The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hope for the Zelboraf resistant

Forums General Melanoma Community Hope for the Zelboraf resistant

Participant

I just found out about two clinical trials for Novartis' new BRAF inhibitor LGX818.  LGX818 is a lot like Zelboraf but it binds tighter to the BRAF protein so it might be harder for the tumor to develop resistance. You still have to have the BRAF V600E mutation, though.

I just found out about two clinical trials for Novartis' new BRAF inhibitor LGX818.  LGX818 is a lot like Zelboraf but it binds tighter to the BRAF protein so it might be harder for the tumor to develop resistance. You still have to have the BRAF V600E mutation, though.

Novartis is sponsoring 2 clinical trials– one of LGX818 alone ( http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01436656 ) and one of LGX818 + the MEK inhibitor MEK162 ( http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01543698 ). The number of sites is still small, but new sites will be recuriting soon (including Moffitt).

The best news is that according to Dr. Gibney at Moffitt, LGX818 has been shown to have activity in patients who became resistant to Zelboraf AND  having a history of Zelboraf does not exclude you from this trial!

Viewing 19 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

This is encouraging news! Thank you for posting it.. .. truly things are changing from moment to moment in the treatment of melanoma. SO different than just a few years ago.

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

This is encouraging news! Thank you for posting it.. .. truly things are changing from moment to moment in the treatment of melanoma. SO different than just a few years ago.

Tina

Tina D
            Participant

Tina

KMT2003
              Participant
                I have heard a little bit about these trials from Dr. Gibney also. Good to know that being on Z beforehand doesn’t exclude you. I hope one of these trials will benefit your brother. Does he see Dr. Gibney normally and does he like him? I do and I like him also. We will be seeing him Dec 21st to see if Z is working for me-first scans since started medicine. Good luck and keep fighting!

Kelly

POW
                  Participant

Actually, my brother is being treated at the Tampa VA. He consulted with Dr. Gibney about clinical trials back in June when he was first diagnosed, but he didn't qualify for any trials because of his brain mets. So my brother went on Zelboarf at the VA. Now that brother is becoming resistant to Z and his brain mets are dead, we are going to consult with Gibney again about clinicial trials (the VA doesn't participate in clinical trials.) We were very impressed with Dr. Gibney when we met him and are looking forward to meeting with him again soon. 

POW
                    Participant

Actually, my brother is being treated at the Tampa VA. He consulted with Dr. Gibney about clinical trials back in June when he was first diagnosed, but he didn't qualify for any trials because of his brain mets. So my brother went on Zelboarf at the VA. Now that brother is becoming resistant to Z and his brain mets are dead, we are going to consult with Gibney again about clinicial trials (the VA doesn't participate in clinical trials.) We were very impressed with Dr. Gibney when we met him and are looking forward to meeting with him again soon. 

POW
                      Participant

KMT2003
                      Participant
                        I have heard a little bit about these trials from Dr. Gibney also. Good to know that being on Z beforehand doesn’t exclude you. I hope one of these trials will benefit your brother. Does he see Dr. Gibney normally and does he like him? I do and I like him also. We will be seeing him Dec 21st to see if Z is working for me-first scans since started medicine. Good luck and keep fighting!

Kelly

KMT2003
                        Participant

Kelly

triciad
                          Participant

Thanks for posting this wonderful information!  Every day…a little closer!

triciad
                            Participant

triciad
                              Participant

H555
                                Participant
                                  Very very encouraging news. I’m screening for this trial at Ohsu after failing an earlier trial. (Not of this combination) due to disease progression. I’ve been stage iv for over a year and was on zelboraf for much of that time. It took the cancer 10 months to adapt.
                                  H555
                                  Participant
                                    Very very encouraging news. I’m screening for this trial at Ohsu after failing an earlier trial. (Not of this combination) due to disease progression. I’ve been stage iv for over a year and was on zelboraf for much of that time. It took the cancer 10 months to adapt.
                                    H555
                                    Participant
                                      AllyNTAus
                                      Participant
                                        POW, I am on this Novartis combination trial at the moment, i last updated my progress with a post on 10 June. Anyone who wants to read about my progress can look up my profile and ongoing post. I became resistant to Dabrafenib (the GSK BRAF inhibitor, rather than Zelboraf) and was given very quick entry to the Novartis trial with only a 2 day wash out.

The BRAF/MEK combination seems to be working, I was definitely progressing on Dabrafenib in the early part of this year, butI have been stable since March, and my next scan on 1 July will tell us more, but I am feeling pretty well, just a bit of tummy discomfort which I think may be more related to a bout of food poisoning a few weeks back and possibly my ongoing dexamethasone use.

AllyNTAus
                                        Participant
                                          POW, I am on this Novartis combination trial at the moment, i last updated my progress with a post on 10 June. Anyone who wants to read about my progress can look up my profile and ongoing post. I became resistant to Dabrafenib (the GSK BRAF inhibitor, rather than Zelboraf) and was given very quick entry to the Novartis trial with only a 2 day wash out.

The BRAF/MEK combination seems to be working, I was definitely progressing on Dabrafenib in the early part of this year, butI have been stable since March, and my next scan on 1 July will tell us more, but I am feeling pretty well, just a bit of tummy discomfort which I think may be more related to a bout of food poisoning a few weeks back and possibly my ongoing dexamethasone use.

AllyNTAus
                                          Participant

H555
                                            Participant
                                              Just yesterday I completed screening for this treatment at Oregon Health Sciences University with a planned start date of next Wednesday, jul 17. I got 10 months of help with zelboraf before the cancer adapted and am eager to get underway with treatment again. The bulk of my cancer is in my lungs, predominantly my left lung and one node/nodule is partially blocking an airway at the top of the lung. I tolerated zelboraf well.
                                              H555
                                              Participant
                                                Just yesterday I completed screening for this treatment at Oregon Health Sciences University with a planned start date of next Wednesday, jul 17. I got 10 months of help with zelboraf before the cancer adapted and am eager to get underway with treatment again. The bulk of my cancer is in my lungs, predominantly my left lung and one node/nodule is partially blocking an airway at the top of the lung. I tolerated zelboraf well.
                                                H555
                                                Participant
                                                  H555
                                                  Participant
                                                    I was only in the trial for 2 weeks when 2 brain lesions were discovered and removed the following week. I understand I was the only participant and OHSU was the only site up and operating. The surgeries caused ne to be dropped but I’m starting il-2 in sept
                                                    POW
                                                    Participant

Darn! How disappointing for you! And how strange that they seem to have abandoned this clinical trial. I hope you are recovering from your surgery and I wish you great success with the IL-2. Please keep us posted.

POW
                                                      Participant

Did you get into the LGX818 + MEK162 clinical trial? How is that going for you? Many of us are concerned about becoming resistant to Zelboraf so your experience will be very valuable for the rest of us.

POW
                                                        Participant

Did you get into the LGX818 + MEK162 clinical trial? How is that going for you? Many of us are concerned about becoming resistant to Zelboraf so your experience will be very valuable for the rest of us.

POW
                                                          Participant

H555
                                                            Participant
                                                              I was only in the trial for 2 weeks when 2 brain lesions were discovered and removed the following week. I understand I was the only participant and OHSU was the only site up and operating. The surgeries caused ne to be dropped but I’m starting il-2 in sept
                                                              H555
                                                              Participant
                                                                POW
                                                                Participant

Darn! How disappointing for you! And how strange that they seem to have abandoned this clinical trial. I hope you are recovering from your surgery and I wish you great success with the IL-2. Please keep us posted.

POW
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics