The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How many people do you know whose invasive melanoma started as melanoma in situ- or stage 0?

Forums General Melanoma Community How many people do you know whose invasive melanoma started as melanoma in situ- or stage 0?

Participant

I am asking because I recently had a large melanoma in situ removed. I am more than usually concerned because I lost my brother in February to Melanoma. I know the statistics say that the "cure" for melanoma stage 0 is surgical removal, but Im wondering what the odds are of it coming back, with my family history?

I am asking because I recently had a large melanoma in situ removed. I am more than usually concerned because I lost my brother in February to Melanoma. I know the statistics say that the "cure" for melanoma stage 0 is surgical removal, but Im wondering what the odds are of it coming back, with my family history?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Your family history has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not an in situ lesion will come back.  The MARGINS on the lesion have everything to do with it.  I'm sorry your brother died of melanoma, but that has no impact on your prognosis whatsoever.  There are some instances of people who have had in situ melanoma who progress.  However, it is not always certain that the in situ lesion is the source.  It is possible that their lesion wasn't read right in pathology or they had another primary that went unnoticed.  The odds are certainly less than 1%.  You caught your lesion early.  You know to be aware of your body.  Your prognosis is about as good as it can be given a cancer diagnosis.  Don't spend time worrying about that in situ lesion…. or you let melanoma win.  Just be vigilant, not paranoid.  Have a second opinion on your pathology report if that will give you peace of mind.

Best wishes,

Janner

jnaakins
            Participant

Thank you for responding. I guess Im just going to have to be vigilant about skin checks and hope that the dr got it all- he did feel confident that he did, and he said he cauterized the margins really well so that was (he felt) extra insurance.

I guess Im just wondering if there are very many people who do have recurrences, or other tumors show up after having one that was caught this early? I mean, is this something that's common? It doesnt sound like it, so that brings me some comfort. I can't imagine having my family lose another member to this horrible disease. I try not to be paranoid, or spend unnessecary time worrying. But having seen my brother lose his battle- it's always in the back of my mind. He didnt catch his early though, by the time he went in to have his mole checked, it was already stage 3b.

Janner
              Participant

In the US, the 10 year survival rate for melanoma in situ is shown at 100%.  It's not a guarantee, but it's pretty close.  That's why I said <1%.  I won't say it couldn't happen, but it would be like winning the lottery.  Have you done that lately???  You can ask for a copy of the pathology report to see the margins for yourself.  Watch your scar area for any pigment regrowth.  If you have any, go to your doc.  It doesn't have to be melanoma (I have many freckles in my scars), but it pays to check that out for sure.  I have had 3 melanoma – my in situ was removed in 2000.  All I have to show for that one is a scar.

Janner

ChristineL
                Participant

Janner-

The majority of links on the melanomaresources do not work.  Do you know when this site was last updated?

Thanks!

ChristineL
                  Participant

Janner-

The majority of links on the melanomaresources do not work.  Do you know when this site was last updated?

Thanks!

Janner
                    Participant

The links were checked a couple of months ago.  I'll have to look at them again.

jag
                      Participant

Janner, 

I second what anony stated.  Links to MPIP don't work.  Looks like the powers that be didn't take into account your links when updating this site.  GRRRRRRRRR.   You should demand a refund!, or have the MPIP tech geeks do it for you.

Janner
                        Participant

Guess I may have to either find the links in the "new" archives, or come up with an alternative.  It's on my list of billions of things to do.

Janner

Janner
                          Participant

Thanks for the key to the different domains – saves me time and energy of figuring it out myself.  That will also make the correction much easier than doing an individual search on the posts.

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

Thanks for the key to the different domains – saves me time and energy of figuring it out myself.  That will also make the correction much easier than doing an individual search on the posts.

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Guess I may have to either find the links in the "new" archives, or come up with an alternative.  It's on my list of billions of things to do.

Janner

jag
                                Participant

Janner, 

I second what anony stated.  Links to MPIP don't work.  Looks like the powers that be didn't take into account your links when updating this site.  GRRRRRRRRR.   You should demand a refund!, or have the MPIP tech geeks do it for you.

Janner
                                  Participant

The links were checked a couple of months ago.  I'll have to look at them again.

Janner
                                    Participant

In the US, the 10 year survival rate for melanoma in situ is shown at 100%.  It's not a guarantee, but it's pretty close.  That's why I said <1%.  I won't say it couldn't happen, but it would be like winning the lottery.  Have you done that lately???  You can ask for a copy of the pathology report to see the margins for yourself.  Watch your scar area for any pigment regrowth.  If you have any, go to your doc.  It doesn't have to be melanoma (I have many freckles in my scars), but it pays to check that out for sure.  I have had 3 melanoma – my in situ was removed in 2000.  All I have to show for that one is a scar.

Janner

jnaakins
                                      Participant

Thank you for responding. I guess Im just going to have to be vigilant about skin checks and hope that the dr got it all- he did feel confident that he did, and he said he cauterized the margins really well so that was (he felt) extra insurance.

I guess Im just wondering if there are very many people who do have recurrences, or other tumors show up after having one that was caught this early? I mean, is this something that's common? It doesnt sound like it, so that brings me some comfort. I can't imagine having my family lose another member to this horrible disease. I try not to be paranoid, or spend unnessecary time worrying. But having seen my brother lose his battle- it's always in the back of my mind. He didnt catch his early though, by the time he went in to have his mole checked, it was already stage 3b.

Janner
                                      Participant

Your family history has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not an in situ lesion will come back.  The MARGINS on the lesion have everything to do with it.  I'm sorry your brother died of melanoma, but that has no impact on your prognosis whatsoever.  There are some instances of people who have had in situ melanoma who progress.  However, it is not always certain that the in situ lesion is the source.  It is possible that their lesion wasn't read right in pathology or they had another primary that went unnoticed.  The odds are certainly less than 1%.  You caught your lesion early.  You know to be aware of your body.  Your prognosis is about as good as it can be given a cancer diagnosis.  Don't spend time worrying about that in situ lesion…. or you let melanoma win.  Just be vigilant, not paranoid.  Have a second opinion on your pathology report if that will give you peace of mind.

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 1 reply thread
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics