The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How long does WBR “fog” and confusion last ?

Forums Caregiver Community How long does WBR “fog” and confusion last ?

Participant

A good friend is having WBR and temodar for recurrent brain mets following Novalis and craniotomy in November.  He's completely exhausted and very confused – having a hard time remembering what took place even an hour earlier.   Scary for him and so hard for his wife and caregivers.  Can anyone give an idea of how long that lasts for ?  The confusion has been sudden so seems WBR related.  Does it stop when the WBR does ?  Does it get better after a week or two ?  Any tips for caregivers welcome also. 

AlisonC

A good friend is having WBR and temodar for recurrent brain mets following Novalis and craniotomy in November.  He's completely exhausted and very confused – having a hard time remembering what took place even an hour earlier.   Scary for him and so hard for his wife and caregivers.  Can anyone give an idea of how long that lasts for ?  The confusion has been sudden so seems WBR related.  Does it stop when the WBR does ?  Does it get better after a week or two ?  Any tips for caregivers welcome also. 

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001  

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          You are looking for assurances that are hard to give. Every case is so different and individual, how many brain tumors does your friend have, what size are they, is he on steroids, was he acting confused prior to WBR. My husband completed WBR in November and did well. His only obvious symptoms were tiredness, that improved in time and hair loss. My husband was never confused or forgetful due to WBR. Phil also takes temodar as part of his biochemo. I would be asking your friend’s doctors the extent of his brain mets, and what they think is causing his confusion. Best of luck to his family, brain mets are scary, but sometimes there is light at the end of the tunnel. God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
            AlisonC
            Participant

thanks Valerie – I saw your encouraging posts a few days back too.  The newly found mets (last week) are 3 small (<1mm) points plus possible residual activity in the beds of the 3 that were resected/SRS-ed in November.  it was a surveillance scan, not one done due to deterioration – the effects pretty much started the day after the WBR began, which is why we think it's related to th WBR –  since there's no evidence of extensive involvement that would account for this level of confusion otherwise.  He's on temodar as well.  I know from reading this board for the last few years that a lot of people have had cognitive impact from WBR so I'm hoping the response is transient (edema etc).  I don't know if he's back on steroids but he had a brutal time with them over Christmas following the last treatments so maybe he just is someone who gets really thrashed by treatments. Until this recurrence last week he was on zelboraf.  Thanks again for your input and great to hear Phil is doing so well ! 

Alison 

DonW
              Participant

Hi, Alison. I remember we chatted years ago. I'm glad you are doing well. I thought I would mention that my understanding of WBR related dementia is that it's long term, not something that happens while undergoing the treatment. It seems more likely to me that his memory problems are caused by the tumors themselves or the other drugs and treatments he is on.

AlisonC
                Participant

Hi Don – thanks for remembering me ! Yes – all going well for me so far, but having a friend progress to stage IV is a sobering reminder of "there but for the grace of god go I…"

That's disappointing news that it could be longer term.  It's been so sudden and doesn't seem at all related to the tumour burden (which is relatively small in mel terms although of course any burden is too much). I will keep hoping that – like the steroids – he has a bounce-back once they stop this treatment phase….

Thanks for your post

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

AlisonC
                  Participant

Hi Don – thanks for remembering me ! Yes – all going well for me so far, but having a friend progress to stage IV is a sobering reminder of "there but for the grace of god go I…"

That's disappointing news that it could be longer term.  It's been so sudden and doesn't seem at all related to the tumour burden (which is relatively small in mel terms although of course any burden is too much). I will keep hoping that – like the steroids – he has a bounce-back once they stop this treatment phase….

Thanks for your post

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

AlisonC
                    Participant

Thanks for your post

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

DonW
                      Participant

Hi, Alison. I remember we chatted years ago. I'm glad you are doing well. I thought I would mention that my understanding of WBR related dementia is that it's long term, not something that happens while undergoing the treatment. It seems more likely to me that his memory problems are caused by the tumors themselves or the other drugs and treatments he is on.

DonW
                        Participant

AlisonC
                          Participant

thanks Valerie – I saw your encouraging posts a few days back too.  The newly found mets (last week) are 3 small (<1mm) points plus possible residual activity in the beds of the 3 that were resected/SRS-ed in November.  it was a surveillance scan, not one done due to deterioration – the effects pretty much started the day after the WBR began, which is why we think it's related to th WBR –  since there's no evidence of extensive involvement that would account for this level of confusion otherwise.  He's on temodar as well.  I know from reading this board for the last few years that a lot of people have had cognitive impact from WBR so I'm hoping the response is transient (edema etc).  I don't know if he's back on steroids but he had a brutal time with them over Christmas following the last treatments so maybe he just is someone who gets really thrashed by treatments. Until this recurrence last week he was on zelboraf.  Thanks again for your input and great to hear Phil is doing so well ! 

Alison 

AlisonC
                            Participant

Alison 

Phil S
                            Participant
                              You are looking for assurances that are hard to give. Every case is so different and individual, how many brain tumors does your friend have, what size are they, is he on steroids, was he acting confused prior to WBR. My husband completed WBR in November and did well. His only obvious symptoms were tiredness, that improved in time and hair loss. My husband was never confused or forgetful due to WBR. Phil also takes temodar as part of his biochemo. I would be asking your friend’s doctors the extent of his brain mets, and what they think is causing his confusion. Best of luck to his family, brain mets are scary, but sometimes there is light at the end of the tunnel. God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                              Phil S
                              Participant
                            Viewing 2 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics