The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

help with pathology report

Forums General Melanoma Community help with pathology report

Participant

Hello!

I was hoping someone could help me decipher my pathology report. My diagnosis seems a bit rare and doesn't seem related to melanoma but I tend to get very nervous right away. I'd appreciate any help from any kind hearted soul out there.

Diagnosis: Melanocytic Nevus, intradermal type, with focal atypia

Clinical Data: Pearly Papulr R/O Squamous Cell Carcinoma

pecimen Site: Right elbow-shave biopsy

Gross Description: This specimen is a portion of skin measuring (mm) 4×3, 1pc.

Hello!

I was hoping someone could help me decipher my pathology report. My diagnosis seems a bit rare and doesn't seem related to melanoma but I tend to get very nervous right away. I'd appreciate any help from any kind hearted soul out there.

Diagnosis: Melanocytic Nevus, intradermal type, with focal atypia

Clinical Data: Pearly Papulr R/O Squamous Cell Carcinoma

pecimen Site: Right elbow-shave biopsy

Gross Description: This specimen is a portion of skin measuring (mm) 4×3, 1pc.

Microscopic Description:
      Present within the dermis are orderly nests, cords, and strands of melanocytic nevus cells. There is focial atypia present. There is melanin pigmentation present. HMB 45 shows some superficial staning, Ki-67 stains rare singe cells in the lesion. P-16 also shows some scattered positivity. If this is a smaller portion of a larger lesion or recurs, complete removal is recommended to ensure full histologic evaluation.

Okay-so I'm freaking out a bit! Could this come back melanoma once looked at again??

Thank you.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant
          Unlikely. It would have helped if you could have included the final diagnosis, however. I believe the recommendation to remove more is likely based on the extremely small tissue sample removed.They want to make sure the rest of the sample looks similar. It appears the portion removed has some atypical cells but nothing “sinister”.
            jfro
            Participant

Thanks Janner,

The final diagnosis was:

Melancytic Nevus, Intradermal Type, with focal atypia.

All of the stain lingo (some indication of positive markings) and focal atypia confuse me!

Janner
              Participant

The stains are designed to make melanocytes show up in a tissue sample, that's all.  Sometimes multiple stains are used to make sure that all cells are "illuminated".  Without staining, it is much harder to read a pathology slide and look for melanocytes. 

It sounds like with the diagnosis that this may have mild atypia.  Focal means in the central part of the lesion.  This also means that outside the center, the cells show no atypia.  In general, many doctors wouldn't even remove  the lesion to get clear margins.  I do believe that the tiny sample size is the reason they are asking for removal – the pathologist can't be certain there isn't something else there.  However, pathologists often cover their tracks by asking for more removal – just in case.  I, personally, would not be worried about the next removal in the least given the previous diagnosis.  And I also agree that shave biopsies – while easy for the doctor – are the best choice for the patient.

Janner
                Participant

"And I also agree that shave biopsies – while easy for the doctor – are the best choice for the patient."

should read

"And I also agree that shave biopsies – while easy for the doctor – are NOT always the best choice for the patient". 

jfro
                  Participant

Thank you, Janner.

Now looking at my lesion. It seems that it was cut in half. The entire lesion was 5mm and it looks as though 2 mm is left. Do you think this will change the diagnosis? (I'm sorry if this sounds like me being an alarmist!)

Also, the part that says If this is a smaller portion of a larger lesion or recurs, complete removal is recommended to ensure full histologic evaluation. Is this indicated because they aren't sure what it is?

Thanks!

Janner
                    Participant

The lesion is basically benign.  Do I think looking at the rest of the lesion will change this?  Extremely unlikely.  This is a cover your A$$ situation — the pathologist is saying that there is more left behind and complete removal is needed to make sure there isn't anything sinister there.  They've already made a diagnosis which is benign.  They know what it is, they just haven't seen all of it.  I'd say the likelihood of the remainder of the lesion being anything other than what was removed before is EXTREMELY unlikely.  DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS – there is nothing to worry about with this lesion.  This is just doctor's being careful in a society that likes to sue.  Remove everything "to be sure", but I wouldn't spend another minute on this site as it is totally unnecessary!  This lesion is not melanoma, and the remaining portion is not melanoma.  There's not much more that can be said.

jfro
                      Participant

You are correct, Janner. I need people to be blunt and I really like your style. You have really made my night and helped relieve some uncertainity. I really wish more doctors/nurses had your style of explaining things! Thanks again!

jfro
                        Participant

You are correct, Janner. I need people to be blunt and I really like your style. You have really made my night and helped relieve some uncertainity. I really wish more doctors/nurses had your style of explaining things! Thanks again!

jfro
                          Participant

Janner
                            Participant

The lesion is basically benign.  Do I think looking at the rest of the lesion will change this?  Extremely unlikely.  This is a cover your A$$ situation — the pathologist is saying that there is more left behind and complete removal is needed to make sure there isn't anything sinister there.  They've already made a diagnosis which is benign.  They know what it is, they just haven't seen all of it.  I'd say the likelihood of the remainder of the lesion being anything other than what was removed before is EXTREMELY unlikely.  DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS – there is nothing to worry about with this lesion.  This is just doctor's being careful in a society that likes to sue.  Remove everything "to be sure", but I wouldn't spend another minute on this site as it is totally unnecessary!  This lesion is not melanoma, and the remaining portion is not melanoma.  There's not much more that can be said.

Janner
                              Participant

jfro
                                Participant

Thank you, Janner.

Now looking at my lesion. It seems that it was cut in half. The entire lesion was 5mm and it looks as though 2 mm is left. Do you think this will change the diagnosis? (I'm sorry if this sounds like me being an alarmist!)

Also, the part that says If this is a smaller portion of a larger lesion or recurs, complete removal is recommended to ensure full histologic evaluation. Is this indicated because they aren't sure what it is?

Thanks!

jfro
                                  Participant

Thank you, Janner.

Thanks!

Janner
                                    Participant

"And I also agree that shave biopsies – while easy for the doctor – are the best choice for the patient."

should read

"And I also agree that shave biopsies – while easy for the doctor – are NOT always the best choice for the patient". 

Janner
                                      Participant

should read

Janner
                                        Participant

The stains are designed to make melanocytes show up in a tissue sample, that's all.  Sometimes multiple stains are used to make sure that all cells are "illuminated".  Without staining, it is much harder to read a pathology slide and look for melanocytes. 

It sounds like with the diagnosis that this may have mild atypia.  Focal means in the central part of the lesion.  This also means that outside the center, the cells show no atypia.  In general, many doctors wouldn't even remove  the lesion to get clear margins.  I do believe that the tiny sample size is the reason they are asking for removal – the pathologist can't be certain there isn't something else there.  However, pathologists often cover their tracks by asking for more removal – just in case.  I, personally, would not be worried about the next removal in the least given the previous diagnosis.  And I also agree that shave biopsies – while easy for the doctor – are the best choice for the patient.

Janner
                                          Participant

jfro
                                            Participant

Thanks Janner,

The final diagnosis was:

All of the stain lingo (some indication of positive markings) and focal atypia confuse me!

jfro
                                              Participant

Thanks Janner,

The final diagnosis was:

Janner
                                              Participant
                                                Unlikely. It would have helped if you could have included the final diagnosis, however. I believe the recommendation to remove more is likely based on the extremely small tissue sample removed.They want to make sure the rest of the sample looks similar. It appears the portion removed has some atypical cells but nothing “sinister”.
                                                Janner
                                                Participant
                                                  POW
                                                  Participant

Please be aware that I am not a doctor, so take my words for what they are worth.

A "nevus" is the medical term for a mole. Melanocytes are normal skin cells that contain melanin; they expand in the sun and give you a tan. So you have a dark-colored mole. Under the microscope and with special stains, there are some "funny-looking" spots (focial atypia) but nothing too alarming. The foci could be pre-squamous cell cancer, but there is no indication of malignant melanoma. However, if they only removed part of the mole, or if it comes back, they should make sure to remove all of it just to be safe. OK?

By the way, I would never let anyone remove ANY "suspicious lesion" from my skin using a shave biopsy. They MUST perform a punch biopsy. If (God forbid) the lesion turns out to be malignant melanoma, they MUST get a depth of lesion to correctly stage the cancer. With a shave biopsy, they can't determine the depth of the lesion (which is why my brother is currently Stage IV with brain mets).

POW
                                                    Participant

Please be aware that I am not a doctor, so take my words for what they are worth.

A "nevus" is the medical term for a mole. Melanocytes are normal skin cells that contain melanin; they expand in the sun and give you a tan. So you have a dark-colored mole. Under the microscope and with special stains, there are some "funny-looking" spots (focial atypia) but nothing too alarming. The foci could be pre-squamous cell cancer, but there is no indication of malignant melanoma. However, if they only removed part of the mole, or if it comes back, they should make sure to remove all of it just to be safe. OK?

By the way, I would never let anyone remove ANY "suspicious lesion" from my skin using a shave biopsy. They MUST perform a punch biopsy. If (God forbid) the lesion turns out to be malignant melanoma, they MUST get a depth of lesion to correctly stage the cancer. With a shave biopsy, they can't determine the depth of the lesion (which is why my brother is currently Stage IV with brain mets).

jfro
                                                        Participant

POW-

I appreciate the time you took to explain that to me. I did not know that about a shave, I will be sure to not allow that at any other time!!

This may sound crazy but how possible is it for the second report to show something different as the first? Most of the mole was taken. There is only a little part left. Thanks!

jfro
                                                          Participant

POW-

I appreciate the time you took to explain that to me. I did not know that about a shave, I will be sure to not allow that at any other time!!

This may sound crazy but how possible is it for the second report to show something different as the first? Most of the mole was taken. There is only a little part left. Thanks!

POW
                                                            Participant

When you say "second report", do you mean that the same set of microscope slides was read a second time? Or do you mean that this mole was biopsied before and now, on another biopsy, the results are different?

POW
                                                              Participant

When you say "second report", do you mean that the same set of microscope slides was read a second time? Or do you mean that this mole was biopsied before and now, on another biopsy, the results are different?

POW
                                                                Participant

jfro
                                                                  Participant

POW-

POW
                                                                  Participant

LynnLuc
                                                                    Participant

I am impressed by your biopsy report and its use of antigin staining results…so much more advanced then my initial biopsy was.  Perhaps this www could give you some understanding  http://www.ventana.com/product/121?type=115

Just wait for the results…its very early regardless of the diagnosis.Wondering why you say its's rare? Did your oncologist give you a name for it? 

LynnLuc
                                                                      Participant

I am impressed by your biopsy report and its use of antigin staining results…so much more advanced then my initial biopsy was.  Perhaps this www could give you some understanding  http://www.ventana.com/product/121?type=115

Just wait for the results…its very early regardless of the diagnosis.Wondering why you say its's rare? Did your oncologist give you a name for it? 

jfro
                                                                          Participant

POW-The mole is going to be excised again to make sure everything is taken. So I was wondering about that next report. What is it looking for?

Also-I am not seeing an oncologist. I have not been diagnosed with anything. I Just had a mole taken off a few weeks ago from my regular derm.

POW
                                                                            Participant

Oh. I see. Well, it seems to me that you're on the right track (remember, I'm not a doctor). The pathologist said that if they had not removed all of the mole, they should go back and get the rest of it. So that's what your doctor is going to do. They will probably send this specimen to the pathologist, too, to make sure (under the microscope) that the whole thing has been removed (i.e., the margins are clear). That all sounds good.

And you are correct. Since you have not been diagonosed with malignant melanoma you don't need to see an oncologist.

POW
                                                                              Participant

Oh. I see. Well, it seems to me that you're on the right track (remember, I'm not a doctor). The pathologist said that if they had not removed all of the mole, they should go back and get the rest of it. So that's what your doctor is going to do. They will probably send this specimen to the pathologist, too, to make sure (under the microscope) that the whole thing has been removed (i.e., the margins are clear). That all sounds good.

And you are correct. Since you have not been diagonosed with malignant melanoma you don't need to see an oncologist.

POW
                                                                                Participant

jfro
                                                                                  Participant

Thank you, POW.

I understand you're not a doctor but you have given me more information than the nurse provided me. I struggle with a lot of anxiety issues and a mole that was supposed to be nothing has sent alarm bells off from this path report.

With anxiety, I tend to always think the worst. Although, there is no indication of melanoma, waiting for the final report will be very difficult. I must tell myself that a diagnosis cannot completey alter when looking at the same lesion. There is only a very small piece left of mole.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to help calm an anxiety ridden gal.

All my best to you!

jfro
                                                                                    Participant

Thank you, POW.

I understand you're not a doctor but you have given me more information than the nurse provided me. I struggle with a lot of anxiety issues and a mole that was supposed to be nothing has sent alarm bells off from this path report.

With anxiety, I tend to always think the worst. Although, there is no indication of melanoma, waiting for the final report will be very difficult. I must tell myself that a diagnosis cannot completey alter when looking at the same lesion. There is only a very small piece left of mole.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to help calm an anxiety ridden gal.

All my best to you!

POW
                                                                                      Participant

My husband is an anxiety freak, too, and especially phobic about cancer. A wouldn't you know, a funny-looking freckle that suddenly turned black. It was on his forearm and he noticed the change at once, went immediately to the dermatologist and had it removed. It was a very, very small melanoma in situ. 

That was 15 years ago, and he is fine now. But from that day to this, I scan every inch of his skin every month and he goes to the dermatologist for a scan every 6 months.  The has learned to trust this "team" and that eases his anxiety.

My brother, on the other hand, kept refusing to have a funny-looking "freckle" on his leg removed for 2 years. "Oh, that's always been there." he said. Well, now he's got Stage IV melanoma with brain mets.

I think the lesson is: malignant melanoma is very rare. Basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas are much more common, but they are much less aggressive and easily treatable. Respect your own level of concern– don't pooh-pooh things like my brother did. Know the warning signs of malignant melanoma (what they call "ABCD"). Look at lots of pictures of different melanomas on the Internet. Then teach someone close to you what to look for. Scan yourself once a month. Have a friend or your spouse scan you once every couple of months. And visit a good dermatologist (with melanoma experience, not acne experience) twice a year. Then knowing that you have taken all reasonable precautions, forget about it!

POW
                                                                                        Participant

My husband is an anxiety freak, too, and especially phobic about cancer. A wouldn't you know, a funny-looking freckle that suddenly turned black. It was on his forearm and he noticed the change at once, went immediately to the dermatologist and had it removed. It was a very, very small melanoma in situ. 

That was 15 years ago, and he is fine now. But from that day to this, I scan every inch of his skin every month and he goes to the dermatologist for a scan every 6 months.  The has learned to trust this "team" and that eases his anxiety.

My brother, on the other hand, kept refusing to have a funny-looking "freckle" on his leg removed for 2 years. "Oh, that's always been there." he said. Well, now he's got Stage IV melanoma with brain mets.

I think the lesson is: malignant melanoma is very rare. Basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas are much more common, but they are much less aggressive and easily treatable. Respect your own level of concern– don't pooh-pooh things like my brother did. Know the warning signs of malignant melanoma (what they call "ABCD"). Look at lots of pictures of different melanomas on the Internet. Then teach someone close to you what to look for. Scan yourself once a month. Have a friend or your spouse scan you once every couple of months. And visit a good dermatologist (with melanoma experience, not acne experience) twice a year. Then knowing that you have taken all reasonable precautions, forget about it!

POW
                                                                                          Participant

jfro
                                                                                            Participant

Thank you, POW.

All my best to you!

jfro
                                                                                              Participant

POW-The mole is going to be excised again to make sure everything is taken. So I was wondering about that next report. What is it looking for?

Also-I am not seeing an oncologist. I have not been diagnosed with anything. I Just had a mole taken off a few weeks ago from my regular derm.

jfro
                                                                                                Participant

LynnLuc
                                                                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics