The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Home from Surgery- How to Stay Busy?

Forums General Melanoma Community Home from Surgery- How to Stay Busy?

Participant

Made it home from my groin surgery on Friday. I was not so nervous about the surgery itself, but more apprehensive  about the recovery process & having a drain. So far it hasn't been as painful or debilitating as I thought it would be.  With that said – I know I am essentially resting for the next 2 weeks. 

Hopefully the healing process continues to go well. I see the surgeon on Thursday and then re-start Keytruda at the end of the month. 

One of the nice things about working for me has been a distraction from melanoma. But, since I am taking time off to recover I need your suggestions – how should I keep my mind occupied/stay busy?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Oldwife
        Participant

Journaling can be very interesting not only in the present, but in the future when you or your family looks back on it.  I have gotten some significant insights that way.  And, LOL, it's a writing all about me!  Taking care of you is important, and this is one way to really look at what is important to you.  Hope your recovery continues as good as it has begun!

J.bun
            Participant

That's a great idea- and certainly more stimulating than endless TV.  Appreciate your wishes!

Fen
            Participant

Learn something.  Guitar, oil painting, bird ID (Cornell Labs has a great website).  Keeps your mind occupied and your neurons firing.

good luck.

J.bun
                Participant

Thanks Fen!  Deciding on an online learning course or two will be a great use of time and certainly help to keep me engaged … 

Beth-MRF
                  Participant

Find some good podcasts! I like TED talks, too, and learn a lot!

J.bun
                    Participant

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the recommendation Beth. 

Some of my coworkers had given me some puzzle books and my in laws gave me coloring books.  Both were a nice alternative to reading and TV.  Good wishes to you.  Sometimes it's hard to rest.  I tried doing a bit too much too soon after brain surgery and regretted it.

J.bun
                      Participant

That sounds like fun! I enjoyed doing those activities when I was younger – and have seen the resurgence in adult coloring books.  Appreciate the recommendations and reminder to not do too much too soon – it is tempting. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics