The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ho hum politics and misc rant

Forums General Melanoma Community ho hum politics and misc rant

Participant

So the Repubs spent 8 years screwing things up. And two years just saying no. Gridlock in Washington gets even worse now. I'm fed up with both parties and the entire system. Didn't even bother to vote. No candidates Dem or Repub caught my interest.  Said long ago whoever followed Bush would be a one term president with an impossible job of cleaning up the mess. No easy solutions to the economy.

So the Repubs spent 8 years screwing things up. And two years just saying no. Gridlock in Washington gets even worse now. I'm fed up with both parties and the entire system. Didn't even bother to vote. No candidates Dem or Repub caught my interest.  Said long ago whoever followed Bush would be a one term president with an impossible job of cleaning up the mess. No easy solutions to the economy. The wacky right only offers buzz words (guns, right to life, cut taxes, etc.) but no real solutions.  How about a public works jobs program instead of more bailouts or money printing. Put people to work cleaning up the cities, cleaning up the environment.  How about bringing jobs back to this country by limiting imports to a fixed percentage of GNP. Fuck China and Europe. Wallmart would have to raise prices but tough shit. We gave away our manufacturing base for cheaper imports but flipping hamburgers doesn't keep a family above poverty level. Big business got fatter profits from cheap foreign labor but the worker bees in this country are going down the drain.  

So baaaack in Florida. For a few days. Going to a wedding in New Hampshire this weekend. Lots of food and drink and good fellowship.  Then back to Florida until spring gets sprung.

Frederica, you wouldn't like Santa Fe. Too much high class there. Stick with beer, hot dogs and pretzels at the redneck paradise.

So if Sarah Palin runs for prez in 012, what drooling idiot will be her VP?  Some butt scratching finger sniffing nose picking booger eating goober? Somebody just like Dan T?

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        KyCyn
        Participant

Lordy, I can't even imagine the next two years!

Here is Kentucky, we elected the Tea Party darling – he who thinks the mountains in Appalachia are just in the way of more golf courses (yikes!), gives himself awards, and starts his own board to certify him as an eye doctor.

We're in for a wild ride – thank goodness I'll be on the water when the real S$#@ hits the fan!

Cyn

BillMFl
            Participant

Happy sails to you!

BillMFl
              Participant

Happy sails to you!

KyCyn
              Participant

Lordy, I can't even imagine the next two years!

Here is Kentucky, we elected the Tea Party darling – he who thinks the mountains in Appalachia are just in the way of more golf courses (yikes!), gives himself awards, and starts his own board to certify him as an eye doctor.

We're in for a wild ride – thank goodness I'll be on the water when the real S$#@ hits the fan!

Cyn

LizzM
                Participant

If you didn't bother to vote then you shouldn't have a say. Apathy is part of the reason our country is in the mess it is in. People talk, bitch and moan about things but don't try to do their part in changing things. Pitiful!

BillMFl
                    Participant

How profound. God you are boring. Who wants change?  I'm for Obama in 012.  The Repubs love big business slaved to by big government. Do you actually think they are for the working people?  The Repubs ran up record deficits under Bush. What makes you think they will change? They just want to get back in power so they can spend on guns and bullets. Maybe attack North Korea and Iran. Big business, big military and screw the worker bees. Nice policy huh. The rich got richer (me included) under Bush. And the middle class got the shit end of the stick.  Repubs use buzz words about guns, patriotism and right to life issues to suck in the red necks, wacko right and evangelicals and get their votes, then they reward their fat cat budies.  The Tea Party will fizzle unless it breaks away from the Repubs and becomes a third party force to be reconded with.  And realistically, no modern world power country can function without a big government. So that issue is all smoke and mirrors. Big government is here to stay. Taxes will always have to pay for it.  Most people are sick of the negative campaigns, posturing and lack of co-operation in Washington.  Can't wait to see all the "positive" solutions a Republican Congress will come up with after two years of only saying NO.

TinaR
                      Participant

I also get a kick out of voters electing Republicans to make government smaller. Find the disconnect  fascinating…with  the outrageous Republican use of funds and the bizarre ways they limit potential revenue by giving tax breaks to those who don't use the breaks to create jobs HERE. This uncollected tax money is going to be privately invested  in other countries for obscene corporate profit ( again!)…when it could be used here  to finance social programs and the desperate need to educate our people to make it in the global economy.  This is like a horrible version of the 50 First Dates movie!  These people have VERY short memories…

Bill,  I want to see the Teabaggers (hate they changed their name…the fact they had no idea what they were calling themselves was amusing)  become an established third party…let all the whack jobs band together, take that screwy contingent out of the Republican party– split the vote and elect Democrats from here to forever. Crazy freaking loons. 

The only possible light I can see at the end of this horrible dejavu tunnel … the usual Republican sex scandals!  Maybe involving some real tea-bagging or John Boehner and Eric Canter… who knows what evil  and fun is to come from this crew. The high probability of this happening makes the mess bearable.  Their kind of crazy ideas can't be limited to their public life…hilarity will ensue 🙂

LV is so right…if it wasn't the craziest,  jaw-dropping train-wreck I'd be crying !

TinaR
                        Participant

I also get a kick out of voters electing Republicans to make government smaller. Find the disconnect  fascinating…with  the outrageous Republican use of funds and the bizarre ways they limit potential revenue by giving tax breaks to those who don't use the breaks to create jobs HERE. This uncollected tax money is going to be privately invested  in other countries for obscene corporate profit ( again!)…when it could be used here  to finance social programs and the desperate need to educate our people to make it in the global economy.  This is like a horrible version of the 50 First Dates movie!  These people have VERY short memories…

Bill,  I want to see the Teabaggers (hate they changed their name…the fact they had no idea what they were calling themselves was amusing)  become an established third party…let all the whack jobs band together, take that screwy contingent out of the Republican party– split the vote and elect Democrats from here to forever. Crazy freaking loons. 

The only possible light I can see at the end of this horrible dejavu tunnel … the usual Republican sex scandals!  Maybe involving some real tea-bagging or John Boehner and Eric Canter… who knows what evil  and fun is to come from this crew. The high probability of this happening makes the mess bearable.  Their kind of crazy ideas can't be limited to their public life…hilarity will ensue 🙂

LV is so right…if it wasn't the craziest,  jaw-dropping train-wreck I'd be crying !

glewis923
                          Participant

….boy, aren't we just real tolerant here?

TinaR
                            Participant

Noooooo, we're pretend tolerant- this way we can go back and forth on a per post basis !

TinaR
                              Participant

Noooooo, we're pretend tolerant- this way we can go back and forth on a per post basis !

glewis923
                                Participant

….boy, aren't we just real tolerant here?

BillMFl
                                  Participant

How profound. God you are boring. Who wants change?  I'm for Obama in 012.  The Repubs love big business slaved to by big government. Do you actually think they are for the working people?  The Repubs ran up record deficits under Bush. What makes you think they will change? They just want to get back in power so they can spend on guns and bullets. Maybe attack North Korea and Iran. Big business, big military and screw the worker bees. Nice policy huh. The rich got richer (me included) under Bush. And the middle class got the shit end of the stick.  Repubs use buzz words about guns, patriotism and right to life issues to suck in the red necks, wacko right and evangelicals and get their votes, then they reward their fat cat budies.  The Tea Party will fizzle unless it breaks away from the Repubs and becomes a third party force to be reconded with.  And realistically, no modern world power country can function without a big government. So that issue is all smoke and mirrors. Big government is here to stay. Taxes will always have to pay for it.  Most people are sick of the negative campaigns, posturing and lack of co-operation in Washington.  Can't wait to see all the "positive" solutions a Republican Congress will come up with after two years of only saying NO.

LizzM
                                  Participant

If you didn't bother to vote then you shouldn't have a say. Apathy is part of the reason our country is in the mess it is in. People talk, bitch and moan about things but don't try to do their part in changing things. Pitiful!

LV
                                    Participant

Well, Bill, a public works job program would be a GOVERNMENT program, so that would be bigger government, not smaller, so it's a no go. Didn't you know? Government is baaaaad. Except when it comes to your bedroom – then government should be the regulating power.

In a nutshell: Government oversight of business = bad.

Government oversight of your personal life = good.

If I didn't laugh, I'd be crying.

BillMFl
                                        Participant

I like your nutshell. Really sums up the Republican platform. 

BillMFl
                                          Participant

I like your nutshell. Really sums up the Republican platform. 

LV
                                            Participant

I said I was laughing, but I'm not. I am truly heartsick at how the vote went here, in my state, in my county. The display of anger, of hatred, and yes, racism, the me-first attitude, all make me feel like throwing up.

It makes me think that what I've always seen as the true Republican plan is working. It starts with dismantling public education in order to dumb-down as many middle and lower class people as possible. Feed their anger and fear. Tell them what they want to hear. Keep them thinking that good times are just around the corner, while laughing up their sleeves all the way to the bank. As it is currently, the wealthiest 20% already own nearly 84% of this country's wealth. That is not scary?

Maybe it's a kind of Stockholm syndrome, where those being held captive develop a bond with their captors, and come to believe they really have thier best interests at heart.

LV
                                              Participant

I said I was laughing, but I'm not. I am truly heartsick at how the vote went here, in my state, in my county. The display of anger, of hatred, and yes, racism, the me-first attitude, all make me feel like throwing up.

It makes me think that what I've always seen as the true Republican plan is working. It starts with dismantling public education in order to dumb-down as many middle and lower class people as possible. Feed their anger and fear. Tell them what they want to hear. Keep them thinking that good times are just around the corner, while laughing up their sleeves all the way to the bank. As it is currently, the wealthiest 20% already own nearly 84% of this country's wealth. That is not scary?

Maybe it's a kind of Stockholm syndrome, where those being held captive develop a bond with their captors, and come to believe they really have thier best interests at heart.

bcl
                                                Participant

yes that must be it LV, Stockholm syndrome !  (Gosh you're smart:)  Yesterday one of our Canadian journalists wrote about  the income gap and also the Super PACs..  very depressing stuff indeed. http://www.timescolonist.com/business/Dangerous+between+rich+rest/3762666/story.html

The election highlight for me was when that rich dame in California failed to buy herself a title…  LMFAO

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/11/the-biggest-loser/comment-page-1/

bcl
                                                  Participant

yes that must be it LV, Stockholm syndrome !  (Gosh you're smart:)  Yesterday one of our Canadian journalists wrote about  the income gap and also the Super PACs..  very depressing stuff indeed. http://www.timescolonist.com/business/Dangerous+between+rich+rest/3762666/story.html

The election highlight for me was when that rich dame in California failed to buy herself a title…  LMFAO

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/11/the-biggest-loser/comment-page-1/

LV
                                                    Participant

Lol, yes, there were a few highlights. It helps to be able to see humor in bad times, but the laughs are few and far between. We are so in for it. I must say BC keeps looking better and better to me.

LV
                                                      Participant

Lol, yes, there were a few highlights. It helps to be able to see humor in bad times, but the laughs are few and far between. We are so in for it. I must say BC keeps looking better and better to me.

bcl
                                                        Participant

yup, especially after our despised premier stepped down today:) But really, we're in for it too.. when your gov stagnates, we do too:(  

bcl
                                                          Participant

yup, especially after our despised premier stepped down today:) But really, we're in for it too.. when your gov stagnates, we do too:(  

LV
                                                            Participant

Gee, Bill, no one's ever commented on my nutshell before. I don't show it around much.

LV
                                                              Participant

Gee, Bill, no one's ever commented on my nutshell before. I don't show it around much.

LV
                                                              Participant

Well, Bill, a public works job program would be a GOVERNMENT program, so that would be bigger government, not smaller, so it's a no go. Didn't you know? Government is baaaaad. Except when it comes to your bedroom – then government should be the regulating power.

In a nutshell: Government oversight of business = bad.

Government oversight of your personal life = good.

If I didn't laugh, I'd be crying.

jag
                                                                Participant

Well, the Repubs, may have gotten the majority, but the real problem is that Nancy Pelosi is still in charge.  She is the democratic opposite of Dick Cheney.  Can't they both just get hit by a truck?

I didn't vote for a single incumbent.

LV
                                                                    Participant

And this makes you smart how? It's always easier to think in generalities rather than specifics. Did you take the time to actually look at the records of the incumbents, or just take someone else's word that you should throw the bums out? If you don't think there's a single incumbent who did a decent job, what makes you think the new crop will be any better?

Sorry, John, this is the kind of (non)-thinking that drives me crazy.

Out with the old, in with the new, off with their heads.

jag
                                                                      Participant

I think what you're saying is, "I liked having the old crooks around", I miss them.  Is that correct?

LV
                                                                        Participant

No, I'm asking if you were paying attention to anything other than 'vote the bums out.' Like, oh, what policies they were for or against, and what the challengers were for or against. Voting against every incumbent just sounds a little lock-step to me.

LV
                                                                          Participant

No, I'm asking if you were paying attention to anything other than 'vote the bums out.' Like, oh, what policies they were for or against, and what the challengers were for or against. Voting against every incumbent just sounds a little lock-step to me.

jag
                                                                            Participant

Here is a little cheese to go with your whine.

jag
                                                                              Participant

Here is a little cheese to go with your whine.

LV
                                                                                Participant

So much better than answering the question.

jag
                                                                                  Participant

didn't want to hurt your feelings.

jag
                                                                                    Participant

didn't want to hurt your feelings.

LV
                                                                                      Participant

Pretty funny.

LV
                                                                                        Participant

Pretty funny.

jag
                                                                                          Participant

Gotcha.

jag
                                                                                            Participant

Gotcha.

LV
                                                                                              Participant

Still delusional after all these years.

LV
                                                                                                Participant

Still delusional after all these years.

LV
                                                                                                  Participant

So much better than answering the question.

jag
                                                                                                    Participant

I think what you're saying is, "I liked having the old crooks around", I miss them.  Is that correct?

LV
                                                                                                      Participant

And this makes you smart how? It's always easier to think in generalities rather than specifics. Did you take the time to actually look at the records of the incumbents, or just take someone else's word that you should throw the bums out? If you don't think there's a single incumbent who did a decent job, what makes you think the new crop will be any better?

Sorry, John, this is the kind of (non)-thinking that drives me crazy.

Out with the old, in with the new, off with their heads.

jag
                                                                                                      Participant

Well, the Repubs, may have gotten the majority, but the real problem is that Nancy Pelosi is still in charge.  She is the democratic opposite of Dick Cheney.  Can't they both just get hit by a truck?

I didn't vote for a single incumbent.

Kimmer
                                                                                                        Participant

Bill,

I think I may be the only pretty conservative person on this board, but the whacky right does scare the bejeebers outta me. I don't usually get into a political fray, but you mentioned former Alaska gov.   Sarah Palin told Bill O'Reilly on Monday night basically that you can't be too far too the right.

Yikes and in in my humble opinion, yes you can!

She also said:

PALIN: But, no. A far right bent would be a healthy — we need a balance of power here, Bill. Look at this extreme liberalism that has control of the House and the Senate and the White House right now. We have got to balance that out. That's another message that will be sent on Tuesday against failed policy, against the monopoly of power in Congress and in the White House. 

Omygosh.  How does shifting the control to the right balance things out?  Don't like her.  Can't help it.  She talks too much.

I prolly have said too much as well.  It does seem that the real tragedy here is that we are a nation that is strongly divided on so many issues.  And compromise is hard to come by.

Sigh.

Take good care, K.

PS I bet New Hampshire will be beautiful this time of year. 

Homesick in Orlando.

BillMFl
                                                                                                            Participant

Over the years I have voted for both Dems and Repubs based on their qualifications rather than ideology. But that was when extreme right or left ideology rarely reared its ugly head and religion was mostly seperated from politics. The polarization in this country is a threat to the democratic process. And all the personal negative attack strategies (thanks Carl Rove) that have become so ugly are gradually reducing the number of decent sincere centrist candidates that are willing to run for office in either party.  Hate mongering and mud slinging rule the day. Moderate Republicans are dropping out or being voted out of office. The political polarization is hard to believe. Both parties have to work together or the system fails to serve the people.

BillMFl
                                                                                                              Participant

Over the years I have voted for both Dems and Repubs based on their qualifications rather than ideology. But that was when extreme right or left ideology rarely reared its ugly head and religion was mostly seperated from politics. The polarization in this country is a threat to the democratic process. And all the personal negative attack strategies (thanks Carl Rove) that have become so ugly are gradually reducing the number of decent sincere centrist candidates that are willing to run for office in either party.  Hate mongering and mud slinging rule the day. Moderate Republicans are dropping out or being voted out of office. The political polarization is hard to believe. Both parties have to work together or the system fails to serve the people.

Kimmer
                                                                                                              Participant

Bill,

I think I may be the only pretty conservative person on this board, but the whacky right does scare the bejeebers outta me. I don't usually get into a political fray, but you mentioned former Alaska gov.   Sarah Palin told Bill O'Reilly on Monday night basically that you can't be too far too the right.

Yikes and in in my humble opinion, yes you can!

She also said:

PALIN: But, no. A far right bent would be a healthy — we need a balance of power here, Bill. Look at this extreme liberalism that has control of the House and the Senate and the White House right now. We have got to balance that out. That's another message that will be sent on Tuesday against failed policy, against the monopoly of power in Congress and in the White House. 

Omygosh.  How does shifting the control to the right balance things out?  Don't like her.  Can't help it.  She talks too much.

I prolly have said too much as well.  It does seem that the real tragedy here is that we are a nation that is strongly divided on so many issues.  And compromise is hard to come by.

Sigh.

Take good care, K.

PS I bet New Hampshire will be beautiful this time of year. 

Homesick in Orlando.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics