The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help Please! Got this yesterday from CT/PET scan..Kind of long

Forums General Melanoma Community Help Please! Got this yesterday from CT/PET scan..Kind of long

Participant

CONCLUSION: CONCLUSION:
      1. Focus of hypermetabolic activity in the questionable focal skin
      thickening in the region of the left armpit. Significance of this is
      uncertain. Clinical correlation is recommended.
      2. Focus of hypermetabolic activity in the focal skin thickening of
      the left suprapubic region. Clinical correlation is recommended.
      3. Focus of mild hyper embolic activity in the region of the right
      anterior chest which probably represent normal physiologic activity.
      Correlation with mammography is recommended.
      4. Focus of hypermetabolic activity in the the inferior aspect of the
      right calcaneus bone. There is spurring seen in this area on
      corresponding CT exam. This may represent plantar fasciitis.

They forgot to send the head part, I get it today. all the Dr. said over the phone(" It's not as bad as I thought it would be") Told me that he would talk to me this afternoon, about when is the best time to get to Maryland, NCI, he doesn't want anyone  touching me here n Columbus, Ga. Can anyone get anything out of this? Just tired of this waiting game, it took 4 wks to get the CT/PET scan. And What should I do now?

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Teri, I

would want to get second opinion from  Dr. Weber at the Moffit and or Dr. Jedd Wolchock at Sloan Kettering,and or Dr. Pardol at Sidney Kimmel Cancer centerat Johns Hopkins. You may also want to have your tumors biopsied for C-kit, MEK,BRAF. Have your blood tested to see if you are HLA -02 positive.

Dr. Pardol

Office Phone: (410) 955-7866
          Fax: (410) 614-0549
          Email: [email protected]

Dr. Wolchok

Phone: +1 646 888 2395
          e-mail: [email protected]

Dr. Jeffery Weber

Telephone: 813-745-2691;

Fax: 813-745-5838;

email;[email protected]                                                                                                    

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Teri, I

would want to get second opinion from  Dr. Weber at the Moffit and or Dr. Jedd Wolchock at Sloan Kettering,and or Dr. Pardol at Sidney Kimmel Cancer centerat Johns Hopkins. You may also want to have your tumors biopsied for C-kit, MEK,BRAF. Have your blood tested to see if you are HLA -02 positive.

Dr. Pardol

Dr. Wolchok

Dr. Jeffery Weber

email;[email protected]                                                                                                    

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

Teri, I

Dr. Pardol

Dr. Wolchok

Dr. Jeffery Weber

email;[email protected]                                                                                                    

jim Breitfeller
              Participant

Teri, I

Dr. Pardol

Dr. Wolchok

Dr. Jeffery Weber

email;[email protected]                                                                                                    

Valentine
                Participant

What I am getting out of the medical mumbo jumbo is that they found a few areas that may or may not be something.  They want a doctor to look at it (clinical correlation).

Valentine
                  Participant

What I am getting out of the medical mumbo jumbo is that they found a few areas that may or may not be something.  They want a doctor to look at it (clinical correlation).

Jerry from Cape Cod
                    Participant

The other thing to put into the equation that a PET scan showing sugar uptake just gives the doctors a place to look closer with equipment that is designed for finer detail, ie, CT and MRI mostly with contrast. 

The info that I have received indicates that most doctors view the PET scan as giving a general overall view and the CT and MRI a better diagnostic tool and far more accurate in followups and measurements.

All that being said the radiologist generally said these are the places to look closer and nothing more.

His advise about NCI seems excellent.

You do need to get to a Melanoma center like NCI or any of the other well known facilities.  The benefit of NCI is there is no charge for there service.

Jerry from Cape Cod

TerriNGa
                        Participant

Hello Jerry, I had a CT alone with a PET scan. I typed n the Conclusion. This time I am gonna type the whole page and if u don't mind tell u alittle about what else is going on with me.My procedure was-NMD-PET CT IMAG FULL BODY CPT. reason for exam- MALIGNANT MELANOMA, FINDINGS: Melanoma, initial staging. There is a focus of hypermetabolic activity in seen in the region of the left armpit on image 107. There appears to be skin thickening in this area on corresponding CT exam. There is a focus of mild to moderate hypermetabolic activity seen in the region of anterior chest wall on image 127. No definite abnormality is seen in this area on corresponding CT exam.There is focus of hypermetabolic activity seen in the focal skin thickening of the suprapublic region on the left on image 242. There is focus of hypermetabolic activity seen in the muscle of the right anterior thigh on image 356 which probably represent normal physiologic activity. There is focus of hypermetabolic activity is seen in the inferior aspect of calcaneus bone on the right on image 115. There is spurring seen in this area on corresponding Ct exam.

There are emphysematous changes seen in the lungs bilaterally. There is enlarged uterus which has multiple consistent with fibroids.

Conclusion was what I type n Help please!!. So here is whats going on now with me, and what got me back on this road again. I had a check up with my GYN, I knew about the enlarged Uterus(because I had a Vag. ultrasound) plus I had some tissuse removed from my Uterus to be tested for cancer, came back neg. for cancer, but Nov.2, I have a total hyster,including my ovaries removed.For other reasons also, heaving bleeding, pain, etc.

When we picked up my PET/ct dvds, & paperwork, we also dropped off a set with my cancer dr( that has told me from the beinging sept 24, that he or no other Dr here in Columbus, Ga can really do anything for me but try to get me somewhere, because no one here really knows anything about melanoma. so He has been the one telling me about this new trial at NCI that has very few side effects, and has a very high rate of stopping mel. My hubby spoke to the cancer dr. on wednesday about the results, he said then that maybe for my left underarm pit I should go to a infections diease Dr( Because at 1 time I had staff under my left arm pit, that no antibotics would take care of, at times it drains, green junk that smells like toe jam or worse,sometimes it drains something that looks like water, I did have a needle bio. done on it ,& what was in the needle looked like milk that had sat out for days,I asked would they be sending that off to be tested( said no that it was the same thing that was in my pubic hair area) They keep telling me they where abcesses, they did do a cotton swab culture on the pubic area and it came back to be to types of infections that were in my upper & lower intestions.( they said that everybody had these problesm)put on more antibotics. anyway I felt like this cancer dr was leading me on so I myself spoke with a team member at NCI, said they had nothing on me, and have not spoken to a Dr. Tidwell about me but that maybe he has been talking to the Dr. She did ask me a couple of questions about  my medical history, Do I smoke?(hate to say but yes, been trying to quit, been trying patch to electrion cig, to cold turkey. She told me then(NCI) that I could not come up there for this treatment because I needed some lung test, and I need to see what type of infection is under my armpit, and that my cancer dr, should have told me all this if he had really been talking to someone at NCI. I feel like Iam getting alot of run around, don't know what else to do, scared. I don't know if i can do this, or if u would do this But is there anyway u can call me or I can call u, if u feel up to it, so much easy to talk then type to me. My number is 706-289-4999, cell # that is unlimited calls. Thanks so much for helping me out.

TerriNGa
                          Participant

Hello Jerry, I had a CT alone with a PET scan. I typed n the Conclusion. This time I am gonna type the whole page and if u don't mind tell u alittle about what else is going on with me.My procedure was-NMD-PET CT IMAG FULL BODY CPT. reason for exam- MALIGNANT MELANOMA, FINDINGS: Melanoma, initial staging. There is a focus of hypermetabolic activity in seen in the region of the left armpit on image 107. There appears to be skin thickening in this area on corresponding CT exam. There is a focus of mild to moderate hypermetabolic activity seen in the region of anterior chest wall on image 127. No definite abnormality is seen in this area on corresponding CT exam.There is focus of hypermetabolic activity seen in the focal skin thickening of the suprapublic region on the left on image 242. There is focus of hypermetabolic activity seen in the muscle of the right anterior thigh on image 356 which probably represent normal physiologic activity. There is focus of hypermetabolic activity is seen in the inferior aspect of calcaneus bone on the right on image 115. There is spurring seen in this area on corresponding Ct exam.

There are emphysematous changes seen in the lungs bilaterally. There is enlarged uterus which has multiple consistent with fibroids.

Conclusion was what I type n Help please!!. So here is whats going on now with me, and what got me back on this road again. I had a check up with my GYN, I knew about the enlarged Uterus(because I had a Vag. ultrasound) plus I had some tissuse removed from my Uterus to be tested for cancer, came back neg. for cancer, but Nov.2, I have a total hyster,including my ovaries removed.For other reasons also, heaving bleeding, pain, etc.

When we picked up my PET/ct dvds, & paperwork, we also dropped off a set with my cancer dr( that has told me from the beinging sept 24, that he or no other Dr here in Columbus, Ga can really do anything for me but try to get me somewhere, because no one here really knows anything about melanoma. so He has been the one telling me about this new trial at NCI that has very few side effects, and has a very high rate of stopping mel. My hubby spoke to the cancer dr. on wednesday about the results, he said then that maybe for my left underarm pit I should go to a infections diease Dr( Because at 1 time I had staff under my left arm pit, that no antibotics would take care of, at times it drains, green junk that smells like toe jam or worse,sometimes it drains something that looks like water, I did have a needle bio. done on it ,& what was in the needle looked like milk that had sat out for days,I asked would they be sending that off to be tested( said no that it was the same thing that was in my pubic hair area) They keep telling me they where abcesses, they did do a cotton swab culture on the pubic area and it came back to be to types of infections that were in my upper & lower intestions.( they said that everybody had these problesm)put on more antibotics. anyway I felt like this cancer dr was leading me on so I myself spoke with a team member at NCI, said they had nothing on me, and have not spoken to a Dr. Tidwell about me but that maybe he has been talking to the Dr. She did ask me a couple of questions about  my medical history, Do I smoke?(hate to say but yes, been trying to quit, been trying patch to electrion cig, to cold turkey. She told me then(NCI) that I could not come up there for this treatment because I needed some lung test, and I need to see what type of infection is under my armpit, and that my cancer dr, should have told me all this if he had really been talking to someone at NCI. I feel like Iam getting alot of run around, don't know what else to do, scared. I don't know if i can do this, or if u would do this But is there anyway u can call me or I can call u, if u feel up to it, so much easy to talk then type to me. My number is 706-289-4999, cell # that is unlimited calls. Thanks so much for helping me out.

TerriNGa
                            Participant

TerriNGa
                              Participant

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                Participant

Terri,

It's deep breath time….

There are some excellent melanoma centers in the south.  I would sugget that you ask your doctors to work out a plan for you to follow with referrals to melanoma centers and what needs to be done to start getting the other medical issues in order.

Are you taking notes when you visit the doctors?  Also, might be a good thing to take someone along who can take the notes for you.  It's sometimes alot easier when you are discussing treatment options and hospitals.  I find it a lot easier to have the note pad or a small tape recorder.  The doctors won't mind being taped.

Others from the southern states can join in to recommend centers and doctors.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                  Participant

Terri,

It's deep breath time….

There are some excellent melanoma centers in the south.  I would sugget that you ask your doctors to work out a plan for you to follow with referrals to melanoma centers and what needs to be done to start getting the other medical issues in order.

Are you taking notes when you visit the doctors?  Also, might be a good thing to take someone along who can take the notes for you.  It's sometimes alot easier when you are discussing treatment options and hospitals.  I find it a lot easier to have the note pad or a small tape recorder.  The doctors won't mind being taped.

Others from the southern states can join in to recommend centers and doctors.

Jerry from Cape Cod

TerriNGa
                                    Participant

I always take notes, always have questions, If I don't understand something I keep asking until I do understand, plus my hubby goes with his notes & questions also. BUT we have only been to this Dr 1 time, when he stated that there was nothing he could do but to get me to NCI. He only does phone calls. Because he said that the PET/CT scans looked good,alone with the blood wk, and that he was sending the whole package to NCI. Thats why I called them myself, asked questions, and found out that I can't go up there till He gets the lung test done & I get whatever is under my arm checked out. Anyway thanks, Melanoma will have to be put on back burner till after my operation Nov.2 and then it looks like Me & hubby will have to get together to figure out what?where? to go from here.

TerriNGa
                                      Participant

I always take notes, always have questions, If I don't understand something I keep asking until I do understand, plus my hubby goes with his notes & questions also. BUT we have only been to this Dr 1 time, when he stated that there was nothing he could do but to get me to NCI. He only does phone calls. Because he said that the PET/CT scans looked good,alone with the blood wk, and that he was sending the whole package to NCI. Thats why I called them myself, asked questions, and found out that I can't go up there till He gets the lung test done & I get whatever is under my arm checked out. Anyway thanks, Melanoma will have to be put on back burner till after my operation Nov.2 and then it looks like Me & hubby will have to get together to figure out what?where? to go from here.

TerriNGa
                                        Participant

TerriNGa
                                          Participant

LynnLuc
                                            Participant

I went for an eval at the NIH for one of Dr Rosenberg's trials…they wanted to wait until it returned…as I am NED since surgery in March . I opted for Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa and Dr Weber…I personally perfer Dr Weber over the NIH for several reasons…Also from talking with many people I found the NIH is very selective so it you have any underlying health issues they will exclude you from their trials…I am stage 4 Melanoma NED and I believe being proactive in my treatment choices and prayer has brought me thus far. I am  currently in a trial using MDX-1106 and peptides…hoping to prevent it's return!

LynnLuc
                                              Participant

I went for an eval at the NIH for one of Dr Rosenberg's trials…they wanted to wait until it returned…as I am NED since surgery in March . I opted for Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa and Dr Weber…I personally perfer Dr Weber over the NIH for several reasons…Also from talking with many people I found the NIH is very selective so it you have any underlying health issues they will exclude you from their trials…I am stage 4 Melanoma NED and I believe being proactive in my treatment choices and prayer has brought me thus far. I am  currently in a trial using MDX-1106 and peptides…hoping to prevent it's return!

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                              Participant

The other thing to put into the equation that a PET scan showing sugar uptake just gives the doctors a place to look closer with equipment that is designed for finer detail, ie, CT and MRI mostly with contrast. 

The info that I have received indicates that most doctors view the PET scan as giving a general overall view and the CT and MRI a better diagnostic tool and far more accurate in followups and measurements.

All that being said the radiologist generally said these are the places to look closer and nothing more.

His advise about NCI seems excellent.

You do need to get to a Melanoma center like NCI or any of the other well known facilities.  The benefit of NCI is there is no charge for there service.

Jerry from Cape Cod

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

Jerry from Cape Cod said it very well. 

P,S, I know my knee was mangled in a car wreck in 1980, didn't need the 2007 PET to tell me it ws damaged, knew that I had had dental surgery dne in my mouth in the past.  All this causes SUV uptake wihich is what the PET scan measures.  It does not directly measure cancer, just MAY provide a oointer on where to look with finer equipmemt.  Watch for false positives and false negatives.  Know your own body!

JerryfromFauq Stage IV for 5 years with active disease.  Enjoying life anyway!

TerriNGa
                                                    Participant

hey Jerry this is TerriNGa I just put everything down to Jerry from capecod, maybe if u feel like it u could read it also, and call me if u feel like it & see what my next step should be. Thank yall so very much. This all started at the age of 32 yrs old, now Iam 41 & looks like this maybe my biggest fight ever. my phone # is n the reply, don't know why it posted twice

TerriNGa
                                                      Participant

hey Jerry this is TerriNGa I just put everything down to Jerry from capecod, maybe if u feel like it u could read it also, and call me if u feel like it & see what my next step should be. Thank yall so very much. This all started at the age of 32 yrs old, now Iam 41 & looks like this maybe my biggest fight ever. my phone # is n the reply, don't know why it posted twice

TerriNGa
                                                        Participant

TerriNGa
                                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                          Participant

Jerry from Cape Cod said it very well. 

P,S, I know my knee was mangled in a car wreck in 1980, didn't need the 2007 PET to tell me it ws damaged, knew that I had had dental surgery dne in my mouth in the past.  All this causes SUV uptake wihich is what the PET scan measures.  It does not directly measure cancer, just MAY provide a oointer on where to look with finer equipmemt.  Watch for false positives and false negatives.  Know your own body!

JerryfromFauq Stage IV for 5 years with active disease.  Enjoying life anyway!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics