The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How many times can nodular melanoma come back?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community How many times can nodular melanoma come back?

Participant
      I am curious just how many times nodular melanoma can keep coming back. I was diagnosed originally in February 2012 with stage IIIB. It quickly changed and to date I have had it come back in new locations, but all on the same side of my body, 9 times. I recently had another positive biopsy I am scheduled for a pet scan in 10 days. I have been on multiple chemo drugs which did not work out and the tafinlar and mekinist were to toxic for me. I have been on Keytruda for the last 2 years but they are considering trying something else since I keep getting positive recurrences. I am thankful I’m still doing pretty good but all these surgeries are leaving me with so much scar tissue that is uncomfortable. A small price to pay for keeping me alive I suppose. The doctors keep telling me that they hope this is the last time but I’m beginning to think that 9 years and 9 surgeries may just be my new normal. Has anyone else had this many positive recurrences? The doctors do believe the Keytruda is keeping it from spreading to my organs and slowing it down but it just doesn’t seem to go away. I am just curious if anyone else has gone through this so many times.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        ThinkingPositive
        Participant
          Hi Pknight,

There is a poster on this board that said he had numerous primary lesions.  What stage were all your other lesions? Maybe Keytruda is keeping melanoma from spreading to your organs, however, I don’t know how Keytruda can prevent a stage 0, 1 or 2 if the lesion has not become invasive.

Cindy

harry burinot
          Participant
            I have nodular melanoma and I am a stage 1b as well. I’ve also wondered if there is a better chance of recurrence with nodular melanoma. I look forward to hearing from Cindy or another expert here regarding your question.
            maryb-z
            Participant
              Hi!

Nodular melanoma diagnosis 2009 with at least 8 recurrences-I lost count. I completed 2 years Opdivo October 2020. My November scan showed no active disease but I have learned how sneaky melanoma can be. No organ involvement just all over my right leg.  Just stay vigilant. Grateful for all my BONUS time.

Bubbles
              Participant
                Hey Pknight,

Sorry for what you are dealing with.  Like others, I am really glad that you have been able to note and remove your lesions ASAP!!!  I should think the Keytruda is helping (though I’m sure at times it doesn’t feel like it!!!).  I recently put up this article that has a section on nodular melanoma that may interest you – though it is not really something you don’t already know – http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2021/02/strategies-for-treating-melanoma.html

For what it’s worth.  I wish you well.  Celeste

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics