The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How do you know when lymph nodes are enlarged?

Forums General Melanoma Community How do you know when lymph nodes are enlarged?

Participant

I was diagnosed almost four years ago IIIA.  My original site was on my shin.  I had the LND and have been NED ever since…Praise God!  I was "friends" with Amy Busby and oh how I miss her!!..I remember her mm came back after being NED for 6 yrs and it first appeared in her various lymph nodes.  So this is one reason I am concerned.  

I was diagnosed almost four years ago IIIA.  My original site was on my shin.  I had the LND and have been NED ever since…Praise God!  I was "friends" with Amy Busby and oh how I miss her!!..I remember her mm came back after being NED for 6 yrs and it first appeared in her various lymph nodes.  So this is one reason I am concerned.  

I have one slightly enlarged node in my neck (assuming it's from allergies).  When I feel under my arms I feel several nodes…I can only feel them when I use the same hand as the arm vs reaching across my body.  This seems a bit weird.  They are not huge, probably the size of almonds??  My next check up is in Oct…cant decide if I should just wait or look into this sooner.

Anyone have any experience with enlarged nodes?  What did they feel like?  Where else would I notice nodes?  Sorry this is so wordy:)

Thanks for any insight!
      Courtney

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The typical scenario is "hard and not movable".  Not a hard and fast rule, but this is what you'd normally be looking for.  And since the groin nodes would be your most likely first location, compare one side against the other and look for differences.  The neck and armpit nodes would not be the first area that melanoma would most likely go to in your situation. 

My Dad recently had melanoma in his armpit (from a back primary), and the node was significantly harder and larger than anything else in the area.  His was movable, however, and hopefully confined to that node only.  He's 86 and we decided to just "cherry pick" and remove that single node only.

Best wishes,

Janner

p.s. I miss Amy too.

Janner
          Participant

The typical scenario is "hard and not movable".  Not a hard and fast rule, but this is what you'd normally be looking for.  And since the groin nodes would be your most likely first location, compare one side against the other and look for differences.  The neck and armpit nodes would not be the first area that melanoma would most likely go to in your situation. 

My Dad recently had melanoma in his armpit (from a back primary), and the node was significantly harder and larger than anything else in the area.  His was movable, however, and hopefully confined to that node only.  He's 86 and we decided to just "cherry pick" and remove that single node only.

Best wishes,

Janner

p.s. I miss Amy too.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics