The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

HELP – Possible In-Transit Recurrence after 10 Years NED

Forums General Melanoma Community HELP – Possible In-Transit Recurrence after 10 Years NED

Participant
      This is Hawaii Bob … I was here for a few years after being diagnosed in 2008 with a Stage IIA SSM melanoma on bottom of left foot 2nd toe, plantar at junction of toe/foot. Treated with WLE (toe amputation) and Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy which turned negative for mets. My primary was 2.40 mm Breslow …I’ve been NED for over 10 years …. and there wasn’t any signs of anything when I had last derm appointment for full body in early January 2019.

I think I may have an in-transit met on the outer margin of my left foot, plantar (about 2 – 3 inches from original tumor site) … Single lesion that’s very small, has some very subtle, slight tan pigment, smaller than pencil eraser but it doesn’t feel like a BB or pea underneath…. It feels like it’s superficial ….However, the podiatrist I saw 2 days ago said it was a lesion of some sort because there weren’t skin lines in it…. It was elevated but that appears to have been dead skin/callous (he trimmed it back and it didn’t bleed)….

I’ve read that some in-transits can feel flat and not firm or hard underneath. I see a derm this afternoon and am pretty uptight but not yet in freak-out mode ….. Question for anyone who had a recurrence with in-transit disease…

How did your in-transit present ? Was it hard or firm underneath or was it fairly soft and feel superficial ?

I can’t believe this may have come back after 10 years but, yes, I knew it could ….

Appreciate any responses, THANKS !

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MarkR
        Participant
          Hi Bob
          I presented with an intransit Met 12 years after initial diagnosis. Mine felt like a hard pea sized lump just under the skin. Mine was different to what you are describing so I hope yours is nothing to worry about – just make sure you get it checked out thoroughly and by someone experience. Mine was misdiagnosed early on by a GP u til I pushed for a second opinion
          Best wishes Mark
          SOLE
          Participant
            Dear Bob,

I had a very similar lesion just like yours in July 2016 although mine was amelanotic, nodular and ulcerated (and a little deeper 2.85mm and negative nodes, finally)… I am far from begin 10 years out (approaching 3 years in september) but from everything I read, despite your own readings, an in-transit as you are describing should present as a hard pea size lump if its going to recur near your original scar. Of course I am no expert but from my findings of plantar melanomas like yours and mine, I’ve never seen a recurrence described like what you are describing. That said, let us (me!) know how it goes with your dermatologist the afternoon. I expect he/she will take a biopsy and thats what you need to rule out the sucker. I wish you well and hope to hear from you very soon.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics