The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How to afford travel expenses

Forums General Melanoma Community How to afford travel expenses

Participant
      We are going to travel from St. Louis to Chicago (about a 6 hour drive) for a consult and hopefully a trial. If my husband qualifies, we’ll be heading up there every 2 weeks or so. How do people afford to do this? We checked with the American Cancer Society and they have a hotel we can stay at for $50 a night..no Hope Lodge, Joe’s House, etc., plus $57 parking per night. So, we’re talking $250+ per visit with gas and food. With no income at this point, we’re not sure how we’ll be able to afford it.

We are going to travel from St. Louis to Chicago (about a 6 hour drive) for a consult and hopefully a trial. If my husband qualifies, we’ll be heading up there every 2 weeks or so. How do people afford to do this? We checked with the American Cancer Society and they have a hotel we can stay at for $50 a night..no Hope Lodge, Joe’s House, etc., plus $57 parking per night. So, we’re talking $250+ per visit with gas and food. With no income at this point, we’re not sure how we’ll be able to afford it. I’m sure my mom will help us out, but we’re wondering if there are other resources that might help with gas, food or lodging.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cooper
        Participant

American Cancer Society I've heard gives out gas cards and one time grants I think.  It isn't much though.  Try MIF for resources. (melanomaforum.org)

Cooper
          Participant

American Cancer Society I've heard gives out gas cards and one time grants I think.  It isn't much though.  Try MIF for resources. (melanomaforum.org)

Cooper
            Participant

Charlie S
              Participant

Not sure of the level of support they can give, but the MRF does have oncology social workers that you can speak with.

Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF), in partnership with CancerCare, is pleased to announce a free telephone helpline to assist melanoma patients and their loved ones. Funded by the MRF and staffed by CancerCare's professional oncology social workers, the helpline provides counseling and practical help to anyone facing a melanoma diagnosis.

To reach the helpline, please call 1-877-MRF-6460 (1-877-673-6460)  Monday through Thursday, from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Eastern Time.

Also, it's 48 bucks roundtrip on Amtrak per person ST. Louis/Chicago  with daily service it's about a five hour comfy ride and rail points add up quickly.  Public transit while in Chicago is frequent, extensive, reliable and cheap.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                Participant

Not sure of the level of support they can give, but the MRF does have oncology social workers that you can speak with.

Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF), in partnership with CancerCare, is pleased to announce a free telephone helpline to assist melanoma patients and their loved ones. Funded by the MRF and staffed by CancerCare's professional oncology social workers, the helpline provides counseling and practical help to anyone facing a melanoma diagnosis.

To reach the helpline, please call 1-877-MRF-6460 (1-877-673-6460)  Monday through Thursday, from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Eastern Time.

Also, it's 48 bucks roundtrip on Amtrak per person ST. Louis/Chicago  with daily service it's about a five hour comfy ride and rail points add up quickly.  Public transit while in Chicago is frequent, extensive, reliable and cheap.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                  Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                    Participant

Maybe another resoource for lodging

http://www.gildasclubchicago.org/contact_us.html

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                      Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                        Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

Tiko
                          Participant

It is difficult.  My mom is traveling from Florida to Texas once a month and it is expensive.  Try calling around hotels by the hospital see if they can give you a better rate (advise them you are coming there for cancer treatements).  That's awfully high for parking.  We stay at the Crowne Plaza in Houston for 60 dollars and 4 dollars a day parking.  Usually we take a shuttle from hotel so we don't have a car.  The hotel shuttle takes us to the hospital and picks us up.  Air fare is our biggist financial burden. 

Tiko
                            Participant

It is difficult.  My mom is traveling from Florida to Texas once a month and it is expensive.  Try calling around hotels by the hospital see if they can give you a better rate (advise them you are coming there for cancer treatements).  That's awfully high for parking.  We stay at the Crowne Plaza in Houston for 60 dollars and 4 dollars a day parking.  Usually we take a shuttle from hotel so we don't have a car.  The hotel shuttle takes us to the hospital and picks us up.  Air fare is our biggist financial burden. 

Tiko
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics