The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How long did your biopsy results take??

Forums General Melanoma Community How long did your biopsy results take??

Participant
      Hi all,

I had a biopsy on Monday, and by today, I have decided if I haven’t heard anything, it’s nothing.

My mole was 7mm with two colours – black and brown – and what looked like a mole, within a mole, within a mole.

Presented total A-E, but I’ve been using reading some moles do present like melanoma, and they’re not.

A good chunk was taken, 9 stitches, or so.

What I’m interested in knowing, is how long did it take for you to be told it was melanoma. I’m thinking if I don’t hear, defo by tomorrow, it’s fine.

Thank you 🙂

Laura-lou

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Every lab is different therefore all biopsy result times are different. 

It took 2 weeks to hear back that it was melanoma for me. One week for one lab to examine, and then they sent it to another more sophisticated lab for a second opinion and reassurance that they've in fact seen melanoma. 

Certainly don't want to scare you, just be aware that the amount of time it takes to get results back is no indication that it is something or nothing.

I have also had other biopsies take a week, less than a week, and those were benign. Only had one positive biopsy and it took the longest. 

Keep that positive attitude you have though, you are very right that a lot of moles that are biopsied that look ominous, are in fact nothing. Odds are in your favor 🙂

jennunicorn
          Participant

It took 2 weeks to hear back that it was melanoma for me. One week for one lab to examine, and then they sent it to another more sophisticated lab for a second opinion and reassurance that they've in fact seen melanoma. 

Certainly don't want to scare you, just be aware that the amount of time it takes to get results back is no indication that it is something or nothing.

I have also had other biopsies take a week, less than a week, and those were benign. Only had one positive biopsy and it took the longest. 

Keep that positive attitude you have though, you are very right that a lot of moles that are biopsied that look ominous, are in fact nothing. Odds are in your favor 🙂

Laura-lou
              Participant
                Hi Jenn, it’s been two weeks tomorrow so I guess it was clear. I think I might call, but u can’t imagine if it was anything they’d leave it over two weeks, right? I hope your latest surgery went well?

Laura-lou
                Participant
                  Hi Jenn, it’s been two weeks tomorrow so I guess it was clear. I think I might call, but u can’t imagine if it was anything they’d leave it over two weeks, right? I hope your latest surgery went well?

Laura-lou
                  Participant

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Laura-lou
                    Participant
                      I would like to say also, apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

I’ve Googled biopsy result times, but generally it says if it is, you get a call within days, and if not, a few weeks.

Thank you.

Laura-lou

Laura-lou
                      Participant

I’ve Googled biopsy result times, but generally it says if it is, you get a call within days, and if not, a few weeks.

Thank you.

Laura-lou

Laura-lou
                        Participant

Thank you.

Laura-lou

Laura-lou
                          Participant
                            Ah, thanks Jenn!

I think that’s what I’m doing, keeping positive. If I’ve not heard, it’s nothing. 🙂

I’ve been ill with a lot else over the last 18 months, so to have stage 4 would make sense. But it was only small.

It’s crazy some people’s look normal and are not.

I would be interested to know what people’s looked like, also. I saw mime and thought, melanoma. But I also, as above, have seen a lot that look it and are not.

Let’s see… But thank you for letting me know it took 2 weeks. I like to be informed! 🙂

Sending you positive energy.

Laura-lou
                            Participant
                              Ah, thanks Jenn!

I think that’s what I’m doing, keeping positive. If I’ve not heard, it’s nothing. 🙂

I’ve been ill with a lot else over the last 18 months, so to have stage 4 would make sense. But it was only small.

I would be interested to know what people’s looked like, also. I saw mime and thought, melanoma. But I also, as above, have seen a lot that look it and are not.

Let’s see… But thank you for letting me know it took 2 weeks. I like to be informed! 🙂

Laura-lou
                              Participant
                                Ah, thanks Jenn!

greyhound
                                  Participant

Hi,

It took 2 weeks for me to hear about my first melanoma in situ and after looking at the lab report, I think it took them a little extra time because they had to verify some things with my derm and also get a seperate consulatation on the results.

My second melanoma in situ results came back in a week.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Gail

greyhound
                                    Participant

Hi,

It took 2 weeks for me to hear about my first melanoma in situ and after looking at the lab report, I think it took them a little extra time because they had to verify some things with my derm and also get a seperate consulatation on the results.

Gail

greyhound
                                      Participant

Hi,

Gail

Laura-lou
                                      Participant
                                        Thanks Gail.

I hope you’re doing well?

It may seem I am being slightly too hasty, but that’s because I was so convinced it was melanoma – and the derm having a good, frank, honest discussion with me – that I was convinced if it was it, it would come back by now.

I’ll wait another day before I bring out the poppers.

If it isn’t this, it means moving in to a trial for a chronic illness, so still lots to come, but ticking off.

Laura-lou
                                        Participant
                                          Thanks Gail.

It may seem I am being slightly too hasty, but that’s because I was so convinced it was melanoma – and the derm having a good, frank, honest discussion with me – that I was convinced if it was it, it would come back by now.

If it isn’t this, it means moving in to a trial for a chronic illness, so still lots to come, but ticking off.

btcedarr
                                            Participant

Both of my biopsies took almost 10 days. One was melanoma, one not. 

btcedarr
                                              Participant

btcedarr
                                                Participant

Laura-lou
                                                Participant
                                                  Thanks Gail.

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

My husbands took 2 weeks and it was positive for melanoma.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for over 4 years.)

Gene_S
                                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                                      Participant

Joycem
                                                        Participant

1 week for initial shave biopsy (I requested removal of a bump for cosmetic reasons, was not pigmented no suspicion at all) and 2 weeks after WLE. 

Joycem
                                                          Participant

1 week for initial shave biopsy (I requested removal of a bump for cosmetic reasons, was not pigmented no suspicion at all) and 2 weeks after WLE. 

Joycem
                                                            Participant

Laura-lou
                                                              Participant
                                                                Thank you so much for your replies. It’s much appreciated!

I’ve obviously gotten the whole, if it’s serious, you’ll hear in in day thing, wrong.

I think it may be my coping mechanism. I’ve decided it’s not it, so I no longer need to dwell.

Sending much happiness to you all.

Fingers crossed it’s not (although deep down it might be).

Bums, I’m much more productive when I think it’s going to be a negative result.

Laura-lou
                                                                Participant

I’ve obviously gotten the whole, if it’s serious, you’ll hear in in day thing, wrong.

I think it may be my coping mechanism. I’ve decided it’s not it, so I no longer need to dwell.

Laura-lou
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics