The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

High dose ipi

Forums General Melanoma Community High dose ipi

Participant

Hi it's Vicki

I had great news on my Scans the tiny lesion on my brain is gone and the larger one is turning into scar tissue. My CT scan was clear! My oncologist is suggesting high dose ipi due new data with higher overall survival rates. How many have gotten through all 4 doses without severe consequences? 
    Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Hi Vicki,

Don't let fear of side-effects get in the way of treatment options.  I'm one of many who had very, very few side-effects from ipi.  That said, many others have suffered immensely.  There is no way to know how you will react so I always say go for the treatment and deal with adverse reactions if you need to.  Note that adverse reactions also correlate with response, so it appears no pain, no gain may be a factor.  Whether ipi for you now is the right choice may be debatable.  Newest research says going with anti PD-1 (pembro or nivo) prior to ipi has shown better results.  The "standard of care" has been ipi first, probably due to its early approval for Stage 3, so many doctors are still going that route on autopilot.  Ask more questions, and research regarding your best next step.

Gary

Polymath
          Participant

Hi Vicki,

Don't let fear of side-effects get in the way of treatment options.  I'm one of many who had very, very few side-effects from ipi.  That said, many others have suffered immensely.  There is no way to know how you will react so I always say go for the treatment and deal with adverse reactions if you need to.  Note that adverse reactions also correlate with response, so it appears no pain, no gain may be a factor.  Whether ipi for you now is the right choice may be debatable.  Newest research says going with anti PD-1 (pembro or nivo) prior to ipi has shown better results.  The "standard of care" has been ipi first, probably due to its early approval for Stage 3, so many doctors are still going that route on autopilot.  Ask more questions, and research regarding your best next step.

Gary

vickiaa0529
              Participant

I'm going to ask about this but right now she's not recommending these because I'm not metastatic. 

Surely I didn't get re staged? 

Thanks for for your reply 

vickiaa0529
                Participant

I'm going to ask about this but right now she's not recommending these because I'm not metastatic. 

vickiaa0529
                  Participant

Polymath
                  Participant

Hi Vicki,

Gary

Bubbles
                    Participant

Hey Vicki,

Your new is wonderful!  Congrats!  Additionally, the research released that your doc was referencing confirms that Stage III folks treated with ipi do much better than those without treatment is super good news as well.  However, Gary makes a good point in that the sequential studies show that Stage IV folks given nivo then ipi had a 41% ORR, while those given ipi followed by nivo garnered only a 20% overall response rate.  Perhaps more oncologists need to look at these numbers, as well as the folks at the FDA, and first line treatments need to be adjusted, especially for Stage III and IV folks in need of adjuvant treatment, once again.  That being said, I would have given anything to be allowed treatment with ipi back in 2010 when I advanced to Stage IV but was rendered NED after SRS to a brain met and lung surgery.  So, ultimately, the news is good….we are making progress, but that doesn't mean we're home free yet!  Hang in there. 

Here's a link to the article your doc was talking about, as well as links within to the sequential study I mentioned and the results of the NED arm of the Nivo trial I particepated in from 2010 to 2013:   http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/10/prolonged-survival-in-stage-iii.html

celeste

vickiaa0529
                        Participant

Thank you so much! I think I'm going to relish my NES status and start ipi. 

vickiaa0529
                          Participant

vickiaa0529
                            Participant

Bubbles
                              Participant

Sounds good.  Not a  bad plan at all.  As far as your staging – you are for now and forever Stage IV….currently NED.  I wish you well!!!  celeste

Bubbles
                                Participant

Sounds good.  Not a  bad plan at all.  As far as your staging – you are for now and forever Stage IV….currently NED.  I wish you well!!!  celeste

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Hey Vicki,

Your new is wonderful!  Congrats!  Additionally, the research released that your doc was referencing confirms that Stage III folks treated with ipi do much better than those without treatment is super good news as well.  However, Gary makes a good point in that the sequential studies show that Stage IV folks given nivo then ipi had a 41% ORR, while those given ipi followed by nivo garnered only a 20% overall response rate.  Perhaps more oncologists need to look at these numbers, as well as the folks at the FDA, and first line treatments need to be adjusted, especially for Stage III and IV folks in need of adjuvant treatment, once again.  That being said, I would have given anything to be allowed treatment with ipi back in 2010 when I advanced to Stage IV but was rendered NED after SRS to a brain met and lung surgery.  So, ultimately, the news is good….we are making progress, but that doesn't mean we're home free yet!  Hang in there. 

Here's a link to the article your doc was talking about, as well as links within to the sequential study I mentioned and the results of the NED arm of the Nivo trial I particepated in from 2010 to 2013:   http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/10/prolonged-survival-in-stage-iii.html

celeste

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Hey Vicki,

celeste

ed williams
                                      Participant

Hi Vicki, I am in the Pd-1 corner first as well or the combination of ipi and nivo, rather than ipi first. Best Wishes!!!!Ed

vickiaa0529
                                          Participant

Hi Ed

What treatment did you do after Gamma Knife? My Dr is still recommending ipi as I'm not metastatic. I think I'm going to go for it. 

Thanks

Vicki

vickiaa0529
                                            Participant

Hi Ed

What treatment did you do after Gamma Knife? My Dr is still recommending ipi as I'm not metastatic. I think I'm going to go for it. 

Thanks

Vicki

vickiaa0529
                                              Participant

Hi Ed

Thanks

Vicki

ed williams
                                              Participant

Hi Vicki, I am in the Pd-1 corner first as well or the combination of ipi and nivo, rather than ipi first. Best Wishes!!!!Ed

ed williams
                                                Participant

vickiaa0529
                                                  Participant

So I just heard back from the Dr and she said that b/c I'm not metastatic she recommends ipi only so I think I'm going to go for it. My new question is if I fail ipi will I be eligible to try it again?

vickiaa0529
                                                    Participant

So I just heard back from the Dr and she said that b/c I'm not metastatic she recommends ipi only so I think I'm going to go for it. My new question is if I fail ipi will I be eligible to try it again?

jennunicorn
                                                        Participant

Yes you will. Like with me, I was on Ipi 10mg to prevent recurrence, now that mel is back, I have the option of any of the treatments, and I'll be doing Ipi/Nivo combo… so I'll be back on Ipi in a sense.. just with the addition of Nivo as well. I hope Ipi does the trick for you though!

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

Yes you will. Like with me, I was on Ipi 10mg to prevent recurrence, now that mel is back, I have the option of any of the treatments, and I'll be doing Ipi/Nivo combo… so I'll be back on Ipi in a sense.. just with the addition of Nivo as well. I hope Ipi does the trick for you though!

jennunicorn
                                                            Participant

vickiaa0529
                                                              Participant

Me too. It's funny I didn't realize I was NED now. 

vickiaa0529
                                                                Participant

vickiaa0529
                                                                  Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                    Participant

Haha, that's great Vicki!

jennunicorn
                                                                      Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                        Participant

vickiaa0529
                                                                        Participant

Hukill
                                                                          Participant

I had very few side effects and the ones I had were really nothing. People were always telling me how good I looked and they couldn't tell I had cancer or was going through treatment. Other than some fatigue at first I still go to work everyday, go camping and fishing and really everything I did before ipi. The words that caught me was you said high dose. I was on 3mg. I have read where people who were on higher doses, some 10mg and had serious side effects, some within the first week. I had my 4th dose on 9/9/2016 and now on the 4 doses of nivo then back to the combo for maitanance.

Hukill
                                                                            Participant

I had very few side effects and the ones I had were really nothing. People were always telling me how good I looked and they couldn't tell I had cancer or was going through treatment. Other than some fatigue at first I still go to work everyday, go camping and fishing and really everything I did before ipi. The words that caught me was you said high dose. I was on 3mg. I have read where people who were on higher doses, some 10mg and had serious side effects, some within the first week. I had my 4th dose on 9/9/2016 and now on the 4 doses of nivo then back to the combo for maitanance.

vickiaa0529
                                                                                Participant

How did you get the low dose? 

Thanks and glad you're doing good

vickiaa0529
                                                                                  Participant

vickiaa0529
                                                                                    Participant

Hukill
                                                                                      Participant

I don't know why the low dose. It could be since all my mets were in my lungs the dr thought the combo would still provide results. I guess it it didn't he may have increased the dose. I don't think it was a cost issue but with the VA you never know.

Hukill
                                                                                        Participant

I don't know why the low dose. It could be since all my mets were in my lungs the dr thought the combo would still provide results. I guess it it didn't he may have increased the dose. I don't think it was a cost issue but with the VA you never know.

Hukill
                                                                                          Participant

Hukill
                                                                                          Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                            Participant

My husband was Stage IV and took the Ipi high dose 10 mg/kg initial 4 doses followed by a dose every 12 weeks for over 2 years more.  He had the Ipi itch, fatigue and his eye brows turned white and some pigmentation mostly in his face turned white but really no bad side effects.  His body does not produce enough cortisol so he takes 5 mg. of prednisone daily and is trying to wean off of it as well.  He also became NED over 4 years ago.

If you would like to read more about his journey you can check out his profile.  He also took daily injections of GM-CSF for 14 days and off for 7  for the full 2 years and 9 months with the Ipi.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for over 4 years)

vickiaa0529
                                                                                                Participant

What an amazing journey. What is GM-CSF?

Thanks for your post

Gene_S
                                                                                                  Participant

GM-CSF is

Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) and T-cell responses

Also is a Leukine increases white blood cells and decreases the risk of infection in conditions such as cancer and bone marrow transplant.

We injected subdermal every day for 14 days and then 7 days no injections and then back to the 14 injectible days and so on and so forth.  This was the first try with Melanoma as we were told when it was paired with IPI (Yervoy).  It had been used with some other cancers previously.

Here is a longer explanation:

Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) is an important hematopoietic growth factor and immune modulator. GM-CSF also has profound effects on the functional activities of various circulating leukocytes. It is produced by a variety of cell types including T cells, macrophages, endothelial cells and fibroblasts upon receiving immune stimuli. Although GM-CSF is produced locally, it can act in a paracrine fashion to recruit circulating neutrophils, monocytes and lymphocytes to enhance their functions in host defense. Recent intensive investigations are centered on the application of GM-CSF as an immune adjuvant for its ability to increase dendritic cell (DC) maturation and function as well as macrophage activity. It is used clinically to treat neutropenia in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, in AIDS patients during therapy, and in patients after bone marrow transplantation. Interestingly, the hematopoietic system of GM-CSF-deficient mice appears to be normal; the most significant changes are in some specific T cell responses. Although molecular cloning of GM-CSF was carried out using cDNA library of T cells and it is well known that the T cells produce GM-CSF after activation, there is a lack of systematic investigation of this cytokine in production by T cells and its effect on T cell function.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Gene_S
                                                                                                    Participant

GM-CSF is

Also is a Leukine increases white blood cells and decreases the risk of infection in conditions such as cancer and bone marrow transplant.

We injected subdermal every day for 14 days and then 7 days no injections and then back to the 14 injectible days and so on and so forth.  This was the first try with Melanoma as we were told when it was paired with IPI (Yervoy).  It had been used with some other cancers previously.

Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) is an important hematopoietic growth factor and immune modulator. GM-CSF also has profound effects on the functional activities of various circulating leukocytes. It is produced by a variety of cell types including T cells, macrophages, endothelial cells and fibroblasts upon receiving immune stimuli. Although GM-CSF is produced locally, it can act in a paracrine fashion to recruit circulating neutrophils, monocytes and lymphocytes to enhance their functions in host defense. Recent intensive investigations are centered on the application of GM-CSF as an immune adjuvant for its ability to increase dendritic cell (DC) maturation and function as well as macrophage activity. It is used clinically to treat neutropenia in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, in AIDS patients during therapy, and in patients after bone marrow transplantation. Interestingly, the hematopoietic system of GM-CSF-deficient mice appears to be normal; the most significant changes are in some specific T cell responses. Although molecular cloning of GM-CSF was carried out using cDNA library of T cells and it is well known that the T cells produce GM-CSF after activation, there is a lack of systematic investigation of this cytokine in production by T cells and its effect on T cell function.

Gene_S
                                                                                                      Participant

GM-CSF is

vickiaa0529
                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks for your post

vickiaa0529
                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks for your post

Gene_S
                                                                                                          Participant

My husband was Stage IV and took the Ipi high dose 10 mg/kg initial 4 doses followed by a dose every 12 weeks for over 2 years more.  He had the Ipi itch, fatigue and his eye brows turned white and some pigmentation mostly in his face turned white but really no bad side effects.  His body does not produce enough cortisol so he takes 5 mg. of prednisone daily and is trying to wean off of it as well.  He also became NED over 4 years ago.

If you would like to read more about his journey you can check out his profile.  He also took daily injections of GM-CSF for 14 days and off for 7  for the full 2 years and 9 months with the Ipi.

Gene_S
                                                                                                            Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics