The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hope at 35,000 Feet

Forums General Melanoma Community Hope at 35,000 Feet

Participant

Today marks my husband's second "birthday" as he calls it. Two years that he's been NED. Two years since he started Keytruda. 

As we celebrate this day, I remember where we were just four years ago. Faced with a Stage IV diagnosis, a tumor ensnared around his spinal cord, the despair of a failed clinical trial and all two weeks before our wedding. 

Fast forward two weeks from then … Despite undergoing major back surgery, Joe got on a plane and we flew to Vegas to get married on the day we had planned, June 1, 2013. Our overall amended wedding/honeymoon plans now included driving up to Lake Tahoe to visit with vacationing family and then return to Vegas to fly home to Pennsylvania. 

But by the time we made it to Tahoe, the trip was taking a toll on Joe and we had to fly home from Reno just two days after arriving there. 

At all the airports during our travel, I was pushing Joe around in a wheelchair and he wore a pretty heavy-duty back brace. If someone asked what was wrong, Joe just said, "I had back surgery." He didn't share the cancer drama. 

At Reno, we boarded our Southwest plane first and got settled in the first row. Joe next to the window, I in the middle seat. Next to me sat an older gentleman. He asked Joe what was wrong and, to my surprise, Joe revealed: "I've got cancer. I had a tumor around my spinal cord." The guy said wow and wished him well.

As the plane sped down the runway for takeoff, the man turned to me and said, "I had cancer too. Twice." "Wow," I said back, wondering in my head what kind he had.

As the plane soared into the air, he turned to me and said, "It was melanoma. Twenty years ago when there really wasn't any treatment at all. It was under my armpit and in my lymph nodes." This is EXACTLY how Joe's melanoma had resurfaced after 18 years of being "gone." Just seven months before his back tumor.

I feel that day, as we flew thousands of feet in the air, we were touched by a hope angel. 

That the road ahead might be rough. That more surgeries might be in our future. But that more important than anything was to never give up, to always have hope.

The reason I share this story with you? My sincerest wish is that it brings you hope, at this moment you so yearn for it like I did that day, whether you're reading this at 35,000 feet or while sitting at home nestled on your couch.

All the best always,

Kimberly

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies

Thank you.  

HopefulOne
          Participant

You're welcome. Good luck with the journey you're on. 

Christinad
            Participant

Thank you for sharing and congratulations on two years NED! 

jennunicorn
            Participant

Thank you for sharing Kimberly, and congrats to your husband on his NED birthday!

HopefulOne
                Participant

You're welcome, Jenn. And thanks for the congrats. Good luck with your journey. Stay strong!

Shannon B
                Participant

Kimberly,

I so needed this today. My husband had been NED for 10 years. We just found out it's back. This gives me hope. 

Blessings, 

Shannon

HopefulOne
                    Participant

Hi Shannon,

Glad this message of hope reached you at the right time! And so sorry to hear that his melanoma returned. I'm hoping and praying that all goes well for you both.

Hang in there and stay strong.
                      Kimberly

betsyl
                    Participant

Beautiful story. Thanks for the hope. heart

HopefulOne
                        Participant

Thank you – and you're welcome. Stay strong.

sister of patient
                        Participant

This is a great story – thank you so much for sharing it!! And a big Happy Birthday to Joe!  🙂

Barb

HopefulOne
                            Participant

Thanks, Barb!! 🙂 You take care.

miaka618
                            Participant
                              With all of the struggles and new members on here, this is definitely a beacon of light. Thank you for sharing.
                                HopefulOne
                                Participant

Thanks, April. Take care. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics