The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help understanding my Pathology Report

Forums General Melanoma Community Help understanding my Pathology Report

Participant

Hi,

I had a mole removed a month ago and was diagnosed with invasive superficial spreading malignant melanoma.  I went back a couple of week later for a wide local excision and I had the stiches out 2 weeks ago.  I have just managed to get a copy of my first pathology report and it says the following:

Ellipse of skin measuring 16x7mm with 4mm of underlying tissue.  On surface there is a slightly raised roughened pigmented area measuring 5x5mm

HISTOLOGY

The sections show skin with underlying adipose tissue and containing invasive/vertical growth phase superficial spreading malignant melanoma.

It is predominantly in situ but there is focal regression.  The small amount of invasive melanoma has a Breslow thickness of 0.4mm and infiltrates the dermis the Clark's level II.

No vascular invasion is seen.

There is a moderate tumour associated lymphoid infiltrate.

Dermal mitotic figures are not seen.

There is no surface ucleration and satellite lesions are not present.

The lesion appears completly excised with the nearest transverse margin at 2mm and the deep margin at 4.5mm from the invasive component.

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate it if anybody could help me:

1. Does Invasive and Vertical Growth Phase mean the same thing?

2. If it has had regression, does that mean it could have been deeper before my immune system attacked it and therefore could have already gone elsewhere?

3. It says the deep margins is clear by 4.5mm but it says only 4mm of underlying tissue was removed and if bresolow thickness 0.4mm  then that doest add up exactly.

4. Should I have had my glands checked as I havent and I will be getting them checked in 3 months time?

I may be looking in to this all too much but ive felt so unwell with asthma and stomach pains, it makes my imagination run away with me and I start wondering if its maybe something worse.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        natasha
        Participant

Hi! I had very similiar path report. Invasive and vertical phase is different things. My melanoma is 0.2 Breslow (so it is invasive) but radial phase only (not vertical).

I do not think it can be deeper and your immune system just attacked and cleared some of the depth . don't think it is possible.

Your lesion was completely cut out , doctor cut deeper and wide around the mole.

Sorry if my English is not very good but I hope you understand what I wanted to say.

Good luck to you!!!

natasha
          Participant

Hi! I had very similiar path report. Invasive and vertical phase is different things. My melanoma is 0.2 Breslow (so it is invasive) but radial phase only (not vertical).

I do not think it can be deeper and your immune system just attacked and cleared some of the depth . don't think it is possible.

Your lesion was completely cut out , doctor cut deeper and wide around the mole.

Sorry if my English is not very good but I hope you understand what I wanted to say.

Good luck to you!!!

natasha
            Participant

Good luck to you!!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics