The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How long does Keytruda treatment last?

Forums General Melanoma Community How long does Keytruda treatment last?

Participant
      I would like to know how long Keytruda treatment last. Hoping somebody on this board have experience with the treatment.
      Good luck to all of you!
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

I could be wrong (I'm not a molecular biologist) but it's my understanding that the changes it makes to your immune system last forever.  I've heard immunotherapy treatment likened to getting a software update for your immune system.  Of course Mel is always a moving target, and so it's possible for Mel to sneak out from under your immune system and pop up again if it doesn't get it all.  This is my understanding, anyway.

Now I'm off for my second dose of Pembro this afternoon!

Shalom!

Julie

Julie in SoCal
          Participant

I could be wrong (I'm not a molecular biologist) but it's my understanding that the changes it makes to your immune system last forever.  I've heard immunotherapy treatment likened to getting a software update for your immune system.  Of course Mel is always a moving target, and so it's possible for Mel to sneak out from under your immune system and pop up again if it doesn't get it all.  This is my understanding, anyway.

Shalom!

Julie

Julie in SoCal
            Participant

Shalom!

Julie

liberty04281
                Participant
                  Thank you for your answer, and good luck.
                  liberty04281
                  Participant
                    liberty04281
                    Participant
                    ed williams
                    Participant

Hi Anonymous, since the two drugs Keytruda and Nivolumab ( can't remember new name for it) are both fairly new on the scene the long term survival graphs from the various clinical trials are still works in progress. Which is a good thing!!!! When people respond to Pd-1 they tend to keep responding as a general rule. I am 15 months into a BMS double blind study of Ipi and Nivolumab either as a single agent or combined, and I am hoping that the graph shows a long, long X- axis for years still kicking. Wishing you the best! Ed

ed williams
                      Participant

Hi Anonymous, since the two drugs Keytruda and Nivolumab ( can't remember new name for it) are both fairly new on the scene the long term survival graphs from the various clinical trials are still works in progress. Which is a good thing!!!! When people respond to Pd-1 they tend to keep responding as a general rule. I am 15 months into a BMS double blind study of Ipi and Nivolumab either as a single agent or combined, and I am hoping that the graph shows a long, long X- axis for years still kicking. Wishing you the best! Ed

liberty04281
                          Participant
                            Thank you very much, wish you all the best. I will not be anonymous this time
                            liberty04281
                            Participant
                              liberty04281
                              Participant
                              ed williams
                              Participant

sweetaugust
                                Participant

Excellent question…and one that all of us here are looking for the answer to.  It is something I ask myself everyday.  I only know that I've been on it for the last 2.5 years and I am still doing great.  The plan as of now is to just keep me on this for good…as long as I stay healthy. 

I have not tried any other drugs other than Keytruda and it has been working.  And we have talked about me coming off the trial and just seeing how I do…and then if the melanoma appears again…just getting me back on the Keytruda.  But, due to the new FDA approval and it's guidelines, I would be to fail the ipi to get to the Keytruda again.  So instead of doing that, we just decided it is best to keep me on Keytruda.  So I am still on the highest dose of 10mg every 3 weeks for 30 minutes.    Laurie

killmel
                                    Participant

Hi Laurie,

It is my understanding that if you are a "complete responder" and you decide to stop taking mk3475 on the trial, you can request Merck to put on on the "observation" status with the trial. You would then just have to have blood work & scans every 12 weeks so Merck can follow your progress.

If you were to then recur, then Merck will consider putting you back on trial & taking MK3475 again. However, no guarantees, but more than likely Merck would put you back on trial & then you would resume the same dosage 10 mg every 3 wks.

I would discuss this option with your doctor.I know of many people on "observation" status with this trial you are on. If you decide to discuss this option with your doctor,please post what your doctor has to say about "observation" option for your trial.

Good Luck

killmel
                                      Participant

Hi Laurie,

It is my understanding that if you are a "complete responder" and you decide to stop taking mk3475 on the trial, you can request Merck to put on on the "observation" status with the trial. You would then just have to have blood work & scans every 12 weeks so Merck can follow your progress.

If you were to then recur, then Merck will consider putting you back on trial & taking MK3475 again. However, no guarantees, but more than likely Merck would put you back on trial & then you would resume the same dosage 10 mg every 3 wks.

I would discuss this option with your doctor.I know of many people on "observation" status with this trial you are on. If you decide to discuss this option with your doctor,please post what your doctor has to say about "observation" option for your trial.

Good Luck

killmel
                                        Participant

Hi Laurie,

Good Luck

sweetaugust
                                          Participant

Yes!  I consider myself a complete responder.  But they consider me a partial responder…because my really bad node (the one that was the biggest and was the one that got me into the trial) will likely never go down to normal size due to the scar tissue on it from the core biopsy at the beginning of the trial and because it blew up and liquified when the drug won the battle.  A few months back they did add a paragraph to my trial contract saying that:

"Second Course Phase:

If you have a good response to the study drugs and stop receiving MK-3475, but then your disease begins to progress again you may be eligible to receive MK-3475 study drug.  Your study doctor will determine if you meet the study requirements for the Second Course treatment.  If you are eligible, you will restart treatment and will be retreated at the dose and dose frequency you received upon initial treatment with MK-3475." 

It doesn't actually offer a guarantee that I would be allowed back on the trial though.  So hence the reason at this time we are keeping me on the trial.  Since I am not having any side effects and I am doing so well.  He said lets not rock the boat now.  They are still ironing out all the FDA rules with failing ipi to get Keytruda.  He wants me to stay the course until more is known. 

But it is still a question I ask myself all the time….how much is too much and when would be the right time to stop the drug.  I WISH we knew the magic dose.

Thanks, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                            Participant

Yes!  I consider myself a complete responder.  But they consider me a partial responder…because my really bad node (the one that was the biggest and was the one that got me into the trial) will likely never go down to normal size due to the scar tissue on it from the core biopsy at the beginning of the trial and because it blew up and liquified when the drug won the battle.  A few months back they did add a paragraph to my trial contract saying that:

"Second Course Phase:

If you have a good response to the study drugs and stop receiving MK-3475, but then your disease begins to progress again you may be eligible to receive MK-3475 study drug.  Your study doctor will determine if you meet the study requirements for the Second Course treatment.  If you are eligible, you will restart treatment and will be retreated at the dose and dose frequency you received upon initial treatment with MK-3475." 

It doesn't actually offer a guarantee that I would be allowed back on the trial though.  So hence the reason at this time we are keeping me on the trial.  Since I am not having any side effects and I am doing so well.  He said lets not rock the boat now.  They are still ironing out all the FDA rules with failing ipi to get Keytruda.  He wants me to stay the course until more is known. 

But it is still a question I ask myself all the time….how much is too much and when would be the right time to stop the drug.  I WISH we knew the magic dose.

Thanks, Laurie

palmspringswalt
                                              Participant

I've had much the same experience as Laurie.

I've been on MK-3475 for slightly over 3 years at 10 mg/kg infused every 2 weeks.

I have NED but I have had side effects.  The most recent was autoimmune hepatitis which was reversed by stopping the infusions temporarily and doing high dose prednisone therapy.  I also have constant low grade fatigue.

My doctor has also suggested staying on MK-3475 till the durability picture is a bit clearer.  Also, if I drop out I would guess my insurance company would refuse to pay for Keytruda based on my experience with them.

For the present I've been able to stay in the trial and have decided to stay in the trial.  What happens in the future I don't know! 

palmspringswalt
                                                Participant

I've been on MK-3475 for slightly over 3 years at 10 mg/kg infused every 2 weeks.

I have NED but I have had side effects.  The most recent was autoimmune hepatitis which was reversed by stopping the infusions temporarily and doing high dose prednisone therapy.  I also have constant low grade fatigue.

My doctor has also suggested staying on MK-3475 till the durability picture is a bit clearer.  Also, if I drop out I would guess my insurance company would refuse to pay for Keytruda based on my experience with them.

For the present I've been able to stay in the trial and have decided to stay in the trial.  What happens in the future I don't know! 

palmspringswalt
                                                  Participant

sweetaugust
                                                    Participant

"Second Course Phase:

Thanks, Laurie

Rita and Charles
                                                      Participant

What have been your side effects? and are you still doing well on it?

Rita and Charles
                                                        Participant

Rita and Charles
                                                          Participant

sweetaugust
                                                          Participant

Excellent question…and one that all of us here are looking for the answer to.  It is something I ask myself everyday.  I only know that I've been on it for the last 2.5 years and I am still doing great.  The plan as of now is to just keep me on this for good…as long as I stay healthy. 

I have not tried any other drugs other than Keytruda and it has been working.  And we have talked about me coming off the trial and just seeing how I do…and then if the melanoma appears again…just getting me back on the Keytruda.  But, due to the new FDA approval and it's guidelines, I would be to fail the ipi to get to the Keytruda again.  So instead of doing that, we just decided it is best to keep me on Keytruda.  So I am still on the highest dose of 10mg every 3 weeks for 30 minutes.    Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                            Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics