The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hi, kinda new

Forums General Melanoma Community Hi, kinda new

Participant

Hello,
      Been lurking here since Jan. But I have been lurking so long I realized that I can actually maybe help answer some questions too, so decided to join 🙁
      Diagnosed with stage 3 in Jan. had WLE and SN removal as well as groin lymphs removed. Pet scan clear. Started the Ipi / pembro trial and had one infusion. Unfortunately I got on the ipi, and in the trial the dose is even higher than if we weren't. The "regular" dose would be 10mg, and the trial dose is 11. And yes obviously the side effects have the potential to be worse too.

I was wondering if everyone who had their thyroid, adrenals or pituitary gland killed by ipi, does it come back? Or arre you on medication forever?

My worst side effects are excessive sweating, chills, random sharp joint pains (not in previously injured areas), weird very painful "fireworks" for lack of a better term, going off in my leg, neck feels fat and shoulders hurt, headaches, but the worst is a strange lower left back pain, like around my upper hip area.

Not looking forward to round 2 🙁

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies

Hi.  I had Ipi/Nivo treatment (made it through two rounds before side effects sidelined me).  I'm on Nivo only now.  My thyroid is shot and so I'm on synthroid for life.  It's a small pill and easy to take but I'm not happy beling on forever meds.  Maybe someone else has had different thyroid response.

Best wishes to you,

Jennifer

momsmole
          Participant

I'm sorry to hear about the tough side effects from your treatments.  I don't know about the melanoma treatments, but I've been on thyroid meds for about 25 years (non related to cancer).  I don't know if you know that some people do not get results from generic synthroid.  Have your doctor keep track of your levels until you're sure its working for you, and best of luck to both of you.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics