The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How long will full recovery of surgery take?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community How long will full recovery of surgery take?

Participant

I recently had a wide excision on my ankle.  It is exactly where the top of my foot meets my leg, right where it bends with every step.  Before surgery the doctor said I may need crutches for a couple days.  It's healing "beautifully" according to the surgeon, but as you all know…beautiful is not the word I would use.  She now says continue to use the crutches and keep elevated as much as possible.  It's very painful and I don't see any time in the near future where I will be wanting to put pressure or a walking motion in that area.  Has

I recently had a wide excision on my ankle.  It is exactly where the top of my foot meets my leg, right where it bends with every step.  Before surgery the doctor said I may need crutches for a couple days.  It's healing "beautifully" according to the surgeon, but as you all know…beautiful is not the word I would use.  She now says continue to use the crutches and keep elevated as much as possible.  It's very painful and I don't see any time in the near future where I will be wanting to put pressure or a walking motion in that area.  Has anyone out there had this done in this area and if so…how long does it take before the skin can handle weight and motion???  Good news is that the cancer did not get into the lymph nodes, so I will focus on that, BUT…I do have my moments of sadness as I realize my normal activities will be changes for quite a while.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

I am very sorry to read that you're hurting but am overjoyed to hear that your lymph node were clean! YAY!!!

My surgery didn't take place on my foot but I do know that surgeries take time to heal.

A friend of mine has a really good saying to the effect of "everything takes as long as it takes". You need to measure your progress in baby steps. For example, if yesterday you could walk two steps and not feel pain and today you could take four steps and not feel pain, that's progress. If your doc prescribed pain meds for you, take them. Use your crutches as long as necessary. Above all, don't do too much too soon. By Memorial Day you should see a major improvement. Hang in there. smiley You will be able to resume your normal activities.

Linny
          Participant

I am very sorry to read that you're hurting but am overjoyed to hear that your lymph node were clean! YAY!!!

My surgery didn't take place on my foot but I do know that surgeries take time to heal.

A friend of mine has a really good saying to the effect of "everything takes as long as it takes". You need to measure your progress in baby steps. For example, if yesterday you could walk two steps and not feel pain and today you could take four steps and not feel pain, that's progress. If your doc prescribed pain meds for you, take them. Use your crutches as long as necessary. Above all, don't do too much too soon. By Memorial Day you should see a major improvement. Hang in there. smiley You will be able to resume your normal activities.

Linny
            Participant

H555
              Participant

I've never had my ankle worked on but I've had 5 other surgeries (mildest was cleanup of my shoulder) 3 big ones were abdominal exploration, prostatectomy and last summer Lymph node dissection – 17 of them. The older i've gotten the longer they take. Do exactly what your docs tell you, eat well, rest often and let people help you is what I've learned. a few times it was 6 to 9 months before I really felt normal again. far less than that to resume my normal routine.

H555
                Participant

I've never had my ankle worked on but I've had 5 other surgeries (mildest was cleanup of my shoulder) 3 big ones were abdominal exploration, prostatectomy and last summer Lymph node dissection – 17 of them. The older i've gotten the longer they take. Do exactly what your docs tell you, eat well, rest often and let people help you is what I've learned. a few times it was 6 to 9 months before I really felt normal again. far less than that to resume my normal routine.

H555
                  Participant

I’ve never had surgery there, either, but had a met removed from the outside lobe of my left lung in 2010 and 4 large ones from my intestine this past march. Surprisingly, the ribs on my left side still ache, while the abdominal surgery, while substantially more complex, I recuperated from rather quickly. Stay focused on the fact that it wasn’t in your lymph nodes! It’s frustrating to be “held back” , but definitely, take your meds and follow doctor orders. I’m certain my ribs hurt because I did too much too soon (christmastime and SOMEBODY had to get it done LOL!!!) best of luck!!!
                    I’ve never had surgery there, either, but had a met removed from the outside lobe of my left lung in 2010 and 4 large ones from my intestine this past march. Surprisingly, the ribs on my left side still ache, while the abdominal surgery, while substantially more complex, I recuperated from rather quickly. Stay focused on the fact that it wasn’t in your lymph nodes! It’s frustrating to be “held back” , but definitely, take your meds and follow doctor orders. I’m certain my ribs hurt because I did too much too soon (christmastime and SOMEBODY had to get it done LOL!!!) best of luck!!!
                    BeachBabe
                    Participant

I had a melanoma-in-situ taken off my lower right calf through wide-excision surgery. It took 60 stitches, was on crutches the first week to move around house. Had to raise legs above heart for week when sitting and laying to keep swelling down. Was out of work 5 weeks mostly because my job as a law enforcement officer requires alot of walking and driving where my leg was being used. It has been 8 months and my leg is healing well but still aches at end of day after walking on it. I was told by my surgeon that because I stayed off my leg and kept it elevated my healing went better than alot of others who went right back to work or walked on it right after surgery so I am glad I gave it time to heal properly.

Every day is closer to total healing. Take the time you need and follow the doctor's advice. I know when I was in the waiting room for my first follow up appt there were several others in the waiting room commenting that my foot wasn't as swollen as theirs and it was because I had stayed off it for a week and kept it elevated.

Health and Blessings

BeachBabe
                      Participant

I had a melanoma-in-situ taken off my lower right calf through wide-excision surgery. It took 60 stitches, was on crutches the first week to move around house. Had to raise legs above heart for week when sitting and laying to keep swelling down. Was out of work 5 weeks mostly because my job as a law enforcement officer requires alot of walking and driving where my leg was being used. It has been 8 months and my leg is healing well but still aches at end of day after walking on it. I was told by my surgeon that because I stayed off my leg and kept it elevated my healing went better than alot of others who went right back to work or walked on it right after surgery so I am glad I gave it time to heal properly.

Every day is closer to total healing. Take the time you need and follow the doctor's advice. I know when I was in the waiting room for my first follow up appt there were several others in the waiting room commenting that my foot wasn't as swollen as theirs and it was because I had stayed off it for a week and kept it elevated.

Health and Blessings

BeachBabe
                        Participant

Health and Blessings

Viewing 11 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics