The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help, Please. Need Advice on Letting Go and Destressing

Forums General Melanoma Community Help, Please. Need Advice on Letting Go and Destressing

Participant

We had a HORRIBLE experience at the hospital yesterday. If you want details you can visit https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/roychappell/journal and read the post from the 22nd, including the comment. I woke up feeling like a Mack truck had hit me and I know that however bad I feel, Roy is probably feeling 20 times worse. I have channeled my anger appropriately, to the proper people in a factual manner and I have been assured by the Quality Director and Risk Manager of the Hospital that she will "open an investigation into what happened to you and your husband yesterday.  I will respond to you in writing with the results of the investigation and any needed changes to the processes needed.  Thank you for your feedback.  We cannot make changes unless we are aware of the concerns and issues. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.". So I feel that I have been constructive, hopefully preventing something like this from happening to others in the future, but I'm still just plain ole MAD. They stole a day of our lives from us that we can never get back. I'm going to let myself cry just a little, then I'm going to go and hold my husband and snuggle with him and be grateful for today. I might even break the sugar ban and have some Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream :). I have a feeling that this experience is going to be a little tough to let go of though, Anyone have any suggestions? I have to hold so much in for my husband's sake that I feel like I am going to self-implode one of these days. I tell myself to put my big girl panties on, because I KNOW that so many of you are in much worse positions with young children, while our children are grown and my husband is 70 and has had a good life. I KNOW that but I also know that what happened yesterday didn't have to happen and I am just plain ANGRY on behalf of every hospital patient ever.  If you are a praying person, please pray for me to find the strength to be a better, stronger person and let this go. If you're not into prayer, good vibes and positive thoughts are appreciated too. Love and hugs to all of you who have to go through on this awful journey. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Sorry, Allison.  I think you gave yourself the answer, I'll come back to that.  But, I will tell you that I would never have made it this far in my 14 year melanoma journey, without laughing at the rediculous and infuriating shit I've had to deal with. Completely oblivious providers that spend MY time talking about car repair and spackle.  Horrible experiences with the TSA and car rental folks. (I had to travel for my trial.) Nurses and others who clearly had no idea what they were doing.  Here is a letter I wrote to a physician after a particularly infuriating encounter:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2011/12/hands-down-most-obnoxious-infuriating.html  

Like you, I clearly reported the incident to the physician and his supervisor!!  I don't know how much of a difference it made….but I did get a written response and phone call from the supervisor and a written apology from the perpetrator.  Perhaps, he learned something and has become a much  better provider and human.  Perhaps, he had his arm twisted and the reply was written under extreme duress.  Either way…I can at least feel that I did the best I could with the situation and laugh at how the conversations in the aftermath went down.

Here is just one other ludicrous event I recounted…if you are bored or need to laugh:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2011/05/6-months-down1-more-trip-to-go-well-2.html  

So…your answer…that YOU already noted:  1.  Take the best action you can in order to do the best you can to help others and turn the experience into something that makes sense.  2.  Tell someone…even if they are only those off in the inter-webs!  3.  Breathe.  4.  Recognize what is REALLY important – your peep!!!  5. Laugh.  

There really is nothing else.  Hang in there.  You got this.  Celeste

AliCat61
            Participant

Thank you so much, Celeste. Your support means the world to me. I've already received a phone call from the Director of Radiology confirming that it really was a "perfect storm". Every mistake that could possibly have been made was made, and everything that could go wrong did. However, she said that this morning after a thorough investigation, they made 3 key procedural changes that should prevent this from ever happening to anyone else. For that I am grateful.  

And oh wow! I laughed and I cried after reading about your experience. Thank you for sharing!

Bubbles
              Participant

That's great!!! It is awful that you and your husband had to deal with crap…but at least you turned your misery into efforts that will make life better for others!!!  Yep….melanoma requires laughter, tears, and a village of peeps!!!  Hang in there!  c

marta010
              Participant

HI Alison – I'd be willing to bet that everyone on this forum has experienced the "perfect storm" of medical ineptitude at least once.  If not, they are much more patient than I am.  Our most recent storm occurred at a follow up appointment after my husband had Mohs surgery to remove a squamous cell carcinoma that developed as a side effect from dabrafenib.  In the course of casual conversation with the dermatologist, I made some comment about my husband's port.  She looked at him quizically and asked why he had a port…did he have cancer?  OH MY GOD…..he's been a patient at this clinic for the past 5 years, diagnosed with metastatic melanoma in 2012.  Didn't she even glance at his chart??? Shouldn't that be pretty obvious?  We were too stunned to even respond.  I get that she was a new provider who hasn't been actively involved in his care prior to the Mohs procedure but come on.  I called the clinic administrator the next day to discuss what seemed to be a significant gap in knowledge of my husband's medical condition.  She relayed my concern to the clinic Medical Director and the take away was that they weren't sure any physician would know that my husband had a port…..WHAT…..our issue was that the physician didn't know he had been actively receiving treatment for metastic melanoma for 5 years.  Still shaking my head over this one.  This is not the first "storm" event – and, unfortunately, my guess is it won't be the last.  Somehow, my husband who is the patient, always takes these care hiccups better than I do. Sending prayers for a smoother appointment next time around!

Ann 

AliCat61
                  Participant

Ann, I agree. That's awful! I'm with you. Isn't it her responsibility to READ the chart before seeing the patient?  Way too many folk in the medical field have tunnel vision. They see only the immediate problem at and have little interest in the patient as a whole. I am so sorry that happened to you and I thank you for the prayers!

We did have a small victory yesterday, for which I am grateful. We were doing the whole pre-admit thing for the port…We're trying again on Tuesday. I asked that they take a look at all of the bloodwork that was done earlier this week and they did, deciding they wouldn't need to take more blood. It's the little things, lol! We counted it as a win and celebrated, lol!

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics