. Good luck!

Marianne quinn
                                    Participant

It is fairly common for patients on ipi to have what appears to be progression. Often, lymph nodes swell and sometimes even more show up. Some folks think when that  happens it means the ipi is creating a strong immune response. So, be positive and go with that thought. Remember that ipi can take time to show tumor shrinkage. Good luck!

Rose2014
                                      Participant

Thanks for the support.  It's all so confusing. My husband said the dr said it felt like more melanoma on the surgical site (like happened once before). Thinking he may have not remembered all of the conversation due to stress, I called to clarify and  the nurse read the notes of the meeting and said they were leaning towards thinking it could maybe just be inflammation, so wait and watch over the next couple weeks and if it got worse and was melanoma then they would consider more surgery and switching from ipi to ipi/anti-pd1 combo.   When I feel the lump it does feel exactly like the last recurrence and is in the same place, so it is hard for me to believe it is just inflammation. His scans were completely clear a month ago and now this. He had his second ipi treatment a few days ago. It can't be a lymph node because they took them all out.  It is 1 1/2" x 1" right now, and I dread how we are going to watch it grow again over the week. I just don't see how he could go from clear scan to a 1" lump in the same spot and it be just inflammation. Is it possible that just plain scar tissue can get inflammation??

Rose2014
                                        Participant

Thanks for the support.  It's all so confusing. My husband said the dr said it felt like more melanoma on the surgical site (like happened once before). Thinking he may have not remembered all of the conversation due to stress, I called to clarify and  the nurse read the notes of the meeting and said they were leaning towards thinking it could maybe just be inflammation, so wait and watch over the next couple weeks and if it got worse and was melanoma then they would consider more surgery and switching from ipi to ipi/anti-pd1 combo.   When I feel the lump it does feel exactly like the last recurrence and is in the same place, so it is hard for me to believe it is just inflammation. His scans were completely clear a month ago and now this. He had his second ipi treatment a few days ago. It can't be a lymph node because they took them all out.  It is 1 1/2" x 1" right now, and I dread how we are going to watch it grow again over the week. I just don't see how he could go from clear scan to a 1" lump in the same spot and it be just inflammation. Is it possible that just plain scar tissue can get inflammation??

Rose2014
                                          Participant

Marianne quinn
                                            Participant

democat
                                              Participant

arthurjedi007
                                              Participant

One thing I quit doing was read survival statistics. Most are so out of date anyway. After all pd1 has only been around fourish years and Celeste is a perfect example of being one of the first on it and Ned.

what I've learned is to not expect one treatment to be the silver bullet and life goes back to normal. Just somehow learn to enjoy each day as best we can. Have a plan b or multiple plan b's and try to relax.

not easy to do.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                Participant

not easy to do.

Artie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics