The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help with stage

Forums General Melanoma Community Help with stage

Participant

What can you guys tell me about these results? What does it mean if its Spitzoid type??

Malignant Melanoma without ulceration, at least Clark level IV.

Breslow thickness greater then 4.00mm

Mitotic rate: 3/ mm2      What does that mean????

Radial and Vertical growth are present

morphology is epitheloid……..what does that mean??

Regression is absent

Microscopic satellites are absent

Neurotropism is absent

Angiolymphatic invasion is absent.

Involves deep margin

What can you guys tell me about these results? What does it mean if its Spitzoid type??

Malignant Melanoma without ulceration, at least Clark level IV.

Breslow thickness greater then 4.00mm

Mitotic rate: 3/ mm2      What does that mean????

Radial and Vertical growth are present

morphology is epitheloid……..what does that mean??

Regression is absent

Microscopic satellites are absent

Neurotropism is absent

Angiolymphatic invasion is absent.

Involves deep margin

I would just like someone to tell me what this all means and be honest with me.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        DBOdom
        Participant

I think you can find all the answers to your questions from this website. Here's a URL to help you with your questions:

http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/melanoma-101/understanding-your-melanoma-pathology-report

If  this is your first diagnosis, take the time to educate yourself on this disease and read as much as you can on this site and others so you can make informed decisions moving forward.

We'll all be here to help.

DBOdom
          Participant

I think you can find all the answers to your questions from this website. Here's a URL to help you with your questions:

http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/melanoma-101/understanding-your-melanoma-pathology-report

If  this is your first diagnosis, take the time to educate yourself on this disease and read as much as you can on this site and others so you can make informed decisions moving forward.

We'll all be here to help.

Becky C.
            Participant

Hi. Of course I am not a doctor, but I was diagnosed back in July. Have had 3 surgeries in six weeks, so I got a crash course in melanoma. My oncologist told me that Breslow depth, ulceration, and mitotic rate are the most important things. Yours being 4mm, I think is considered deep, but your mitotic rate was low, thats good. No ulceration is good, too. I'm not sure from what you said if your margins were clear. Your doctor can answer all your questions. Good luck!

Becky C.
              Participant

Hi. Of course I am not a doctor, but I was diagnosed back in July. Have had 3 surgeries in six weeks, so I got a crash course in melanoma. My oncologist told me that Breslow depth, ulceration, and mitotic rate are the most important things. Yours being 4mm, I think is considered deep, but your mitotic rate was low, thats good. No ulceration is good, too. I'm not sure from what you said if your margins were clear. Your doctor can answer all your questions. Good luck!

washoegal
                Participant

You forgot to add you have had your SNLB and it was clear.  That is an essential point in staging anything 1.0 mm and over.  I believe the staging you were given 2B is correct. 

You are letting fear control you.  The doctor is not hiding anything.  Prognosis is good.  You need to start believing in yourself so you can make it though your treatment.  Please this is so important, if you truely believe you will fail at ANYTHING, you usually do.  Please take care of yourself, I am really worried for you.

Mary

washoegal
                  Participant

You forgot to add you have had your SNLB and it was clear.  That is an essential point in staging anything 1.0 mm and over.  I believe the staging you were given 2B is correct. 

You are letting fear control you.  The doctor is not hiding anything.  Prognosis is good.  You need to start believing in yourself so you can make it though your treatment.  Please this is so important, if you truely believe you will fail at ANYTHING, you usually do.  Please take care of yourself, I am really worried for you.

Mary

LynnLuc
                    Participant

Staging has more to do with the distance and spread and not so much as to if you are going to kick the bucket in 6- 9 months…I am stage 4 and I have bed NED 17 months (NED since March 26, 2010), although I was told in June 2009 from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN  I had 6 to 9 months…

LynnLuc
                      Participant

Staging has more to do with the distance and spread and not so much as to if you are going to kick the bucket in 6- 9 months…I am stage 4 and I have bed NED 17 months (NED since March 26, 2010), although I was told in June 2009 from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN  I had 6 to 9 months…

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics