The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How important is mitotic index?

Forums General Melanoma Community How important is mitotic index?

Participant

Hello!

I've seen on other posts stating that some people are staged based on mitotic index. Just wondering how good a predictor of spread it is?

My husband's path report showed <1/mm2, which I'm assuming is good? Also, Breslow depth was 1mm and no ulceration. Still categorized as IIIb due to the small satellite lesion found in the biopsy. 

Just reaching for any hope!

Thanks again!

Brooke

Hello!

I've seen on other posts stating that some people are staged based on mitotic index. Just wondering how good a predictor of spread it is?

My husband's path report showed <1/mm2, which I'm assuming is good? Also, Breslow depth was 1mm and no ulceration. Still categorized as IIIb due to the small satellite lesion found in the biopsy. 

Just reaching for any hope!

Thanks again!

Brooke

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

<1 is good.  I've heard some say mitotic rate is second to Breslow/depth in terms of prognostic significance on path report (mitotic rate I believe recently replaced Clark level in the staging system)

JC
          Participant

<1 is good.  I've heard some say mitotic rate is second to Breslow/depth in terms of prognostic significance on path report (mitotic rate I believe recently replaced Clark level in the staging system)

JC
            Participant

POW
              Participant

Mitotic index is an indication of how quickly the cells are dividing. A mitotic index of <1/mm2 means that very few cells in the sample were actively dividing. I have often seen posters here report MI of 4, 5, or 6 /mm2; once or twice I've seen them as high as 10/mm2 (i.e., dividing very rapidly). So yes, you have good reason to be hopeful. 

POW
                Participant

Mitotic index is an indication of how quickly the cells are dividing. A mitotic index of <1/mm2 means that very few cells in the sample were actively dividing. I have often seen posters here report MI of 4, 5, or 6 /mm2; once or twice I've seen them as high as 10/mm2 (i.e., dividing very rapidly). So yes, you have good reason to be hopeful. 

POW
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

At the moment, mitotic rate is only used to distinguish stage IA from stage IB.  It is not included in the other stages for prognostic value.  So while your mitotic rate is good, there is really no knowing what effect that has in a more advanced stage.  In your case with only a satellite lesion to upstage you, I'd say having <1 mitosis is a good thing.  However, mitosis rate can be a bit subjective, so I'd just look at it as a positive factor but not put much more significance on it than that. 

Janner
                      Participant

At the moment, mitotic rate is only used to distinguish stage IA from stage IB.  It is not included in the other stages for prognostic value.  So while your mitotic rate is good, there is really no knowing what effect that has in a more advanced stage.  In your case with only a satellite lesion to upstage you, I'd say having <1 mitosis is a good thing.  However, mitosis rate can be a bit subjective, so I'd just look at it as a positive factor but not put much more significance on it than that. 

Janner
                        Participant

vivian
                          Participant

Three years ago in November 2010, my primary lesion measured Breslow 4.35, with a mitotic rate of 9, stage IIIa.  I am currently stage IV NED, having had no treatment other than surgery for the initial melanoma, axillary lymph node dissection for one positive node, one in-transit met removed in March 2013 and one small lung met removed November 2012.  According to the statistics, I probably shouldn't be here feeling great and living my life, but here I am, and there are many others like me.  Just goes to show that people are not statistics!    

vivian
                            Participant

Three years ago in November 2010, my primary lesion measured Breslow 4.35, with a mitotic rate of 9, stage IIIa.  I am currently stage IV NED, having had no treatment other than surgery for the initial melanoma, axillary lymph node dissection for one positive node, one in-transit met removed in March 2013 and one small lung met removed November 2012.  According to the statistics, I probably shouldn't be here feeling great and living my life, but here I am, and there are many others like me.  Just goes to show that people are not statistics!    

vivian
                              Participant

Viewing 10 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics