The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How sick is too sick for Yervoy?

Forums General Melanoma Community How sick is too sick for Yervoy?

Participant

Does anyone have any idea of what the status has to be in order  to receive Yervoy?  When is it too late?

Does anyone have any idea of what the status has to be in order  to receive Yervoy?  When is it too late?

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

A suggestion for you, if you think it is too late… possibly it is?  It is hard to answer your question without knowing where you are now and where have you been?  Where is the melanoma and what prior treatments (drugs) have been tried? Have you been involved in any prior trials?  Ippi is getting alot of attention now but remember that it is only helping 1 in 6 patients! Also time may be a problem as ippi can take time to show results.

Below is info that I posted to a different thread that may be of interest to you if you are really a late stage patient.

It seems that PLX4032 is helping melanoma patients if nothing else to buy a little extra time to figure out their next

avenue to beat this disease.

Have you heard about PLX4032?

It is a drug that show quick response, but not long term results (yet anyway).

What you need is time right now, so do check it out.

see:

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110106005659/en/Plexxikon-Signs-Agreement-Genentech-Co-Promote-PLX4032

———————————————————————————————————————-

Apart from surgical treatments, there are few therapies available for

melanoma that provide safe, reliable outcomes. According to Dr.

Weinstock, however, various threads of research shed light on the

possibility of promising agents in the future. “As we understand

more the mechanisms by which melanomas develop and grow,

agents will likely be produced that can address these specific mechanisms,”

he notes.

Two agents have generated particular interest. The first is an investigational

molecule currently known as RH7204 (PLX4032,

Genentech) that is designed to selectively inhibit a cancer-causing,

mutated form of the BRAF protein found in roughly half of metastatic

melanomas. In a recent study presented at the seventh

International Melanoma Research Congress of the Society for

Melanoma Research, people who participated in the trial lived a

median of 6.2 months without their disease getting worse (median

progression-free survival or PFS), which is significantly higher than

the typical two month progression-free survival for these patients.

The second agent, known as PV-10 (Provectus), yielded an objective

response (OR) in 49 percent of patients in a recent phase 2

trial, with 71 percent of patients achieving locoregional disease

control (stable disease or better) in their injected lesions. A mean

Progression Free Survival (PFS) of 11.7 months was observed among

subjects achieving an OR. These results were also presented at the

International Melanoma Research Congress in Sydney.

Also recently, the FDA has extended its review of ipilimumab

(Bristol-Myers Squibb) for the treatment of advanced melanoma.

The original target date for decision has been pushed back to March

26, 2011 so that the FDA can review new data about the drug’s use in

pre-treated melanoma patients. Trial results published earlier this

year showed average patient survival time was 10 months with ipilimumab

versus just over six months for patients using traditional

therapies.

——————————————————————————–

complete article at

http://bmctoday.net/practicaldermatology/pdfs/PD1210%20Skin%20Cancer%20Fea.pdf

Best Wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
          Participant

A suggestion for you, if you think it is too late… possibly it is?  It is hard to answer your question without knowing where you are now and where have you been?  Where is the melanoma and what prior treatments (drugs) have been tried? Have you been involved in any prior trials?  Ippi is getting alot of attention now but remember that it is only helping 1 in 6 patients! Also time may be a problem as ippi can take time to show results.

Below is info that I posted to a different thread that may be of interest to you if you are really a late stage patient.

It seems that PLX4032 is helping melanoma patients if nothing else to buy a little extra time to figure out their next

avenue to beat this disease.

Have you heard about PLX4032?

It is a drug that show quick response, but not long term results (yet anyway).

What you need is time right now, so do check it out.

see:

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110106005659/en/Plexxikon-Signs-Agreement-Genentech-Co-Promote-PLX4032

———————————————————————————————————————-

Apart from surgical treatments, there are few therapies available for

melanoma that provide safe, reliable outcomes. According to Dr.

Weinstock, however, various threads of research shed light on the

possibility of promising agents in the future. “As we understand

more the mechanisms by which melanomas develop and grow,

agents will likely be produced that can address these specific mechanisms,”

he notes.

Two agents have generated particular interest. The first is an investigational

molecule currently known as RH7204 (PLX4032,

Genentech) that is designed to selectively inhibit a cancer-causing,

mutated form of the BRAF protein found in roughly half of metastatic

melanomas. In a recent study presented at the seventh

International Melanoma Research Congress of the Society for

Melanoma Research, people who participated in the trial lived a

median of 6.2 months without their disease getting worse (median

progression-free survival or PFS), which is significantly higher than

the typical two month progression-free survival for these patients.

The second agent, known as PV-10 (Provectus), yielded an objective

response (OR) in 49 percent of patients in a recent phase 2

trial, with 71 percent of patients achieving locoregional disease

control (stable disease or better) in their injected lesions. A mean

Progression Free Survival (PFS) of 11.7 months was observed among

subjects achieving an OR. These results were also presented at the

International Melanoma Research Congress in Sydney.

Also recently, the FDA has extended its review of ipilimumab

(Bristol-Myers Squibb) for the treatment of advanced melanoma.

The original target date for decision has been pushed back to March

26, 2011 so that the FDA can review new data about the drug’s use in

pre-treated melanoma patients. Trial results published earlier this

year showed average patient survival time was 10 months with ipilimumab

versus just over six months for patients using traditional

therapies.

——————————————————————————–

complete article at

http://bmctoday.net/practicaldermatology/pdfs/PD1210%20Skin%20Cancer%20Fea.pdf

Best Wishes,

Gene

mimi0201
            Participant

My husband progressed to Stage IV 15 months ago.  He took part in the Oncovex trial for 9 months.  Then 2 rounds of IL-2, then out to NIH for a TIL harvest, but was dismissed when we returned for infusion, due to left axilla tumor opening up.  He has now had 2 rounds of carbo/taxol, radiation, and the axilla tumor is again opening up.  He is pretty weak but still wants to receive Yervoy.  We're headed down to Rush to consult with our oncology group there today.  He understands the toxicity and length of response time but still wants to go for it.  Hopsice is all lined up waiting. 

mimi0201
                Participant

(He's B-raf negative.)

Gene_S
                  Participant

See: http://therapy.collabrx.com/

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                    Participant

See: http://therapy.collabrx.com/

Best wishes,

Gene

mimi0201
                      Participant

(He's B-raf negative.)

Lori C
                        Participant

Mimi, just wondering who you are seeing at Rush.  Will saw Dr. Kaufman and his associate and they were very good. 

Lori

Vermont_Donna
                          Participant

Mimi,

I did four infusions of Ipi from December 2010 to February 2011. I started having a response that was visible after the second dose and after the four dose my cutaneous and sub q's were entirely gone from my right leg (the olny place I have had melanoma). I had really very minimal side effects…some increased fatigue and some nausea, and at one point a non itchy rash that lasted for about a month. I know there are side effects that can occur months or even years after the treatment. It is doable for sure. How sick does your husband feel at this point? Is he working? I apologize if all that is in your patnet.

I wish your husband success with this treatment!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

ps the tumors got bigger, more inflamed and then reabsorbed on Ipi

Vermont_Donna
                            Participant

Mimi,

I did four infusions of Ipi from December 2010 to February 2011. I started having a response that was visible after the second dose and after the four dose my cutaneous and sub q's were entirely gone from my right leg (the olny place I have had melanoma). I had really very minimal side effects…some increased fatigue and some nausea, and at one point a non itchy rash that lasted for about a month. I know there are side effects that can occur months or even years after the treatment. It is doable for sure. How sick does your husband feel at this point? Is he working? I apologize if all that is in your patnet.

I wish your husband success with this treatment!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

ps the tumors got bigger, more inflamed and then reabsorbed on Ipi

Lori C
                              Participant

Mimi, just wondering who you are seeing at Rush.  Will saw Dr. Kaufman and his associate and they were very good. 

Lori

mimi0201
                              Participant

My husband progressed to Stage IV 15 months ago.  He took part in the Oncovex trial for 9 months.  Then 2 rounds of IL-2, then out to NIH for a TIL harvest, but was dismissed when we returned for infusion, due to left axilla tumor opening up.  He has now had 2 rounds of carbo/taxol, radiation, and the axilla tumor is again opening up.  He is pretty weak but still wants to receive Yervoy.  We're headed down to Rush to consult with our oncology group there today.  He understands the toxicity and length of response time but still wants to go for it.  Hopsice is all lined up waiting. 

Cate
                                Participant

Hi, my dad received only 2 infusions of IPI and it held his cancer at bay for almost 2 years. Also treated in Chicago, only at Loyola.  Rush is a great place too.

Cate
                                  Participant

Hi, my dad received only 2 infusions of IPI and it held his cancer at bay for almost 2 years. Also treated in Chicago, only at Loyola.  Rush is a great place too.

mimi0201
                                    Participant

Decison made, he would not survive Yervoy.  Hospice has been engaged and right now he's pain free and enjoying a nap at home in the sunshine with a cat on his lap.  Man this sucks………

mimi0201
                                        Participant

Lori;  We've been seeing Kaufman and Batus for 14 months, tears all around today saying goodbye to the great team.  Their job must be so tough.

mimi0201
                                          Participant

Lori;  We've been seeing Kaufman and Batus for 14 months, tears all around today saying goodbye to the great team.  Their job must be so tough.

mimi0201
                                          Participant

Decison made, he would not survive Yervoy.  Hospice has been engaged and right now he's pain free and enjoying a nap at home in the sunshine with a cat on his lap.  Man this sucks………

nicoli
                                            Participant

I am so sorry. Please do not give up HOPE, where there is life there is HOPE.

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

nicoli
                                              Participant

I am so sorry. Please do not give up HOPE, where there is life there is HOPE.

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics