The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

High dose of morphine

Forums General Melanoma Community High dose of morphine

Participant
      My husband is stage 4 and is no longer receiving treatments. Hospice has started coming out to our house to access him and help with what time he has left. This past Monday when they came out, they decided to increase his MS Contin (Morphine) tablets from 30mg, three times a day to 120mg three times a day. This seems like a very high amount of morphine. I’ve asked some of my nurse friends and a medical provider that I use to work with about this. They all agree that that is a super high dose but that they are only doing to make him comfortable. He hasn’t started taking it yet because the pharmacy didn’t have it in stock. I am scared for him to take this much because I’m afraid its going to keep him knocked out until the end. But at the same time, I’ve seen how much pain he’s in and it breaks my heart for him to hurt so much. Has anyone else loved ones received this high of a dose? They tried a pain pump on him but because he’s still mobile, the machine kept messing up and they felt that right now he could stay on the pill. His hospice nurse told me that things were going to get a lot worse but I also wonder if she told me that as a warning to prepare for when he starts taking this increase in morphine. Any input from you guys would be so helpful.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant
          Hey Anon;
          I cared for both my dad and my first wife while on morphine. This becomes an extremely delicate balance. It really depends on how much pain your husband is in. If he is in severe pain, you would much rather see relief, if his pain is manageable with less than you control that too. Unless your hospice system is different, you or another caregiver in the house are the ones who give him the morphine. If it is knocking him out and he doesn’t need to be knocked out, then don’t give as much. You will know when it seems to be appropriate to up the doses. Talk to the nurses/doctors about this. They will listen!
          God’s blessings on you, him and your family as you prepare to take this journey.
          Ted
          Bubbles
          Participant
            Hi Anon. I am so sorry for all that you and your husband are enduring. I have never taken care of adults in this scenario, but I have taken care of many children. Drugs like morphine and other pain medications have routine use dosage recommendations. However, unlike other drugs for which we have clear, well defined and absolute dosage guidelines – the dosage needed for these drugs in these circumstances depend on many things – the patient’s developed tolerance and the patient’s level of pain are two significant ones. Clearly, these are both hard to define and appreciate. I have administered pain meds to four year olds that would have put me on the floor, if not in the ICU – yet – for their condition and status – it was what they needed and tolerated. At this point, I would do whatever it took to keep your husband comfortable. My only thought is this – if your husband can swallow pills easily, I might ask for pills with a smaller dose that I could give more often. That way, you could certainly give 120 mg three times daily – but you could also manipulate the dosage as you need to in order to keep him comfortable but also alert as he prefers. It would just give you both more control. I would also encourage the hospice facility to get him a pump that works and works well. Mechanical problems can be troublesome, but they can be worked out and he deserves every bit of the help they can provide.

Don’t know that my words are very helpful, but I will be holding you both in my heart. Know that he is blessed to have you. yours, celeste

jbronicki
            Participant
              Hi Anon, I’m so sorry for what you and your husband are faced with and I agree with Bubbles and Ted. If this helps any, I wanted to share my experience with my mom. She was on high dose morphine for the last two weeks for end stage lung cancer. My mom randomly told me several times during her life that she wasn’t afraid of dying or death but she was afraid of being in pain while dying. That made our decision easy to treat the pain. My mom wasn’t a big talker and pretty stoic so for her to say those things to me, I knew she really feared the pain. And even though my mom wasn’t doing a lot of talking those last few weeks, I have no doubt that she heard me talking to her and telling her all the things I needed to tell her. I’m a pretty data driven person, but I absolutely know that she heard me, hospice was phenomenal. And knowing she wasn’t in pain and we just had that time to sit together and me talk to her made that time with her very special. I like Bubbles suggestion of getting the pills in smaller doses and that gives you flexibility since he is still able to take pills. Then you do have some control and can always adjust more as needed. Many hugs to you. I’m so sorry, this is so hard, any decision you make will be ok, it is the right decision for you and your husband.
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics