The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How soon can pigment regrowth be seen after excision?

Forums General Melanoma Community How soon can pigment regrowth be seen after excision?

Participant

Here is the series of events….

-Biopsy  early April

-Full excision end of April (diagnosed stage 1A)

-Progressively, in this last week, brown pigmentation is showing up right through the excision scar….it is not normal scar tissue, it's the same shade as the brown color their originally removed, and its exactly where it was before ……….. The

-WLE scheduled for the end of this month

Here is the series of events….

-Biopsy  early April

-Full excision end of April (diagnosed stage 1A)

-Progressively, in this last week, brown pigmentation is showing up right through the excision scar….it is not normal scar tissue, it's the same shade as the brown color their originally removed, and its exactly where it was before ……….. The

-WLE scheduled for the end of this month

Is it possible that in the last month, (and since the margins from the last excision were NOT clean) that it is still growing, maybe even at a faster rate now that they've messed with it so much? Im wondering why they didnt go right from the biopsy to the WLE, but they DID remove ALL the visible pigmentation will the full excision, and now I can see it again….

Thoughts?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

when you say " the margins from the last excision were NOT clean" do you mean the biopsy or the WLE?

my scar went through a lot of changes, color changes, etc….I always would think every color change in the scar was some sort of recurrence. It wasn't, it was just the scar changing a lot. Doctor said recurrence would not be that fast. I actually had a biopsy done on an area of the scar that was colored darker, but turned out to be ruptured hair follicle.

Good luck, any concerns get checked out by your Dr

KnowThyself
            Participant

After the biopsy, but before the WLE… it was just a "full excision", not  wide….was only to get all visible pigment, since the biopsy sample wasn't enough to get a diagnosis…..the full excision is what gave us the diagnosis, now awaiting a WLE for the remainder with margins… I suppose they'll be able to tell after the WLE, if it was regrowth….

KnowThyself
              Participant

After the biopsy, but before the WLE… it was just a "full excision", not  wide….was only to get all visible pigment, since the biopsy sample wasn't enough to get a diagnosis…..the full excision is what gave us the diagnosis, now awaiting a WLE for the remainder with margins… I suppose they'll be able to tell after the WLE, if it was regrowth….

KnowThyself
                Participant

JC
                Participant

when you say " the margins from the last excision were NOT clean" do you mean the biopsy or the WLE?

my scar went through a lot of changes, color changes, etc….I always would think every color change in the scar was some sort of recurrence. It wasn't, it was just the scar changing a lot. Doctor said recurrence would not be that fast. I actually had a biopsy done on an area of the scar that was colored darker, but turned out to be ruptured hair follicle.

JC
                  Participant

SoCalDave
                    Participant

Mine did recur right on the scar, but took about 2 months before I could see it. I've had about 30 local recurrences right along the original spot (calf) and surrounding area.

Get it checked!

Dream123
                        Participant

30?! worried about regrowth of mine (stage 1A) with a wide excision on my shin..

Would be great to get an update from you?

SoCalDave
                        Participant

Mine did recur right on the scar, but took about 2 months before I could see it. I've had about 30 local recurrences right along the original spot (calf) and surrounding area.

Get it checked!

SoCalDave
                          Participant

Get it checked!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics