The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

how do they diagnose brain mets?

Forums General Melanoma Community how do they diagnose brain mets?

Participant

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question…what makes an oncologist look for brain mets?  Is there anything that shows up in the blood?  I've been sent for a brain MRI, so I'm just wondering if he saw something that he didn't tell me.

Thanks for any help about this.

As always…continue the fight!

Tricia

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question…what makes an oncologist look for brain mets?  Is there anything that shows up in the blood?  I've been sent for a brain MRI, so I'm just wondering if he saw something that he didn't tell me.

Thanks for any help about this.

As always…continue the fight!

Tricia

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        i had a seizure in my left arm that caused a brain MRI to be requested. This was nearly 3 yes out from the initial stage 1 B diagnosis in 2008. I always tell all my dr regardless of reason for my visit about my Melanoma history. If I had not who knows how long would it have taken to find these lesions. And get after them last July 2011. They biopsies lesion in with the ct done on my liver confirming melanoma mets and status of BRAF positive.

Kathy

i had a seizure in my left arm that caused a brain MRI to be requested. This was nearly 3 yes out from the initial stage 1 B diagnosis in 2008. I always tell all my dr regardless of reason for my visit about my Melanoma history. If I had not who knows how long would it have taken to find these lesions. And get after them last July 2011. They biopsies lesion in with the ct done on my liver confirming melanoma mets and status of BRAF positive.

Kathy

Kathy

Karin L
        Participant

Did you have a PET/CT?  (the brain in included and if it showed anything questionable they would want an MRI).  Did you question/complain of any symptoms during a visit?  (I know when I had ear ringing they sent me for a brain MRI and when I got neuropathy I was sent again for another brain MRI).  Unless it is for a baseline?

Karin

Karin L
          Participant

Did you have a PET/CT?  (the brain in included and if it showed anything questionable they would want an MRI).  Did you question/complain of any symptoms during a visit?  (I know when I had ear ringing they sent me for a brain MRI and when I got neuropathy I was sent again for another brain MRI).  Unless it is for a baseline?

Karin

Karin L
            Participant

Karin

lhaley
              Participant

I saw in your last post that you had a new tumor.  Many Doctors will order an MRI when you have a new spot if you haven't had one recently.  Often doing a baseline if you have a problem in the future.

My brain met was found when I called my oncologist and described my tooth ache.  Ended up that 7 months later when I finally was off of the steroids we discovered I did need a root canal that they ended up pulling the tooth.  Since the tumor was bleeding within just a few days it's a good thing I did have that toothache!

Don't freak out that your oncologist ordered the mri, most likely being proactive. When you get your all clear scan you will breathe so much better!

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

I saw in your last post that you had a new tumor.  Many Doctors will order an MRI when you have a new spot if you haven't had one recently.  Often doing a baseline if you have a problem in the future.

My brain met was found when I called my oncologist and described my tooth ache.  Ended up that 7 months later when I finally was off of the steroids we discovered I did need a root canal that they ended up pulling the tooth.  Since the tumor was bleeding within just a few days it's a good thing I did have that toothache!

Don't freak out that your oncologist ordered the mri, most likely being proactive. When you get your all clear scan you will breathe so much better!

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Linda

triciad
                    Participant

Thanks girls!  No, I didn't complain of any symptoms…other than feeling the bump at my original site.  PET showed NOTHING!  My oncologist's PA called to tell me everything was great.  PET was clear and it was just a fatty tissue.  I just happened to have my regular check up with oncologist that afternoon.  I walked in and he said, "Oh, it's definitely melanoma>" 

Surgery and path says, "lymphovascular invasion," whcih means in both lymph and blood system now.  Then, few weeks after surgery, I had my check up and now he's sending me for brain MRI.

Many thanks to all of you for your help and wisdom.  I'll keep you posted!

Tricia

triciad
                      Participant

Thanks girls!  No, I didn't complain of any symptoms…other than feeling the bump at my original site.  PET showed NOTHING!  My oncologist's PA called to tell me everything was great.  PET was clear and it was just a fatty tissue.  I just happened to have my regular check up with oncologist that afternoon.  I walked in and he said, "Oh, it's definitely melanoma>" 

Surgery and path says, "lymphovascular invasion," whcih means in both lymph and blood system now.  Then, few weeks after surgery, I had my check up and now he's sending me for brain MRI.

Tricia

triciad
                        Participant

Tricia

Viewing 11 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics